Baltimore: Highly resourceful and dedicated ophthalmologist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baltimore: Highly resourceful and dedicated ophthalmologist

Dr. Gerami Seitzman at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore, who has a really impressive academic background, takes an incredibly multifaceted approach to the treatment of dry eye.

Her diagnostics are quite thorough, but MORE IMPORTANTLY, she is really game for trying a wide range of solutions, and does not limit her directions by whatever diagnosis emerges. In other words, where there are pain and surface sensitivity, she aggressively attempts to treat these, even when an exam shows a healthy-looking cornea and little or no inflammation. So often, this is our first hurdle in accessing successful care.

Dr. Seitzman is quite unique in being interested in collaborating with a patient's internist and/or pain/rehab physician, because she appears to be trying to master the systemic medications already in use to treat pain, in hopes of identifying medications that are helpful with eye pain.

Critical to her approach is her complete appreciation of the emotional devastation that dry eye can cause. This appreciation works its way into the treatment regimens that she offers.

Dr. Seitzman is already working with Leiter's Pharmacy in California, through which she arranges autologous serum for patients who are good candidates, and, possibly, other topical products unavailable through regular formularies.

I do not have the impression that Dr. Seitzman is yet familiar with Dr. Holly's research and products, but since she has already seen several DEZ participants, it is inevitable that she shall have the opportunity to see the responses that Dr. Holly's drops can produce in dry eye patients.

Dr. Seitzman was taking new patients, last I checked, and she may be reached at Phone (410) 601-5991 and Fax (410) 601-8273.
    <Doggedly Determined>

Autologous Serum

Intersting comments, particularly regarding the case where the cornea doesn't look bad and the doctors don't understand why the patient complains of a high degree of pain. I've been there and have been quite frustrated. The doctor claims I should be feeling better given the appearnce of my eye and lid area, but not the case.

I wanted to question you on the autologous serum. This is the first I have run across this treatment. Of course I shall Google it, but thought you could elaborate.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by mlittlem View Post
      The doctor claims I should be feeling better given the appearnce of my eye and lid area, but not the case.
      It is well known that dry eye 'symptoms' and 'signs' do not correlate well, and for example this has long been an issue in getting dry eye drugs FDA approved (as it is necessary to prove improvement to both).

My suggestion to anyone whose doctor is not taking their pain seriously, or who appears to doubt the patient's self-reported symptoms - in fact, my suggestion to all patients regardless! - is that you complete an OSDI form. (Click on the dry eye encyclopedia link at the top and look under O.) Take it to the doctor and make sure they make it part of your medical file. It is a scientifically validated instrument - just as significant, if not more so, than what they're seeing under the slit lamp. If they don't take that seriously, time to get a new doctor.

...autologous serum. This is the first I have run across this treatment.
      I know you're posing the question to Rojzen but I just wanted to mention FYI that there is a forum where there have been several discussions about it over the years:
      http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/forumdisplay.php?f=55
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
      X