Dry Eye Doc in San Diego Area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eye Doc in San Diego Area?

Does anyone know a good dry eye doc in San Diego or a nearby location? I have been to 3 local opthamologists, 1 opthamologist in FL, and one local optometrist and I still am not comfortable 13 months later. I would like to try the control flow plugs. I have lowers currently. I got uppers a few months ago and the excessive tearing was crazy. I was even more miserable (didn't know that was even possible), so I had them removed.

Thanks,
    Jennie

Jennie
    Have you tried Shiley Eye? Dr. Haw and Dr. Schanzlin are well respected in Cornea and Dry Eye. There is also a Dr. Parikh in La Jolla that is good. Thos are three that I personally have spoken to about dry eye disease and how to treat it.

Comment

Thanks for the information. One of the doctors I was seeing was at the Shiley Eye Center. However, he was not one of the doctors that you mentioned. This doctor did try different things, but almost every time I went in I had a different diagnosis. For the first few months, he was convinced I had allergies. However, I went to an allergist, and she could not find anything significant. Then I went to FL and was told I had conjunctivochalasis and blepharitis. The doctor at Shiley did not agree with the conjunctivochalasis. He did agree with the blepaharitis. He had never mentioned that before. Then I went back and was told my glands were blocked by one of the interns. The only thing I do know for sure is my TBUT is 4 or 5. The doctor at Shiley told me that we had tried everything he could think of. We have tried a lot of things, but thanks to this site I know we have not tried everything. I have not tried the control flow plugs, lacriserts, or freshkote. I see you have written about the control flow plugs many times. Do you find they are helpful in preventing the overflow?

I am going to a new primary care doctor soon. I think I am going to focus on what is causing this problem. They have never figured that out. I have never had eye problems before. I never had LASIK and have never worn contacts. I woke up one morning with a supposed eye infection and have never been the same since. Do you have any suggestions for what tests I should ask her to run to try and find a cause?

Thanks,
      Jennie

Comment

Looking for good eye doctors in SD area, we came across this thread. And tried the UCSD Shiley Eye Institute as recommended.

We didn't find Dr. Schanzlin listed at Shiley Eye. And booked Dr. Haw.

The visit was quick. Dr. Haw had a brisk look of the eyes (~10 seconds), and as a matter of factly told us the 3 approaches/stages on treating dry eye.

1. Artificial tear.
        2. Punctual plugs (temporary to see result, and if effective, permanent).
        3. Steriod. E.g. restasis.

There was no diagnosis more than the observation that eyes were dry. No intent to find out what is causing our dry eyes (-- the purpose we went there for, and should be the first step/attempt of a diagnosis I would imagine). What struck us most is he stood up after this, and started moving towards the door, as we were describing our symptoms to him.

After a couple of more exchanges, he laid his hand on the door handle (BTW, the whole time, he didn't close the door to the room. He kept it ajar. This was very strange to us. But we imagined maybe he wanted his students or others in the corridor to hear/observe how he conducts office visits?).

At this point, we just gave up asking any question. It is no use. We wouldn't be able to get any useful answer from him, no matter how hard we would have tried to just say our questions/concerns out.

Perhaps Dr. Hwa was better in 2009. But we would never book a visit with him again. We had expected at least some work ethics.

It took us a few emails with the site administrator to sign up and submit this feedback. I can imagine this process may deter some people from signing up to post. If you know of a good eye doctor in treating dry eye in SD area, please share. Our email is clriufs@gmail.com. Thanks,

Comment

Try Wendy Gross, OD. She runs the dry eye clinic at Gordon-Schanzlin Eye Institute. Another suggestion is Steve Klein, OD in Rancho Bernardo.

Comment

Working...
          X