Cleveland Clinic Diagnostic Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleveland Clinic Diagnostic Program

I recently visitied Cleveland Clinic for full diagnostic of my "bizarre symptoms" and may have finally learned what is causing my dry eye. Currently, I have three potential causes, but no final has been given until I finalize my testings. HOWEVER, I wanted to share the experience with everyone here, especially those who have gone from doc to doc trying to find their cause!

Although it took two months to get into, the program is absolutely amazing.
    Initially, it was to be 2-3 days, however, I had only planned 2 days away. Wished I had stayed.

The process was as follows:

1 Week Prior - Nurse calls to "interview" you to discuss all symptoms and problems. She then conveys this to the doctor.

The very next day, a scheduler calls to discuss all appts. I had four one hour appts setup by the next morning.

Day one - Met with internist and second doctor. Upon each discussing symptoms, they are questioning, questioning, and questioning more. Each does a thorough physical. While discussing symptoms, they are communicating in the computer system and scheduling testings, additional appts, etc.

Day two - Eye appt, CT Scan, Lab Work, additional appt. Was supposed to have another appt, but had to leave due to bad weather.

Day three - Intention was to have four more appts and more tests, however, had to make plans to go back.

By the evening of the second day, I had received a call from the doctor at 9:00 with test results. (Called back third day with three potential causes of my dry eye and other health issues.)

I will go back within a week for further testing to confirm diagnosis.

Although, it was tiring, emotional, etc., the diagnostic program was run so smoothly, that I would recommend this to anyone who is having symptoms and cannot get a diagnosis.

I have spent 7 months, lots of money, and many hours crying and trying to get some understanding as to how this all happened and wondering if anyone would ever consider this more than a psychiatric case. I finally got a team of doctors on my side, working together, and trying to put the "puzzle" together. Although, there is no such thing as a "Dr. House", this was as close to that as you can get.

If you would like any further info regarding this program, please do not hesitate to ask. If you like, you can call Cleveland Clinic and ask for a diagnostic testing, which is what I did.

Where is the Cleveland Clinic? When I googled it, a location in FL came up. Is that the clinic or is there one in Cleveland? I live in California. Do you know of any of these types of diagnostic clinics here on the west coast?

Thanks!
    Jennie

Comment

Cleveland Clinic is located in Cleveland, Ohio. I think there is a great place in Florida that is similiar, but not sure. Unfortunately, I have never been out West to assist.

Comment

JAH, your post may be more important than you realize. I think this is the most comprehensive examination I've ever read about put on a patients' forum about the dry eye process.

All we ever hear is "you have dry eye." The cause is: "1, 2, or 3 or a combination thereof." Do warm compresses, use artificial tears, etc.

I know there is not a cure you're waiting for. I will be interested to have you post more, as much as you're comfortable with about your experience. I wish you the best. Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I am very much looking forward to learning about your diagnosis and your continuing story. Assuming health insurance does not cover something this extensive, i am also interested in learning of your costs. Good luck with everything!

Comment

I have posted in another area all/most of my symptoms. Since there are so many and they have had a cascading effect on my life, I kept looking for a reason. My guess, however, is that if the only symptom was dry eye, this extensive testing would not have been done.

While discussing my symptoms with the doctors, I have discovered that many of these problems may have been going on for awhile, but they were not enough to cause me enough discomfort to go to the doctors. It wasn't until I began having severe dry eye that I began complaining to my doctors. Still, after trying to find the cause and discussing the problems, I explained to the doctors that I can live with pain in my body and swelling, but the most miserable symptoms are the eyes and chemical sensitivity to everything. Of course, they are working to help me, but if there is any way to help the dry eye, I can tolerate anything.... My main point of this is that I wanted the doctors to understand how dehibilitating the dry eye is in comparison to the other symptoms.

To be honest, Lucy, I guess I was hoping that if they found a cause and treated that, then MAYBE, in my case, my dry eye problems would be cured/alleviated. Not sure and have to be realistic, but I have been told that the dry eye is systematic. At this time, I have to wait for additonal tests to find out more. There are probably many more tears (probably unstable) to come.

In regards to health insurance, CC is part of my insurance network, therefore as I understand, they will be paying for most of it. I may get a great surprise later, but upon going forward, I decided that if I was going to lose everything that I worked for and it was going to impact my family as much as it had, then I had to be comfortable that I did everything I could. I did have to pay my copay for each appt and will have to pay a percentage of the testings.
            Of course, I have not completed all testings and appts, so more is to come.

I was hesitant to post this so early since I do not have a definite diagnosis. I am still very scared that I will never find out what is causing all of my problems. But, I have read many postings where most have several symptoms and cannot find an answer. Since it takes awhile to get in, I wanted others to at least be on the appt list if this is the route they would like to take.

I will keep everyone posted. If it would help even one person, then that is even better.

Comment

Working...
            X