Scheffer Tseng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheffer Tseng

Has anyone gone to see Dr Tseng in Miami? If so, did it help you get a good diagnosis? It seems that his diagnostic tests are quite good.

Thanks, Gretchen

I've been seeing Dr. Tseng for about the past 8 years, and I would definitely recommend him. In my case there really wasn't a need for a diagnosis b/c my condition is the expected after effects of Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. However, I see him about once a year to monitor my eyes and note and changes. I can say that he is absolutely dedicated to his research as well as his patients, and he is a very kind and patient doctor. He will always take the time to listen and address any problems that I may bring up, and he always sends me very prompt responses to my emails. I would say that he is definitely a doctor you'd want to know in order to stay in the loop with new advancements, treatments, etc. He is, however, quite busy so I would probably try to call well in advance for an appointment.

I hope this has helped you in some way. Best of luck to you.
    ~marcey.

Comment

I am not sure about this but usually with history and a quick peak at the meibomian glands & ocular surface is all an opthalmologist needs to effectively diagnose and treat dry eye. Staining is probably helpful too.

I've been to tseng and I think his tests are a little unneccesary. I think it is a way for him to make $. Not bad mouthing him but like say someone has MGD all you gotta do is look at their eyelids... you don't even need the microscope. You won't be needing a special adverse envonronment replicator to tell you this.

But if he gives you specialized care that other doctors won't then the extra tests and money are probably worth it!
      Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

I found Dr. Tseng to be very helpful and honest with my condition. He verified my meibomian glands were "constipated" (his term) and I had low tear quantity. A previous doctor cauterized me in all four punctum and told me they were closed and that he couldn't help me anymore. Dr. Tseng told me they were all open and that the previous doctor lacerated my upper left puntum. Dr. Tseng cauterized them and they remained closed for the past five years. Dr. Tseng says that cautery has to be done properly to keep the punctum closed. Dr. Tseng answered all of my questions/emails.

Dr. Tseng wanted me to return for several visits to help his research. The office visits and treatments would be free but I would have to pay the travel costs. I told him I couldn't afford it and I didn't return. If I lived there, I would have helped him out. I believe he was working on some kind of eye warmer at the time.

If you go to him for a visit, I believe he'll be helpful to the best of his ability. Keep in mind that he does dry eye research and may want you to participate in whatever he is working on.

Comment

I concur he is a good doctor but some of those tests are probably a little unneccesary. Did he charge you like 1 grand for your initial appointment? Hey if he gets you seeing great then that is well worth it. Defenitely not bad mouthing him, I like him, he's a good doctor. Just saying.

Is he treating you/your glands?
          Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

from what I hear he is an excellent doctor who cares a lot but he seems to charge SO much for his procedures!

Comment

I paid over two grand for cautery and office visit, plus travel costs. I submitted the medical costs to insurance as out of network. I cannot remember how much insurance covered.

In my opinion, Dr Tseng's research is probably (I have no idea who sponsors him) sponsored by businesses that produce eye products and he probably needs to produce results that will help their businesses. He must manage his expenses and if he can get patients to pay for some of the research costs so that he can continue to help us, more power to him. With that said, some of the tests are probably unnecessary but they will help him demonstrate his research to those he is accountable to. He wants to help us and he wants us to help him. For most of us who live far away, it's too difficult financially to help him out.

Comment

For those of us who have traveled long distances for treatment, probably more than once, the cost to benefit ratio has not been good. I'm not speaking of any dr in particular, especially the ones mentioned in this thread.

To travel to see a doctor, you must arrange for time off work, use your sick days, and then the travel expenses added to that amount to a lot! I've gone by plane and auto, stayed many nights in hotels which is expensive.

From reading and listening to others for almost 10 years doing the same, the results are often disappointing. You must pick your "method." I've usually watched as others went to try out the method first and listened for their opinion as to whether they were helped. If someone is helped, they will usually talk about it hesitation. If they were not helped, usually they will briefly mention it and they drop the matter. No one wants to sound negative all the time, plus it's hard to admit we've spent time and money (again) for something that really didn't help.

So many people get past dry eyes just with the passing of time and the every day methods we all use. I know I want my dry eyes fixed NOW. I've been waiting for many years, but the Lasik job and then Sjogrens has it's own agenda. I'm hoping IPL is a new procedure that is a big help to us. Autumnn is lucky that she lives close to Dr. Toyes and does not have the travel and accommodations issue to think about. We all thank you, Autumnn, for your ongoing reports. Remember folks, what works for one of
                us doesn't always help another. Lucy
                Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                X