I need a good doc in Chicago!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a good doc in Chicago!

Hi, fellow sufferers! I can't tell my story because I don't know what I have! I need a good eye doctor in the Chicago area. Four years ago, while I was living in Mexico, I went to a laser eye center in Chicago while I was visiting, for a check up (because I'd had the surgery in a similar center about ten years ago) since I was having some discomfort and vision problems (I think it was called oscilating scotoma where things get all shimmery around the edges?), and the doctor did a test and said I had dry eyes and prescribed Restasis. I didn't fill the prescription right away, but finally did begin using it and had some improvement for about two years, and then began having problems--one eye always red and both eyes stinging and so forth. Now I have moved back to the states, and I went to a doctor here in Chicago about six months ago. She gave me an antibiotic for the red eye and said she saw no evidence of dry eyes and to continue to use the Restasis, but eventually (after one evening of a really severe reaction to it) I finally said--it's the restasis! And I quit using it.

Now I'm using drops of all kinds! The oscilating thing came back once, but the drops apparently are controlling it, and meanwhile I don't have a diagnosis, I may not even have dry eyes at all, it might be something else altogether, and I'm a little afraid to just pick a doctor out of the phone book, since the one I did pick didn't see any evidence of any problem that could be causing my eye inflammation, although she perscribed an anti-biotic. (She didn't suggest a follow-up either, which made me inclined not to go back. And she's one of the areas biggest laser practicioners, which makes me a little uncomfortable--although don't they all push it now?)

By the way, I quit using the anti-biotic after a week or so. There was no improvement, and it was vaseline based and I could not get the darn stuff off my face in the morning without just about scrubbing away the thin skin around my eyes and the vaseline made my vision blurry all day. And it just didn't act like an infection. I'd had it for months, and one day it would be quite red, and another day hardly at all, and that didn't seem like the way infections act.

Since my discomfort is slightly less than the crucifixion some of you guys are facing, I feel less urgent that the exclamation point in the title might suggest. I really feel for you!

I ordered the goggles to wear at night and Duelle, and am waiting for them to be delivered, but I would like to have a diagnosis so that I can get help from this forum more intelligently, where the advice is tied to having one or the other of things that have strange abbreviations. So if anyone could recommend a doctor, I would so much appreciate it.
    Last edited by Jan Baker; 21-Oct-2009, 07:19.

Oh I see there's a thread on this already!

I see the thread! I'd already bookmarked Dr. Mack, and will call and make the appointment today. But if anyone wishes to comment on anything else in my post, please do. I was thinking about the oscillating scotoma--I hadn't seen it mentioned as a symptom of dry eye in other posts. When I told my own doctor, I mean my general doctor, about it, she listened to my head with her listening thing-y! (You can tell I know a lot about medicine....)

Comment

Working...
    X