Hi, my RCE started about 9 yrs ago.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, my RCE started about 9 yrs ago.

Hi all, I only found this site yesterday and cannot believe the similarities to my symptoms. I sure wish I could have found you about 5 yrs ago when my RCE was at its worst and I couldn't find any info about my problem, until a good eye doctor told me what the condition was called.
    I can certainly empathize with you all as far as the excruciating pain thats caused by an erosion when waking up.
    I don't have a clue what started my erosions but it was a gradual increase in occurances in one eye and then started also in the other. I dealt with the pain until it got too much and too often and eventually broke down and visited my local eye doctor (which was when I found out what was actually wrong).
    Fortunately I now believe from some research that I happened to luck into one of the best cornea surgeons in the U.S.A who immediately booked me in for PTK surgery. From reading here though I think I had several treatments in one go.
    I had them scraped, then the PTK laser, and also the needle all around the eye. Oh, and BTW I had both eyes done at the same time! The surgery probably took about 10-15 mins each eye, which was pretty much pain free..........the recovery was a different story because I had both done together. With the pain killers I think I slept for 2 days after. The headaches and vision with the contact bandages were the main problem but I think it would have been easier to do one eye at a time.
    I never had a dry eye problem until after the surgery for erosions. I've only had one bad erosion and a few minor episodes since the surgery, but I believe these are due to the dry eye that I now have. My only problem now is releasing my eye lid from my eye ball in the morning which seems to come and go and not all the time. I don't use any drops during the day because I don't suffer the dry eyes like some people here during the day.....it's just when I sleep at night (or should I say wake in the morning).
    This is where you guys come in, as I ordered some Dwelle from you yesterday and hopefully stop the glued eyeball thing!
    At the beginning I used Muro 128 drops and ointment which seemed to help the healing of the erosions. For those interested there is a generic version of Muro 128 ointment that is only about $5 per 3.5g tube and I think it's made by Akorn (Sodium Chloride Opthalmic Ointment USP, 5%). I think I purchased it from a Winn-Dixie pharmacy.

For those with RCE I would highly recommend the surgery I had because I believe it has cured my RCE problem. I just need to sort out the morning dry eyes now.
    I hope my story helps others to get through because reading your stories helped me realize I wasn't unique with the problems I had and also now have.

P.S. If I'm allowed to mention my surgeon, it was Dr Peter Zloty in Dothan Alabama.

Hi, Shaun.

I'm glad that you found this site. And, I'm glad to know that you are doing better!

Thanks for the information about the surgery; it's good to hear of a positive outcome. Did you say that you had it five years ago?

You may want to add some information about Dr Peter Zloty in our "Plug a Doc" thread with a label that lets folks know that he is helpful to people suffering from RCE's. Thanks for the information!

--Liz

Comment

Shaun,

What exactly do you mean when you mentioned a scraping? It is something that I have not run across before on this site but I had someone not on this site mention it was a procedure that had done for them some 30 years ago. Can you please provide some detail so I might mention this as a possibililty to my doctor.

Thanks,
      MylittleM

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
      Hi all, I only found this site yesterday and cannot believe the similarities to my symptoms. I sure wish I could have found you about 5 yrs ago when my RCE was at its worst and I couldn't find any info about my problem, until a good eye doctor told me what the condition was called.
      I can certainly empathize with you all as far as the excruciating pain thats caused by an erosion when waking up.
      I don't have a clue what started my erosions but it was a gradual increase in occurances in one eye and then started also in the other. I dealt with the pain until it got too much and too often and eventually broke down and visited my local eye doctor (which was when I found out what was actually wrong).
      Fortunately I now believe from some research that I happened to luck into one of the best cornea surgeons in the U.S.A who immediately booked me in for PTK surgery. From reading here though I think I had several treatments in one go.
      I had them scraped, then the PTK laser, and also the needle all around the eye. Oh, and BTW I had both eyes done at the same time! The surgery probably took about 10-15 mins each eye, which was pretty much pain free..........the recovery was a different story because I had both done together. With the pain killers I think I slept for 2 days after. The headaches and vision with the contact bandages were the main problem but I think it would have been easier to do one eye at a time.
      I never had a dry eye problem until after the surgery for erosions. I've only had one bad erosion and a few minor episodes since the surgery, but I believe these are due to the dry eye that I now have. My only problem now is releasing my eye lid from my eye ball in the morning which seems to come and go and not all the time. I don't use any drops during the day because I don't suffer the dry eyes like some people here during the day.....it's just when I sleep at night (or should I say wake in the morning).
      This is where you guys come in, as I ordered some Dwelle from you yesterday and hopefully stop the glued eyeball thing!
      At the beginning I used Muro 128 drops and ointment which seemed to help the healing of the erosions. For those interested there is a generic version of Muro 128 ointment that is only about $5 per 3.5g tube and I think it's made by Akorn (Sodium Chloride Opthalmic Ointment USP, 5%). I think I purchased it from a Winn-Dixie pharmacy.

For those with RCE I would highly recommend the surgery I had because I believe it has cured my RCE problem. I just need to sort out the morning dry eyes now.
      I hope my story helps others to get through because reading your stories helped me realize I wasn't unique with the problems I had and also now have.

P.S. If I'm allowed to mention my surgeon, it was Dr Peter Zloty in Dothan Alabama.

Comment

@ Liz; I can't remember the exact dates but it was 4 to 5 yrs ago.

@ mylittlem; When I say scraping, the first thing he did after the numbing drops was to use some sort of spatula instrument and "scrape" off the surface, I presume anything that was loose due to the cells not adhering to the surface. I think that that was my main problem, so all the procedures were to resurface the eye so the cells had something to hold on to. This is what the doc told me anyway. It definitely worked for me, but has caused some dry eye now.

Comment

The corneal scraping is called debridement.
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
          X