dry eye and chalazions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dry eye and chalazions

Does anyone know if dry eyes and chalazions are associated? These both came on me about the same time.

littlemermaid (child with dry eye) has occasional chalazions (yellow pus filled swellings inside lid) = blocked meibomian glands, resulting in no oily layer in tear film = dry eye with corneal keratopathy. Chalazions easily relieved using hot compress, small amount of finger pressure on external skin. Gunk spreads about on cornea when chalazion bursts but disperses. If external skin swelling is sore you need doctor for antibiotic. If even worse, I understand ophth. does small incision to relieve blockage. See MGD threads for more info.
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

yes, as littlemermaid's Mum says, they are blocked meibomian glands.

I got one soon after being told I have MGD - and had that one removed by an opth. surgeon. It healed quite well, but did traumatise the eye for a while.

Next time I got one, I was already seeing the optometrist who now regularly expresses my MGs, and with warm compresses and his work we got rid of it that way. A much better option.

If it's not too bad, try persevering with the compresses and pressing around it yourself.

If the gunk comes out, you can always rinse out your eye with sterile saline solution in pres. free single use vials - you can buy these from the chemist, but I actually get them from my GP on prescription.

Comment

Working...
      X