dry eyes and contact lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dry eyes and contact lenses

i have been diagnosed with dry eye problem early last month. sicne then i have been using lubricating drops every 2 hrs. i feel its getting better but the improvement is slow.previously i was wearing contact for about 10 yrs. i dont have any other diseases and am not not any other medications. i want to know if these symptoms are temporary... Will my dry eye recover gradually?
    i am working as a software engineer and this is making my work difficult

my symptoms include burninf, heaviness on the eye lids and sometimes really bad head ache

can someone pls help?

That's how my symptoms started too. I was never able to wear contacts again. (I haven't worn them for almost 7 years now and had previously worn them for 23 years.) Some people's eyes do recover, but unfortunately not many from what I've read. The contacts can harm the surface of your eyes over time. I know I was never told only to wear them for "up to" 8 hours a day and take several days off of wear per week. When I was first diagnosed with dry eyes I was told I "should have been doing" that all along. That was news to me... Keep up with th drops and hopefully time will help heal them.

Comment

Me neither, sorry to say. I can only wear them soft lenses occassional nights out with tons of drops because the next day it's rebound effect, pain, pain, pain....
      just keep swimming...

Comment

Hi Preetha, I'm a software developer as well and spend many hours a day in front of the computer. Dry eye symptoms are exacerbated when you are front of a computer because you blink less when staring at the screen. For me, I simply can no longer wear contact lenses when working on the computer because the discomfort is almost immediate. But, by giving my eyes a break from contacts (using glasses instead) when working it does give me the freedom to wear my lenses fairly comfortably for longer periods on the weekends and other social occasions. You may want to try doing the same.

Also, did you talk to your doctor about trying a different brand of contact lens? I see that you are in India so I don't know if any of these would be available to you over there but some lenses that are better for dry eye sufferers are Proclear, Acuvue Oasys, AirOptix, and Biofinity. I personally got improved comfort for longer periods with a Proclear compatible lens so I can tell you that switching to another lens material can make a difference.

Comment

I'm 1.5 post eye infection and I can't wear my contacts. Even today when I went to put in a lens, it felt like shoving a pebble into my eye. I dont understand how I can go years and years of being used to something being in your eye. I got used to poking my eyes, it was white and never dry. Now, I have to make sure the brand new lens is 100% clean of anything before I put it in. The smallest spec of dust itches. I put them in, then they itch, 2 hours they are dry. Take them out, put on goggles(glasses).
          Complete B.S considering I used to sleep with my contacts in some nights.

Comment

Working...
          X