Dry eyes from Steven Johnson Syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry eyes from Steven Johnson Syndrome

Thought I'd introduce myself - I've been reading the forums for a bit and found it really helpful so far. I came down with Steven Johnson Syndrome this past May and since then been battling dry eyes. I use PF drops hourly, gel a few times a day, and thansk to the forums bought some tranquileyes that I've been using at night. I was seeing an eye doctor almost weekly but my husband was laid off a few months ago so with out insurance I haven't been able to, so I'm just trying to be extra careful and keep my eyes as wet as possible. We've also relocated from wet humidy Seattle to dry cold eastern WA which has taken a toll on my eyes and skin. I'm fairly photophobic but since my skin can't handle the sun ether I'm getting used to being indoors during the day (or at least remaining covered)

I do wear prescription glasses, and am currently looking into 7eyes. I don't think they'll fit me though since I'm a very petite woman and am currently looking into my options. right now I'd just be happy to have reactive glasses that turn dark when exposed to light (not just UVs as bright lights in general hurt)

Anyways, just wanted to say helloo and how greatful I am that these forums are about!

- CC

Hi CC and welcome! You're facing a lot of hurdles but it sounds like you've got a great attitude and that's so much of the battle!

Regarding sunglasses: What's your prescription? (Key limiting factor.)

If you have a local dealer you can probably try on a lot of 7Eye and Wiley-X. Couple of notes/suggestions: 7Eye's new foam is not very dry eye friendly (but you'll see at the dealership whether it's going to be suitable) and most of their small frames have been discontinued, but possibly the Churada would would. If not, Wiley-X may be the best option. Their smallest frame is AirRage, however, they have just come out with two new frames and I'm hoping to get samples shortly. One of them is called Curve and is described as being for "youth, women and narrow faces".

Some cheap fitovers would probably be quite helpful in the meantime though.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

thanks for the suggestions Rebecca. I'm -3.5 in one eye, -2 in the the other. I called around to the shops listed on the 7eye website but none of them seems to carry the glasses anymore. I'm in a fairly rural area now, but found a shop about 1 hour away that carries them. I also found an eyeglass shop in town who's owner works really closely with making sure the customer gets what they need/want so I was going to give him a call this week and see if he has any suggestions. I'm really petite (4'9" on a good day ) so finding glasses that fit my face isn't anything new to me.

Comment

Hi Doppel-
        I have Panoptx in prescription and I love mine. You should be able to get the wraparound with your smallish RX. Not in all frames, of course, but many will fit a smaller RX. You' also have to start with a small frame. To go to a local Harley Davidson (or other store) and try these on is an excellent idea.

You might also check into children's frames, but I'm guessing you know this already. Before I had Lasik, I always had a hard time getting a small enough frame to fit me well and hold thick lenses. It finally dawned on me to go to the kid's department. I was surprised the sales staff never suggestee it. I hope you can get your glasses/goggles made up. It can make a big difference. Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
        X