Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hello ... I am happy to have found a support group who knows all about the discomfort and pain of dry eyes !
    I had never even heard of dry eye syndrome until about 6 months ago ... I was experiencing severe sharp pains in the far corners of my eyes which scared the bajeezus out of me. The eye doctor quickly diagnosed dry eye and handed me a sample of restasis with a prescription for it as well. I tried the drops that night and was so distraught over the intense burning (but had heard that was a side effect so was prepared) I could only handle a week of the burning and ended up going back to the doctor to get other options... he was all set to drop some plugs into my ducts and without him explaining too much about the procedure I decided to pass and went home to research more on it. I read both good and bad results from the plugs and came to the conclusion that maybe that sort of thing is not for me.
    My eyes only got worse as the days went by with feelings of broken glass floating around, intense pains in the lacrimal glands, feelings of cotton stuck to my eyeballs and so on ....I decided to give the restasis yet another try. I've been on it now for 12 weeks and each dose still burns like mad but I do see a slight improvement, although it's certainly not where I want to be (I have heard restasis can take up to 6 months). This whole experience has been so upsetting, I've lost weight, can't sleep and am becomming increasingly depressed which is scaring me because it's just not who I am. My coworkers have asked me if I've been sick and I find it hard to explain to people who know nothing about this which I'm finding most do not ... I am seriously considering the plugs but have to admit I am very squeamish at the thought (and I am not normally a wimp) Am hoping someone out there can share at least one or two positive experiences with closing up the ducts .. may just give me the courage I need : )
    pain stinks !!!

I think if you can find someone with experience to insert the plugs, it will likely be ok. I've had both temps and permanent ones put in, and it ended up being no worse than a tooth cleaning at the dentist! ... which is pretty easy, right?

Prior to getting plugs put in, I was really apprehensive about it... but I was lucky to have a good experience each time...

(well... not "good" like eating-a-hot-fudge-sundae-with-whipping-cream-and-banana-slices-good... but as good as getting plugs can be anyhow...)

Comment

I've had numerous plugs inserted and can't remember any problems. If anything, maybe I felt a small "pinch" one time. Good luck. Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
      X