Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings, 3 years of dry eye and counting....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings, 3 years of dry eye and counting....

Hi all,

I found this site after a Google search about halfway through last year, so glad I did as I was beginning to think I was the only person on the planet with this eye thing going on.

So i'm 33, a bloke, and living in the UK.

My dry eye troubles started back in early 2006 (although I didn't know it was dry eye until the end of 07), and have got progressively worse since. From May last year I had more or less permanent stinging and burning eyes that lasted for the remainder of the year. Proper fun year that was!
    I have MGD blepharitis and therefore evaporative dry eye, tried a few different eye drops, most of which have been useless, although the latest one i've been prescribed does seem to help a bit. I was also given some gel to try which seemed to make things 10x worse, guaranteed agony when I woke in the morning

As well as the DE, I also have ocular hypertension (borderline glaucoma) so I'm also taking drops for this. Most of these drops have dry, sore eyes listed in their side effects, so probably not helping my dry eyes either!

3 years in and i'm feeling a bit weary from it all, ppl without properly dry eyes just can't understand how painful, worrying and exhausting something that sounds so trivial can be. Nobody understands what it's like.
    That said I was lucky enough to briefly work with a guy who'd had bad dry eye due to a botched LASIK OP, he new EXACTLY what it was like, but he's the only one so far.

So, at the moment using drops, hot compresses, humidifiers etc, i'm managing to keep the 2009 levels of pain at bay, just. Still struggle at work due to the forced heating, flouro lighting, computers and low humidity - all eye killers - so i'm always going home at the end of the day with these burning eyes.

Guess we'll just have to keep plodding along.........
    Apologies if i've been rambling on........
    Cheers,
    HM

Hi HM

So sorry to hear about your problems - yep, you have certainly come to the right place where people understand! I know EXACTLY what you mean about something causing so much pain having such a trivial name. Dry eye, eh, just splash some water on lol.

Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Happymeal View Post
      Hi all,

As well as the DE, I also have ocular hypertension (borderline glaucoma) so I'm also taking drops for this. Most of these drops have dry, sore eyes listed in their side effects, so probably not helping my dry eyes either!

3 years in and i'm feeling a bit weary from it all, ppl without properly dry eyes just can't understand how painful, worrying and exhausting something that sounds so trivial can be. Nobody understands what it's like.
      That said I was lucky enough to briefly work with a guy who'd had bad dry eye due to a botched LASIK OP, he new EXACTLY what it was like, but he's the only one so far.

So, at the moment using drops, hot compresses, humidifiers etc, i'm managing to keep the 2009 levels of pain at bay, just. Still struggle at work due to the forced heating, flouro lighting, computers and low humidity - all eye killers - so i'm always going home at the end of the day with these burning eyes.

Guess we'll just have to keep plodding along.........
      Apologies if i've been rambling on........
      Cheers,
      HM
      You're certainly not on your own.

At times, I assume that everyone comes home from work exhausted by their burning eyes. I'm so impressed when people tell me what they do outside work hours - until I realise that it's me who is out of step.

Workplace environments can be a killer; thankfully I have my own office and control the radiator temperature. The poor students can be blue with the cold and I wonder if perhaps I should provide them with a blanket.

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks!

Yer I do have some limited control over my work environment, but not alot. Seems to be the dry air that does most of the damage for me, usually in the 20 - 40% RH range at work, usually its game over for my eyes after around midday. My eyes tend to improve no end over the course of a weekend though, might be due to the RH at home being significantly higher, usually 50 - 60%, but then again who doesn't feel better at the weekend!

HM

Comment

Hi Happymeal

Just to say you are deffo not alone - my symptoms are similar to yours and I am also based in the UK.

It is hard to explain to non sufferers just how 'invasive' dry eye is on your whole life - someone with creative writing skills should try to bring this to life for us to use

Cheers

Ellis
          The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

Comment

Originally posted by EllMitcho View Post
            Hi Happymeal

Just to say you are deffo not alone - my symptoms are similar to yours and I am also based in the UK.

It is hard to explain to non sufferers just how 'invasive' dry eye is on your whole life - someone with creative writing skills should try to bring this to life for us to use

Cheers

Ellis
            It wouldn't be a work of fiction though would it?

Comment

Originally posted by irish eyes View Post
              True - DES is bad enough without making stuff up as well I suppose !
              The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

Comment

As the saying goes - You couldn't make it up!

Comment

Originally posted by irish eyes View Post
                  My DE was a work of fiction, according to my boss anyway.....yeah thanks for that!. Funny though how an opthalmoly looked at my eyes and saw bleph and MGD.

Comment

Originally posted by Happymeal View Post
                    My DE was a work of fiction, according to my boss anyway.....yeah thanks for that!. Funny though how an opthalmoly looked at my eyes and saw bleph and MGD.
                    Sorry guys, almost started off a rant then. I'm not all that bitter TBH, just that one irked me a wee bit at the time!

Comment

Working...
                    X