Intro and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intro and questions

Hi, Im new here and would like to take a moment to introduce myself and ask a question or two. I recently had a parotid tumor removed which left me with an eye that doesn’t close. I also had a weight placed in the eye to help with the closing. My doctors assure me the palsy is only temporary, 18 months to 3 years but till the nerves heal I need to cover the eye for sleeping. Ive tried Vaseline with saran wrap, Vaseline with saran wrap and tape, taping the eye closed, a sleep mask, an eye patch over the Vaseline with saran wrap, a patch used for lazy eye, nothing seems to stay on well over night or allows the eye to dry out overnight. Ive read a lot on this forum about the Tranquileyes and the Onyx Goggles and Im wondering if there are any products out there for just 1 eye coverage.
    I will also be wearing glasses during the day, for driving. With summer coming, windows down, any suggestions as to what to do to prevent the eye from drying out and wearing my prescription sunglasses?
    Also, my eye doctor told me to use the night time refresh brand eye drops during the day and during the night as my eye dries out so quickly. Any suggestions on a thicker or longer lasting eye lubricant?
    This forum has a wealth of information, thank you all for some great reading material and suggestions and for all your help.

Hi there MM-
    You certainly have had quite a hard time. I'm sorry, but hope things heal up nicely for you. It sounds like you have a really sharp doctor too, who is covering al the bases.

There is something that is quite thick, but not greasy and it is GenTeal Gel. It's available at most drug stores. You might have to look a bit. I was in the drug store the other night looking for a dry eye product and I'm always surprised at how many different brands, etc. Way too many. The GenTeal Gel may come in two kinds. I'm thinking one for medium/dry and another for dryness that isn't too bad. Many of us use GenTeal Gel. I think it's a matter of trying them to see what you like. They are expensive, so you'll no doubt use what you try first.

I'm thinking that Tranquileyes are the best and I've not used the other night goggle, Onyx. I think the TE would do the job. Also you might consider buying an "eye patch" at the drug store. I see them occasionally and actually have one in my dry eye arsenal. It's just a cheapy cardboard covered with cloth with an elastic band to hold around your head.

I think for something you'll have to use for some time is the TE goggles! If you'll be wearing glasses every day, you might try to find something like someone would wear for safety glasses. They make side shields that you can remove. Good luck and more people should come along and help you more. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Maskedmarvel View Post
      Ive read a lot on this forum about the Tranquileyes and the Onyx Goggles and Im wondering if there are any products out there for just 1 eye coverage.
      There's a product called PressPatch (not in the shop, yet anyway) - if it's not something you've tried, google it. A friend of mine uses that and I thought it was pretty good quality though I think she's had some issues with the replacement pads. That's the best one-eyed thing I've happened across. There is a one-eyed Tranquileyes called the Stye Care Kit (in the dry eye shop) but it is not intended for sleeping... some people use it that way but it's got a pretty flimsy strap since it's not meant for overnight use. Most people with a one-eyed need get the most suitable two-eyed gadget for them and either live with it as is or modify it, for example some people leave the foam out of one side of Tranquileyes. Personally I've been finding Onyix growing on me lately. But this stuff is really really individual - both as regards what gives best protection and what's tolerable and what stays on. A lot of it is down to how you sleep and how much you move around.

I will also be wearing glasses during the day, for driving. With summer coming, windows down, any suggestions as to what to do to prevent the eye from drying out and wearing my prescription sunglasses?
      Lucy's idea of the shields sounds great - might give you better side vision than the other options like motorcycle goggles. If you ever need to replace your prescription sunglasses you might look at 7Eye or Wiley-X. You can always take out the eyecup if/when you don't need it.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

This is a good time to mention something that might give other folks ideas. I just bought two new pairs of glasses. I have progressive bifocals so they are very expensive. The regular glasses are the popular rectangular style.

I also got prescription sunglasses with progressive bifocals. I found a frames that fit very closely to my face. Actually, both frames are from the children's section. I have Panoptx goggles already, and they are great. I now have regular looking sunglasses that fit nicely and there just isn't room for much wind to come in.

I'd urge others to go in and try on frames in a regular optical shop. I won't say how much I paid because my insurance paid for some and there was a 2 for one sale (yeh) etc. I've tried on other frames that have a nice wrap-like feature that would fit RX lens. Again, I think others should look and see what's out there. Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I’ll go on a hunt for the GenTeal Gel, I am currently using the refresh PM, my cornea doctor told me to put it in hourly or as needed in between. Im putting the thick drops in about every 40 minutes, add wind and well, the refresh pm isn’t cutting it. My eye is drying out way too fast. My eye doesn’t close and the weight is for night time closing ‘help’. They even sewed together the corner of the eyelid to help with the closing. Im going through eye drops by the gallons.
          I am using an eye patch for night driving. Without it, the halos are insane. The lights just blur and I can’t see a thing. If its raining and at night, we’ll lets say I shouldn’t be on the road. Not safe at all.
          Rebecca, the TE or Onyix, what is the fit for these? with the eye weight , eyelid is a bit swollen after 7 weeks in, and the tenderness from the surgery, plus the forever deformity of my cheek area, do these fit in the eye deeply or do they rest on the cheek and eyebrow?
          Sorry for so many questions but this has changed my life suddenly and well, Im not adjusting well. I hate change. I need to find something , anything that will work and its not from lack of trying it on my own, so now Im asking for ‘professional’ help, yes, all of you, those that have been there and done that. Thank you again, all of you.

Comment

Working...
          X