New (but not so new)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (but not so new)

Hi everyone – I’ve been reading threads and posts for quite some time now and have finally joined! I already recognize a number of members. I receive the bulletin too. I found the Dry Eye Zone probably about 5 years ago searching for information on dry eyes. In the forum I’ve found a great deal of information which I would then research and take to my dr. if I thought it applied.

I really can’t remember the date/year when I was first told I had dry eyes – I only remember that after repeated visits to my dr. and complaints about how my eyes felt, he said something like, “Well J, you have dry eyes!” That was news to me, wish he would have told me sooner and given me some direction! Offered no solution, no advice, nothing. I didn’t realize then what a big deal it was, I didn’t even run out to buy eye drops to help.

Well, after a few more appointments and more complaining, he was totally frustrated with me and referred me to his colleague, who has been working with me now for a number of years and who also told me I have blepharitis and recommended lid hygiene (baby shampoo, etc.). We’ve done the blood serum eye drops (which I learned about here), seemed to help at first but now I no longer use them (eyes seemed grittier after awhile); punctal plugs which kept falling out to the point that he no longer would put them in so I asked him about cautery (which I learned about here) and which I finally had done (not pleasant but it has helped somewhat); also learned about blepharospasms here and botox for that (first set of injections worked great; second set not so much – eye irritation is too great). So it was back to the dr. – we’re now on an all-out war against the inflammation – tried doxycycline before, we may try it again.

Have been on Restasis for about 3 years but he took me off 2 weeks ago – he wanted absolutely no preservatives in my eyes at all. I don’t think I ever got any relief from it anyway. I’ve tried just about every eye drop I’ve read about but now am using Soothe, Systane Ultra, Refresh Plus and Refresh Celluvisc (sometimes – I don’t like the thickness, my eyes seem to shed the thicker drops like grains of sand). My favorite has been TeraTears and I may go back to them, but in the vials this time. I guess “preservative-free in the eye” isn’t really preservative free. Am also taking eye vitamins (expensive!!) and I’m not really sure they help. Also on fish oil and flaxseed oil.

Did I miss anything?? Oh, yeah, tried acupuncture (which again I think I found some information here about that – not sure it helped but may consider it again). Am now trying the Azatite drops after a week of TobraDex (to get the inflammation under control (I can only hope), but am having a problem with some eye pain and redness in left eye - will call the dr. tomorrow. I also have the Panoptyx goggles (again, learned about them here).

Read a post a few years ago from a woman in Ohio – sounded like I could have written it myself – right down to loving to play tennis!! Which I absolutely refuse to give up, although it is challenging sometimes to play ‘cause it’s just too hard to keep my eyes open!

jpete

Hi JPete,

I'm new too, but like you, I too had been following the board for a time before I joined (I'm sure a lot of people do that). I completely empathize with you with respect to the cost of it all; taking care of dry eyes is not only an uncomfortable nuissance, but it is also EXPENSIVE! Sounds like you have tried a lot but fortunately not exhausted your options. You could try DHEA drops or doxy drops (which you have to get custom-compounded from somewhere like Leiters (http://www.leiterrx.com/pharmacy/Price.pdf). I have not yet tried them but supposedly they have really helped some (and of course not at all others). They are expensive but if they work it's worth it. If you are in the Boston area you can possibly obtain Kineret drops from Dr. Reza Dana (he's the only one who can prescribe them because he was in charge of the clinical trials). Contact Whitney Howe to discuss if interested (http://www.masseyeandear.org/researc...ls/meibomitis/). If part of your problem is MGD, you can also try IPL. Dr Toyos, the inventor of the procedure, is currently training doctors around the country so the procedure should be more readily available soon. Finally, have you been tested for allergies like dust, mold, and pollen? If part of your problem is that you are allergic drops like Pataday and Patanol should help. Do you know if you are oil deficient, aqueous deficient, or both? That will affect treatment as well. You could also look into Lacriserts for lubrication (it's a little pellet that you put in your eye that is supposed to essentially replace the need for eye drops). Lacriserts won't do anything to help with inflammation or to remedy the underlying problem however; they are just a symptomatic treatment. Best of luck! I am looking into experimenting with all of these treatments also.

P.S. I am a tennis player as well
    Last edited by DryEyeSurvivor26; 14-Mar-2010, 12:47.

Comment

DryEyeSurvivor 26 - thanks for your quick reply. I'll certainly check out the DHEA drops or doxy drops which you referenced. If you try them let us know how they worked for you. Not in the Boston area but may follow-up on the Kineret drops nevertheless. MGD is part of the problem and I've read here about IPL but haven't approached my dr. yet about that. Before my dr. would do the cautery he had me tested for allergies - he didn't think I had any, but the first dr. said I did and I did try Patanol which seemed to help, but only for a short time - I think because I was just putting something wet in my eyes! Not allergic to anything! Not sure if I'm oil deficient or aqueous deficient - I think both, but I'll ask for sure. Read a little about the Lacriserts, which may be another treatment to try at some point. Good luck to you as well - and keep it in the court!

jpete

Comment

No problem. I will definitely post when I am able to get my hands on these drops. I will be out of the country until June and unfortunately I don't think it is realistic to get the drops shipped internationally, so I probably will not be able to try until I am back in the US, but I definitely intend to do so then. Here is a link to some people's experiences with the DHEA drops:

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=998.

JPiven and Star report having substantial improvement with this drop.

Kineret is discussed here:

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...hlight=kineret

Eli reported having only moderate improvement with the drop, but Dr. Dana was supposedly very enthusiastic about its success in the trials he was overseeing.

I am going to ask my opthamologist about both when I see him in a week. He works at Mass Eye & Ear and I think he may have been involved in the Kineret trials.
        Last edited by DryEyeSurvivor26; 14-Mar-2010, 14:14.

Comment

Oh, everyone, this thread is a nightmare to read. Large paragraphs with no breaks.

Copying the complete post for whom you are replying and putting it in your post is not necessary and makes for messy, hard to read threads. You can take a sentence or two if you really want to make a connection.

Keep in mind that most everyone on here has a problem with teir eyes and many have problems reading this, including me. This is one thread I have to skip. Sorry, but i would like to read it but can't.

Lucy
          Last edited by Lucy; 14-Mar-2010, 21:04. Reason: typo
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Sorry everyone. Won't happen again.

Comment

Not to worry, I split it up a bit. Welcome jpete!
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Sorry, Lucy. I'll work on this as well.

Comment

Thanks, much better and now I can read it.
                  Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                  X