confused and searching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused and searching

At this point I have been fluctuating in my ability to control my dry eye. It could be Sjogrens, immune deficiency, age related. Tear ducts have been cauterized, all four. That helped for awhile. Allergic to most eye drops other than:
    AZASITE, restasis, Genteal Gel in tube, Genteal gel liquid eye drops,
    and combo at night with silicone eye goggles wrapped with a sliver of sarantype wrap so the following won't get on the lenses of the goggles and force me to have to wash the goggles constantly - use a dot of Genteal Gel mixed with a dab of PM Ointments from CLEAR EYES, because that product doesn't have the bite/sting of mineral oil/petroleum oil than many other night ointments.
    Success at night.
    But daytime is a b....
    Doctor has said that I might want to try PURE COLD PRESSED CASTOR OIL, and when I checked on a medical site, the idea seemed terrific. I know that the best to use is VIRGIN CASTOR OIL, but too expensive to order from CARE Virgin Castor Oil on AMazon UK.
    NOW VITAMINS have cold pressed castor oil in gel caps, and that would be great to use when I am out side the house and cannot get to the bottle of cold pressed castor oil, paraben free, I got at Vitamin Shoppe. I just take a clean q tip, dunk one end in the bottle (so as not to contaminate oil) and press on to eyelids, and then near tear duct area so a bit gets on eye balls.

here's what I got from the blepharitis site. (I also have statements from other online sites about the castor oil. the site is dated 2006, but other sites are newer.

Thornton & Ross's (T&R) Castor oil BP is more sticky and messy than some Indian products. I use castor oil during the hay fever season as a barrier against pollen and to sooth inflamed skin. I find that T&R castor oil BP can sting while the Indian and Malaysian cold pressed thinner oils I have used were more comfortable but the problem of adulteration is of concern. Perhaps there should be more research into methods of extraction of the oil.

People with severe visual impairment can easily apply the oil themselves with a clean finger. It is best to decant a little oil into a clean eggcup and use the oil from this for a day or two. The remaining oil in the egg cup should be discarded, and the container should be washed before re-use. Virgin castor oil is very cheap. In comparison to the short shelf life of homogenised castor oil, raw castor oil seems to have a long shelf life. The researchers felt that low concentration castor oil was preferred because it did not cause blurring of vision caused by the neat oil. By applying it to the outside of the eye and allowing the oil to seep into the eye, we have not noticed any blurring of the vision. But as noted above, T&R's castor oil BP is thick and sticky and it is possible to get the glasses smeared if the eyes are rubbed while wearing glasses.

The medical profession is unwilling to recommend neat castor oil but will use proprietary hydrolysed castor oil drops once it has passed clinical trials. Visually impaired people find it very difficult to self administer eye drops. For example, my husband being blind in his right eye, cannot judge where the nozzle is relative to the eye and finds it difficult to administer drops. He was recently prescribed a lubricant which was rather viscous. It had to be squeezed from a tube onto the edge of the eye lid (where kohl was traditionally applied). I found it difficult to do this for him and I cannot imagine him doing this himself. So, until we have preparations that are fit for the visually impaired, we will stick with neat castor oil in our home, especially since it has other uses as well.

SUMMARY of our observations to date of treatments which have and have not worked.
    Positive outcome (used together) Zero or negative outcome for us
    Camomile - for washing during infection
    Castor oil - for long-lasting cure to-date
    Lukewarm water - for washing eye prior to application of prescribed drops
    Yoghurt - I did not tumble to this until I saw a post by Tomreiki. Friendly bacteria in biolive natural yoghurt will reduce yeast and other fungal blooms in the gut and elsewhere in the body. We often have natural biolive yoghurt with prunes and fruit - so this might have been another beneficial factor.
    Johnson's Baby Shampoo/ Bicarbonate of Soda/salt - too harsh when lids were infected
    Prescribed antibiotics - transient cure
    Support Group(s)
    http://blepharitisforum.com/forum/index.php?board=2.0 Reports on the experience of others and provides feedback from people who have tried castor oil. See update 9th Sep 09.

Blepharitis and Meibomian Gland Dysfunction are quite common, so castor oil may not be universally effective. I would appreciate comments which indicate a) the use of castor oil for Blepharitis by people who cannot afford proprietary medicines, and b) its effectiveness. Furthermore, many treatments cease to be effective after some time. If you have found some other treatment which has worked for you, please let us know through my web log on Castor Oil cure for Blepharitis? Please click here for relevant information on Community Server used to power the web log. Your comments will be summarised in this website for easy access by researchers and others.

I WOULD APPRECIATE ANYBODY'S FEEDBACK ON THIS.

I used that site for quite some time and I recognise the forum member - we used to communicate. Her husband's case responded well to castor oil treatment.

(Are you asking if any of us use castor oil? )

If so - yes I use it but it isn't anything to do with affordability. I use it around my lashes and lid margins simply because they are so inflamed and sore. It also just happens to be cheap.

The difficult thing was trying to get hold of the stuff because many of the larger pharmacies no longer kept it in stock.

It seems that castor oil can be used to induce early labour - so it could threaten the newborns. It was difficult trying to convince people over the phone that this would be highly unlikely in my case. The MD at Thornton & Ross sounded apoplectic when I asked him where I might obtain it.

I managed to get it anyway and it's certainly worth a try. It doesn't cure of course but it might calm down the inflammation and it will certainly moisturise.

Comment

Working...
    X