New to Dry Eye Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Dry Eye Talk

My name is Eric Kahle. I am a Board Certified Ophthalmologist practicing in Sebastopol, California. My website is www.eye-associates.com. I have a large practice with many dry eye patients and I also suffer from dry eye syndrome. I developed an ointment for dry eye called Total Lid Care - TLC because I did not like prescribing antibiotic ointments on a long term basis. I have been very pleased with the results for myself as well as for my patients. I am excited to be part of this fourm and I am happy to answer any questions you might have about blepharitis/meibomitis/dry eye syndrome.

Welcome to the board. I have a question about your TLC ointment. Does it help with redness on the lids or on the eyeball itself? Thanks!

Comment

Great to have you with us ...

Hello Dr.

Can you tell us more about the ointment - is it rx only? Preservatives?

Thx!

Comment

TLC ointment

Originally posted by alisonW View Post
        Welcome to the board. I have a question about your TLC ointment. Does it help with redness on the lids or on the eyeball itself? Thanks!
        Alison:

Yes, TLC ointment along with proper lid care will help with the redness of the lids as well as the conjunctiva. Depending on the severity of your situation it may take up to two weeks of nightly warm compresses and TLC ointment at bedtime to notice a difference. Your eyes will be more comfortable within a few days. You can try the TLC ointment and if not 100% satisfied you can return the unused portion for a full refund. To date, there have been no returns and I get testimonials daily.

Eric Kahle

Comment

Ointment

Originally posted by RDAC View Post
          Hello Dr.

Can you tell us more about the ointment - is it rx only? Preservatives?

Thx!
          Thank you for your interest. Total Lid Care (TLC) ointment is an over the counter product. It does NOT contain any prescription medication or preservatives. It is an all natural product. You can link to the website for more detailed information www.totallidcare.com.

Eric Kahle

Comment

Hello

Do you think your cream would be beneficial for us who have bleph/mgd due to ocular rosacea?
            Thank You

Comment

Ocular Rosacea/MGD/Blepharitis

Originally posted by sandra lee View Post
              Do you think your cream would be beneficial for us who have bleph/mgd due to ocular rosacea?
              Thank You
              Sandra:

I do have patients with blepharitis and MGD from ocular rosacea. They do use TLC and have reported positive results. Of course, they are still doing the rest of their lid hygiene program along with using the TLC.

Eric Kahle

Comment

I was dissapointed to see you dont ship outside the us

Comment

Shipping outside of the US

Send an email with your address and I will have my office manager check on what the shipping costs are. Usually it is not cost effective.

EK

Comment

Hello Dr. Kahle and welcome.

Have any studies been completed on the benefits of your TLC ointment?
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

I am interested in seeing studies as well.

Also, this was on the website: "TLC is made in a sanitary but not sterile environment."

I personally do not feel comfortable with putting anything in my eyes or on my eyelid margines that is not sterile. Many of us have severe dry eyes (not the regular run of the mill dry eye that everyone seems to have) and are on Restasis, so we're very susceptible to infections. How can this possibly be safe?

Comment

You are MOST welcome Dr Kahle to this site

It is especially good for us in GB (and there are a growing number of us )who have such difficulty getting expert advise because of long waiting lists for ophthalmologists and corneal clinics due to an underfunded overburdend National Health system ( i do so hope you learn from our mistakes if you adopt a form of socialized medecine -Thats another subject though)

I have tended to diagnose and treat myself as a result which is not ideal
                        This site is sooo helpful but i know it will be even more helpful with your expert input

Thank you for joining us and I will await reports of you eyelid cream with great interest

Comment

Studies

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                          Hello Dr. Kahle and welcome.

Have any studies been completed on the benefits of your TLC ointment?
                          Rebecca:

I have been researching ingredients and experimenting with different formulations over the past several years. I finally settled on this specific formula about 8 months ago.

There have been no formal studies on TLC other than the studies I conducted at my practice involving staff and patients. We provided two containers to each person in the study, one to be used on the right eye and one to be used on the left eye. No one (not even me) knew which product was being used on which eye. My office manager conducted the study and collected all the information from the patient surveys and from the chart reviews. All patients reported the eye using TLC was more comfortable and examination showed improvement in the lid margins.

To do a formal study would force the cost of this product to skyrocket and that is not my goal. I wanted to develop a product that works and is affordable to the public. If someone tries TLC and is not satisfied, I offer a 100% money back guarantee, I do not know of any other company who does this.

E Kahle

Comment

Would this TLC ointment be of any benefit for a person who is aqueous deficient?

Comment

Originally posted by EricKahleMD View Post
                              There have been no formal studies on TLC other than the studies I conducted at my practice involving staff and patients.
                              Absolutely fine, I didn't expect something destined for a peer-reviewed publication. Studies don't have to be expensive to produce meaningful data. People here (including me) are always interested in data and presumably there are some? For example, what was specific the condition(s) of these patients? anterior bleph? posterior? rosacea? how severe? What sort of survey was used to measure their symptoms, how much improvement was there and for how long? etc.

Thanks again.
                              Rebecca Petris
                              The Dry Eye Foundation
                              dryeyefoundation.org
                              800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                              X