Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here - just want to introduce myself

Hi everyone

I live in Ireland and I've had dry eyes since 2003.

It came on instantaneously while I was under a lot of emotional pressure and working punishing hours on the computer. I had a very bad 18 months at the beginning. I had to stop doing the work that I loved and suffered a deep depression. Very slowly my eyes improved and I was able to start work again, in a different profession that placed fewer demands on my eyes. I then had about four good years where I it was only an inconvenience rather than something that impacted hugely on my quality of life. About 15 months ago it came back with a vengeance and I'm currently struggling in the workplace and to manage the impact of this condition on my life. Being able to research things on this website has been such help (thanks to everyone) as good support is pretty impossible to find in this country. As we all know, it can be terribly isolating and debilitating.

A few medical/technical details. I have acqueous deficient and evaporative dry eye. It took 7 years for me to get diagnosed with Meibomian Gland Dysfunction by ophthalmologists although a great optometrist I've occasionally attended in England suggested I had this in 2003. I've upper and lower punctal plugs in one eye and just a lower one now in the other. Even with the plugs I measure 0 in one eye and 2 in the other in the Schirmer test. I use Theratears eyedrops very frequently most days (I find them fantastic) and Lacrilube eye ointment at night. I know that greasy ointments are far from ideal with MGD but it's so hard to wean myself off them as I get pain during the night if I even try to reduce the amount at the moment. I've ordered Genteal Gel on the internet for nighttime use but haven't dared to try it yet! I use warm packs on my eyes morning and night (which help) and Lid-Care wipes in the morning. I am careful with my diet (find caffeine, alcohol and sugar don't help) and take Theratears Nutrition capsules.

I've been on oral doxycycline for seven months (100mg a day at the beginning, now 50 mg) and when it kicked in (after about 3.5 weeks) I saw a big improvement (probably about 50%). I had to beg doctors to give it to me as they weren't convinced I had MGD. They see no sign of occular rosacea although I have my doubts as they acknowledge I have signs of mild facial rosacea, that have worsened this past year. I'd urge anyone who suspects they have MGD and has a dry eye condition that baffles doctors to give doxy a go. I have to take a break from it in a couple of weeks though and wonder how I'll fare then.

Doctors appear at a loss as to why I have these symptoms. I strongly believe it is a response to stress. As a child I suffered endlessly from blepharitis, something I had put out of my mind until the dry eye began. The flare-up this time coincided with another stressful period in my life. Having had four good years I have the benefit of knowing this can pass (although there are times when it's a struggle to believe this). When it first occurred the doctors told me that was how it was going to be and that I may not be able to work again. At times like that it's hard not to get trapped in the vicious cycle of the condition causing anxiety/depression, which in turn makes the condition worse. I've read with interest the posts on this site on the potential link between anxiety/depression and dry eyes. As others have said, it is so crucial to treat the underlying or accompanying mental health issue. The four good years I had with my eyes I was on a low dosage of an antidepressant (Effexor - generic name Venlafaxine). Having had this experience I am no longer afraid that this antidepressant will exacerbate my dry eye condition. I know that people sometimes avoid taking medication for this reason so I just wanted to put that out there.

I'd better sign off now (enough staring at a computer screen - the sun is shining). I just wanted to introduce myself as I've been lurking in the background for a good while. Reckon it's about time others can learn from my experience (I hope in any case).

I posted a question on the MEGS thread today about how to order them from outside the US. I'd be so glad if anyone can help me with that one.

Bye for now.

H

Hi Harriet,
    It is kind of slow on the board on weekends, especially with spring in the air. I'm glad you posted and hopefully Monday others will stop in to say hello. i think you already have a good handle on your problem. Stress is an often mentioned subject on DET. It's hard to know which comes first sometimes, like the proverbial chicken and egg.

We do collectively know that dry eye does cause us stress. Best to you,
    Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hi Harriet

Thanks for sharing your story - I can relate to a lot of what you say, especially the depression. This board has really helped me, I saw a huge improvement in my coping with the condition when I managed to sleep thru the night.

I am just off for another appointment as I have been on doxy now (50g) for nearly a year with a short break. I feel I should be coming off it but am really scared about what will happen. Also my right eye is always so much worse and just pours water out all the time. On a good day it just seeps!!

Would be interested in who your 'good optometrist' is in UK as I haven't really found anyone who understands my condition, they are just happy to keep on taking my money (sorry to sound cynical)

Take care, liz

Comment

UK optometrist

Thanks to you both for your messages.

Lizibet, the optometrist is Andrew Matheson in Alresford - you can look him up online. He really knows his stuff when it comes to dry eye. As an optometrist, though, he can't prescribe. He's great for helping to experiment with different drops and gels he recommends and for fitting plugs, etc. He also shows you images on a screen of what he can see, which I find really helpful. He'll take time to explain things to you.

How long a break were you told you had to take from doxy? I've been on it for 7 or 8 months and the ophthalmologist says she'll take me off it when I see her in ten days. Just wondering if things worsen how soon I can start swallowing it again!

Thanks.

H

Comment

Hi Harriet

Thanks for info on Andrew Matheson, will take a look. I was off doxy for only a few weeks, and infection flared up again so was put back on it. Saw doc yesterday and he said I could be on it indefinitely! take care liz

Comment

Originally posted by Harriet Brown View Post
            Hi everyone

I live in Ireland and I've had dry eyes since 2003.

Being able to research things on this website has been such help (thanks to everyone) as good support is pretty impossible to find in this country. As we all know, it can be terribly isolating and debilitating.

H
            Hi Harriet

So many of your points resonate with me also. As a child, I suffered a lot with styes and inturned eyelashes. My eyes seemed to be a real weak spot - so whenever I became `rundown' - the poor eyes came out in sympathy! My mother was constantly concocting remedies and potions to build up my strength.

I'm also prone to bouts of iritis. Although I can never be sure of the `cause', it all started during an extremely stressful time of my life. I think my resistance was low and my eyes became vulnerable. (Of course I can never be sure that this was the case but I read that there is evidence of earthquake victims having higher rates of iritis recurrence - so some doctors think stress may be a factor).

As for the Dry Eye business.....that came on with a vengeance too. Iritis is a serious condition but I've found Dry Eye to have impacted on my life much more. Steroids and cyclopentolate have always done their job in recovering from bad bouts of iritis - and I can cope with the downside of having a cataract.

Reaching a stage where Dry Eye & blepharitis is manageable can be tough and it can indeed be very isolating - especially when medics are dismissive of it.

Hi Lizbet

I agree with Harriet's recommendation of Mathesons. I have not been to see Mr Matheson but have spoken to him on the phone and found him helpful and sympathetic. I've used his online shop to buy items and had prompt service at all times. I do understand your cynicism.

I have taken 100 mg of doxy (daily) for quite some time so I take Acidophilus probiotic to restore some of the good bacteria.

Comment

Hi Harriet,

Just wanted to say hello and that I hope you find some useful tips on this site...I know that I have for sure!

I definitely find stress to be a BIG problem for me and it is so hard for me to not stress...I constantly worry over health issues. When it comes to money, work, family life, etc. I am pretty go with the flow, but when it comes to my health or my loved ones health I am a CONSTANT worrier (I get this great characteristic from my mom).

It is hard to not stress about something that affects everything in your life in one way or another!

Comment

Working...
              X