Newly Diagnosed with Dry eye and looking for some insight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly Diagnosed with Dry eye and looking for some insight

Hi, my name is Theresa and I was diagnosed by my Opthamologist with Moderate dry eye. I am 35 year's old and feel a little depressed/discouraged about the entire situation. I have been on Thera Tears and taking my flax oil every day religiously now for over a month. I eat Salmon once a week and try to incorporate other fish into my diet praying that will help me. The symptoms have gotten worse, thus leading me to go to my Opthamologist for yet another visit. That is when she diagnosed me with moderate dry eye. She recommended I try Restasis. This is my second day on Restasis and the dry eye symptoms have gotten worse. I use the Thera Tears now more than ever. I just got off the phone with their customer service department and they are reporting that I am experiencing Ocular burning from the drops. She said if it persists to let my doctor know. She did say this was a normal side effect of the drug ( I can't see why it is supposed to help no?). Anyways, I am wondering if anyone knows how long I should give it before I call my physician and tell her this is not for me. I have done much research on dry eye, even on this site (which is great and helpful) I love it! I see that treatment options are limited, and I am young and want to avoid corneal damage. I had the option to try the plugs, but I told my Opthamologist I would give the Restasis a whirl. But just wondering how long I should give it before I give up.

P.S. I tried the Refresh Optive drops with the Restasis, big mistake. They made my symptoms even worse. I find Thera Tears to be a life saver FYI.

Looking forward to insight. Many thanks

Hi there...

I used restasis for two years and it did help quite a bit. (I quit using it because I no longer felt it was working.) It took *6 months* though before I noticed an improvement. I would try to give it as long as you can. Using preservative-free drops is a good idea too.

Comment

what did the docs say caused your dry eye?

That would help people steer you in the right direction. What symptoms do you have? beside the dry eye...like red eyes, crusting etc...

Comment

Originally posted by alisonW View Post
        I used restasis for two years and it did help quite a bit. (I quit using it because I no longer felt it was working.) It took *6 months* though before I noticed an improvement. I would try to give it as long as you can. Using preservative-free drops is a good idea too.
        Thanks Alison. I guess I will give it a try. After reading the posts here, it looks like it does cause the burning with many people. It is just annoying. I was hoping to feel better not worse. I agree the preservative free drops are better. The Refresh optive was a nighmare. I felt way worse using the Refresh Optive. Now that I am on Thera Tears again it seems slightly better, not 100% though. Still burning. Just did my drops and the burning is back. FRUSTRATION.

Comment

Originally posted by regina View Post
          That would help people steer you in the right direction. What symptoms do you have? beside the dry eye...like red eyes, crusting etc...
          I really don't have any other symptoms. My vision seems good. When I went to Doc she said vision is 20/20 they did a peripheral vision test too. That came back good. The Doc did have me on Alrex for a week prior to starting Restasis. You think that could be causing me to have stronger side effects?

The only symptoms I have are burning, feels like something is in my eye, and they are in a little pain just like they are inflamed. I also have floaters too. Oh what fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Chemia
            I agree the combination of restasis and optive was a nightmare. I first thought I was reacting horribly to the restasis but even after I stopped using the restasis and stayed on the preservative free optive, I had constant burning. The only drops I can tolerate are the preservative free Soothe drops and the oasis tears plus. I continue to use the restasis and even after 5 months it still burns, sometimes for a couple of hours and other times all day. I can't really say if it is helping or not but I continue to use it fearing I may get worse if I don't. Restasis does not do a whole lot for the meibomian glands even though some doctors claim it does, so you need to discuss with your doctor if you are producing enough of the oily layer.
            I agree. Refresh Optive and Restasis for me are dangerous. I wasted $10 on those drops because I had a coupon in the Restasis welcome packet and I thought if they were in the Packet they must work with the drug. Bad assumption. I will never use those drops again, they scare me. LOL. My first selection was Thera Tears and I have been happy with them. I have never heard of Soothe. I would be tempted to try them but don't want to rock the boat since Thera Tears works for me. It is interesting you mention the oil gland. How do they test for that? I take flax oil every day (non lignan) will that help with the oil?

Comment

Originally posted by alisonW View Post
              Alison out of curiosity since you are off Restasis, what do you use for your dry eye treatment?

Comment

The doc thinks the computer caused my dry eye and my age. I had all my blood work done and everything came back normal. So, she said it can happen to women in their thirties

Comment

Hi Theresa my name is Veronica. I complete understand how you feel. I'm experiencing the emotions. Sometimes I cry all day. I use to be a people person, smiled and talked to everyone. Now I just hide in my cave.

my personal e-mail is houston229@gmail.com your welcome to contact me.

Comment

Originally posted by houston229 View Post
                    Hi Theresa my name is Veronica. I complete understand how you feel. I'm experiencing the emotions. Sometimes I cry all day. I use to be a people person, smiled and talked to everyone. Now I just hide in my cave.

my personal e-mail is houston229@gmail.com your welcome to contact me.
                    Hi Veronica, I am glad to know that someone understands how I feel. I used to be like you, happy a people person and full of life. Now, I am just depressed, scared and not feeling myself. My family and friends just don't get it. I guess you never understand until you actually have dry eye. It is not fun. But hopefully we can learn to live with it. It is definitely a big change for me. Nice to know I am not alone. Thank you.

Comment

Lets move Mountains

If you ever need to talk please feel free to contact me. We have to get through this Teresa, Ok? We have to take little steps and start moving mountains again.
                      I might not be able to wear make-up ever again, But people need to learn to love the Veronica inside of me. Not the mask I use to wear....I miss wearing eyeliner the most .

My mom has been my rock through all of this. If my mom wouldn't have been there for me. I probably wouldn't gone crazy by now. People say it gets better. I CANT WAIT!!!!!!

How old are you?

Comment

Hello

Try putting restasis in refrigerator - reduces burning - use it when you are going to bed and in late morning

Comment

Originally posted by houston229 View Post
                          If you ever need to talk please feel free to contact me. We have to get through this Teresa, Ok? We have to take little steps and start moving mountains again.
                          I might not be able to wear make-up ever again, But people need to learn to love the Veronica inside of me. Not the mask I use to wear....I miss wearing eyeliner the most .

My mom has been my rock through all of this. If my mom wouldn't have been there for me. I probably wouldn't gone crazy by now. People say it gets better. I CANT WAIT!!!!!!

How old are you?
                          Aww. Veronica. Thank you. It has been a whirlwind of emotions for me. I am sure you are going through the same thing. We will get through this. I just miss being my old self. My husband has been sad he said he misses the old me. I have been a ball of nerves. I went to primary care doc and she is testing me for Sjogrens and other autoimmune disorders. She said she thinks everything is fine and not to worry, but I still worry.

I am glad you have your mom there with you. You do need someone you can talk to. I really have no-one. Everyone gets frustrated and tells me to get over it. So I am glad at least you have someone to lean on. I just talk to myself and try positive self talk.

Why can't you wear make up any more? Do you have Blepharitis or Rosacea? I am sorry that you can't wear makeup. :0( But, I am sure you still look great.

I am 35 year's old. But after all this I feel 70 LOL. Hope you are feeling better. Stay strong

Comment

Originally posted by howdryiam View Post
                            Try putting restasis in refrigerator - reduces burning - use it when you are going to bed and in late morning
                            Thanks I will try putting it in the fridge. It is not burning as much as it was, maybe I have to get used to it. Also, it is becoming humid again and my eyes feel a little better with the humidity.

Comment

Hi Regina, I just wanted to let you know that the docs tested me for everything under the sun, hormones, Sjogrens, Lupus, Diabetes, Rheumatoid conditions, all blood counts and everything came back normal. At this point the eye doc assumes I got this from sitting on the computer all day as all the tests show I am healthy. I even had abdomen ultrasounds and blood pressure checks. Cancer checks everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X