hello everybody

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello everybody

hello everyone. found this forum looking for why my eyes are always red for 2-3 years now. i dont know if i have dry eyes or not my eyes are just always red. i've been using drops like clear eyes and that stopped working so i started using these drops that have an antihistamine in it. that worked but im tired of buying them and putting them in. sometimes they work but for only a couple hours then i would have to put them in again. so, im happy i found this forum and i am ready to read, ask questions, and learn.

Originally posted by liljae8 View Post
    hello everyone. found this forum looking for why my eyes are always red for 2-3 years now. i dont know if i have dry eyes or not my eyes are just always red. i've been using drops like clear eyes and that stopped working so i started using these drops that have an antihistamine in it. that worked but im tired of buying them and putting them in. sometimes they work but for only a couple hours then i would have to put them in again. so, im happy i found this forum and i am ready to read, ask questions, and learn.
    Hi there and welcome!

Have you been using all these over the counter drops without seeing an eye doctor? I'm sorry to hear it if so - that's really bad for your eyes, especially the vasoconstrictors. Those have a rebound effect if you keep using them (as opposed to a once-in-a-while thing), so I'm afraid you have been inadvertently making the problem worse with the drops. The antihistamine drops probably have a harsh preservative which could also be contributing.

Anyway I think your step #1 right now is to see a good eye doctor and get a diagnosis and in the meantime discontinue all over the counter drops except unpreserved artificial tears - those are the products that say 'lubricant eye drops' but do NOT say for relief of redness, or itching, etc. and come in little vials that you use just once or twice.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
      Hi there and welcome!

Have you been using all these over the counter drops without seeing an eye doctor? I'm sorry to hear it if so - that's really bad for your eyes, especially the vasoconstrictors. Those have a rebound effect if you keep using them (as opposed to a once-in-a-while thing), so I'm afraid you have been inadvertently making the problem worse with the drops. The antihistamine drops probably have a harsh preservative which could also be contributing.

Anyway I think your step #1 right now is to see a good eye doctor and get a diagnosis and in the meantime discontinue all over the counter drops except unpreserved artificial tears - those are the products that say 'lubricant eye drops' but do NOT say for relief of redness, or itching, etc. and come in little vials that you use just once or twice.
      i always wanted to go to an eye doctor but im afraid they just want to sell me stuff and not cure my problem, but i will go. also, i've tried to stop using the drops but my eyes get really red and i get really embarras going to work. i work with customers all the time and i handle bulk foods and i dont want them seeing me with eyes like these. i just think they'll get turned off and not buy any of my products. so i put the drops. i will try again and i did buy those lubricants and will use those only. does placing castor oil before i sleep at night help? thanks in advance

Comment

It's just a doctor visit - they may give you a prescription to go get filled at a drugstore; few doctors sell anything for dry eye (or any of the other conditions that cause redness) in their office. The main thing is to find out what's wrong and what could be done to improve it. There are a lot of different approaches to treatment from drugs to natural.

I understand the work issue - there's a lot of people here struggling with this at work or school. Unfortunately the quick fix only makes things worse and worse. Redness of the kind you describe may take awhile to figure out and improve. If you don't wear glasses or contacts, I wonder if you could get a pair of glasses (with no power in the lenses) - something you really like the looks of but that might also help "hide" the redness, nice eye-catching frame, maybe even a slight tint in the lenses. Another benefit is anything in front of your eyes will reduce the impact of circulating air at work (if you have dry eyes).
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
        X