X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

Hello,
    I'm Bette.
    I was diagnosed with 'mild blepharitis' last June, one week after I had ended a long term relationship. No eye problems previously, no contact lenses but I had notice my vision had gotten a little worse a few weeks before.
    I went four weeks with gritty/burning/photophobia just trying eyedrops etc before I went to first The Western Eye Hospital A and E where they diagnosed me then 3 weeks later to Mooorfields who could see much wrong but told me to carry on with warm compresses etc.

My main symptom and the one that has upset me the most is the burning however I have had days even weeks with pretty good eyes, hardly any symptoms. I take thera tears nutrition, NAC, Resveratrol, multi vitamin etc, I use the eye bag, do massage, clean with either cooled boiled water, lid care wipes or baby shampoo. And I use Celluvisc eye drops. I had acupuncture combined with Chinese herbs which initially worked amazingly in combatting not only the eye problems but also the terrible depression I have developed and sadly still have. But I have had to stop the accupuncture. I have also had some therapy. I want to try anti depressants but am afraid because of the side effects. Am going to try 5 HTP. My diet is anti Inflammatory food. I think really I am doing everything right.
    Currently it is hard as I have had to leave my life in London six weeks ago to care for my mum who is quite unwell. I know I will be far away from my home for at least another two months while she has treatment. I am sure the stress and upset of this time does not help.
    I have been reading all of your posts on here for quite a while and it is shocking to see how common my problems plus a lot more are. I have read too how the shock of having to deal with something that is so in your face can be overwhelming. For women too the reality of being confronted with a make up free face after many years of presenting a made up one only adds to the sadness. I have given up moisturizer and foundation and too be honest my eyes feel so, so much better with nothing. But that is hard. Who the hell is this other women looking back at me. Some days I can wear it( extreme tolerance range) other days not and I take it off.
    I get mucous in the corner of my eyes too, not strings like some of you but white blobs though I think it has gotten a little better(Nac)
    Some veins have come up mainly in one eye.
    My depression and anxiety are pretty constant. Just think to the future and cannot see how one can have anything like a happy life with this constant burning in the eye. Think like this when eyes bad. Recedes when eyes good but as time has gone on I feel I know the pain is going to return.

Anyone else constantly think about the past and get a bit weepy over old photos of happy days? I have had practically no pics taken since this all started. Out and about I look at billboards, at people on the street laughing and seemingly carefree and just feel so, so sad? Cry a lot.
    A lot.
    All of this self pity when my Mum is so poorly is terrible. It is impossible to be the cheery ,positive person I have always been up til last year. I feel a terrible sense of guilt over that.

I have a private appointment with an Opthamologist in 2 weeks.

So, happy days and hello.

It sounds as though you haven't had any medications prescribed to you for your condidtion as of yet. This may be the key to managing your condition. I have heard that azasite and doxycycline might be helpful with blepharitis. Azasite helped me.

The first two opthamologists I went to kept telling me to try OTC drops and come back in a month. It wasn't until I went to an optometrist that I started getting the help I needed which included prescription medications.

I think that medications and all of the wonderful at home things you are doing (i.e. compresses etc.) work synergistically in helping with dry eye.

Comment

HI Bette and Tearless 2;

Welcome to Dry Eye Talk. It's 3 am or I'd say more than hi, but I have to hit the sack. (bed) lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hello Tearless and Lucy, thanks for the replies.
        I am going to ask about Doxy.
        Am also going to go Dr Latkany's Spa for Eyes. Think I have never quite done it as he describes so ... do many of you chaps do it the Latkany way and have had good results?

Also has anyone tried 5HTP to lift the mood. Am about to start tonight ...

Comment

Originally posted by Bette40 View Post
          Hello,
          My depression and anxiety are pretty constant. Just think to the future and cannot see how one can have anything like a happy life with this constant burning in the eye. Think like this when eyes bad. Recedes when eyes good but as time has gone on I feel I know the pain is going to return.

Anyone else constantly think about the past and get a bit weepy over old photos of happy days? I have had practically no pics taken since this all started. Out and about I look at billboards, at people on the street laughing and seemingly carefree and just feel so, so sad? Cry a lot.
          A lot.
          All of this self pity when my Mum is so poorly is terrible. It is impossible to be the cheery ,positive person I have always been up til last year. I feel a terrible sense of guilt over that.

I have a private appointment with an Opthamologist in 2 weeks.

So, happy days and hello.
          Hi Bette

You are cetainly not alone thinking like this. Don't feel guilty - you must attend to your own needs too.

I hope your forthcoming visit to the opthalmologist goes well.

Comment

Thanks Irish Eyes.

Comment

Flaky eyelid

I have developed this on one lid only about two months ago. Vaseline does not seem to have much impact. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Bette40 View Post
                I have developed this on one lid only about two months ago. Vaseline does not seem to have much impact. Anyone have any suggestions?
                A little castor oil perhaps?

Comment

8 hour cream

Thanks Irish, once again.

Am trying liz arden's 8 hour cream. Seems to be helping.
                  Hey, i love the fact of so many people from all over the world are helping each other on here. Lovely.

Comment

I read somewhere about Elizabet Arden Ceramides stuff was OK to use near the eyes although I've not tried it myself.

Yes, I agree that it's good `to connect'.

Comment

Working...
                    X