Lasik sufferer - Hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lasik sufferer - Hello!

I just had lasik eye surgery done and my right eye is severely dry. I need someone to give me hope that it can be corrected! It's hard to sleep at night and I have three kids so the thought of being like this forever is very depressing. I have such an appreciation for this condition now. Thanks for listening to me. I am also unsure how to find out if someone out there has replied to me?

I had lasik 1.5yrs ago and I'm still suffering with dry eye today, just visited my opthamologists office and he told me I'm rare and that only less then 1% of lasikies get the dry eye problems that I'm having (????). Must say that I'm much better then 1yr ago, been taking omega 3's, doxy, restasis and have punctal plugs - doc just sent me for blood work to see if we can use my own blood to make tear drops with. I'm sure you'll hear from many other lasikies on this board regarding their struggles and what has helped. Wish you the best!

Comment

I think Aaron's doc must be right... I've never met anyone in person who has had lasting severe dry eyes post-lasik...so odds are, you'll end up just fine!

There have also been several post-lasik people who have come and gone on these forums, many of whom have finally gotten the dryness under control... so there's always hope!

But in the mean time, you'll get lots of great ideas from reading through the various threads on this board.

Hang in there!

Comment

Thank you

Thank you both for responding. I just needed some hope and I got some from you two. Thank you. Another question if I can. I can't sleep, which I'm sure isn't helping the healing process. What do you suggest as dry eye sufferers to do to get better sleep?

Thank you again, you are the only two people that have said anything hopeful to me since I've been going through this.

Comment

What is the specific issue preventing sleep for you? Is it erosions? eyelids sticking to your eyeballs? or anxiety/depression-type stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret View Post
            I just had lasik eye surgery done and my right eye is severely dry. I need someone to give me hope that it can be corrected! It's hard to sleep at night and I have three kids so the thought of being like this forever is very depressing. I have such an appreciation for this condition now. Thanks for listening to me. I am also unsure how to find out if someone out there has replied to me?
            How recently was your surgery?

Regarding replies: If you want, you can be notified by email anytime someone replies to a thread you've started (or any thread you're interested in):

Scroll up and look for a button in the blue bar that says "Thread Tools". In the drop-down menu, click on "Subscribe to thread".

Hang in there. Statistically speaking, all the odds are in your favor that this will be temporary. This bulletin board is full of the exceptions but don't let that fool you into deciding prematurely that this is going to be a long term battle. You do everything you can for yourself now in expectation it will get better soon, and if you're among t he minority for whom it doesn't, you deal with that when you get there. You will pull through this fine
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you! To answer several questions:

1. Lasik surgery was done 9 days ago, but my doctors do not seem to have the positive hang in there response as you do! They are more like, "we can't predict your prognosis", etc.

2. I can't sleep mainly because my right eye is severely dry but also there is a sharp pain in it, like a large eyelash stuck along the side of my iris. I put in gels at night that help but by morning the feeling is back. The only hope I have that it will go away is that when I use temp drops for about 5 blinks I don't feel it.

I think the main reason I can't sleep is mental. It's tough to live this way with so many activities with my kids, etc. I've just tried to stay home and rest but it leaves you pretty quiet in your own thoughts!

I really can't thank you guys enough for just responding with hope. I have a lot of people around me but they have no idea what I'm feeling physically and I think most sort of feel like I should just be able to mentally beat the "dry eye" I'm feeling (like, "how bad can it be")

Comment

Max out your night protection for that eye... lubricant, eye patch or even taping it shut or goggle or something. Warm compress before bed might be helpful too.

Originally posted by Margaret View Post
                I think most sort of feel like I should just be able to mentally beat the "dry eye" I'm feeling (like, "how bad can it be")
                Suggest that they find out what it feels like by (a) holding their eyes open with no blinking for 2 minutes or (b) aiming a hairdryer at their eyes and seeing how long they can keep them open.

The cornea has the most densely packed nerves in the human body (since it's protecting a vital organ) and therefore is capable of producing a great deal of pain.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Ok, I'll try taping it shut tonight.

I noticed that you are living in Polsbo, WA? I live in Gig Harbor! What opthamologist do you see or suggest?

Thanks again,
                  Margaret

Comment

Need suggestions

Ok, so let's just say this severe dry eye is temporary for the moment. I still can't function today. What tips would you suggest me try? Currently I use Mura I think it's called? It's a sodium based gel at night. That seems to get me through the night, mostly. I use Systane drops at least once an hour, but usually more than once an hour. That doesn't work well so I've been closing my eyes during the day a lot. Outside the wind kills me. I wear sunglasses, but I still can't function much outside.

Thanks,
                    Margaret

Comment

I would try out a pair of Wiley X sunglasses... you can find a dealer in your area via their website so you can try them on before you buy... or, you can order them from Rebecca's shop. They are foam lined biker sunglasses... they don't look half bad, and they cut out the wind 99%.

Comment

Also, if you need something to do in your downtime that will be enjoyable yet not use your eyes, a lot of us find audiobooks to be wonderful for that. You can get them free from your local library or purchase them online at a site like audible.com

Comment

Thanks, I will try them. What do you use throughout the day to keep your eyes comfortable?

Comment

I use refresh plus and refresh celuvisc (thicker) to get me through the day, they are both preservative free and come in single use containers. Preservative free drops are suppose to be better long term than the preserved drops in the larger bottles.

Right after surgery nothing really worked to well for me but the people from the clinic I went to for the lasik were not working hard to help me out either. My eyes were bad, had to take 8 months off work and it was a year before I got back to a full duty job. Took me being off work for eight months before I could find a doc that would take me seriously, then came the doxy, plugs, restasis and now autologous serum drops (maybe).

All in all it may have just been time that really worked for me, I really don't know and the docs don't seem to know for sure either.

Just to add, there was a girl at work that had really bad dryness problems for about 2 weeks after her lasik surgery but I think after that she ended up doing pretty well.

Comment

I wear Lacriserts, plus supplement that with Oasis Tears Plus. Also, I wear moiusure chambers almost 100% of the time. (WileyX sunglasses outdoors and shopping, clear Wiley X's at home, and MEG's at work)

I also use Restasis and autologous serum drops... both 4 times daily

Comment

Working...
                              X