X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shogan
    replied
    Originally posted by Aaron77 View Post
    Do you find that DR.G's lenses also give you dry eye relief?
    Yes, but not the end all solution. In combination with other treatments it works excellent. While wearing the contacts my cornea and a bit of area around the cornea is contained in a bath of saline. However outside of the surface area of the scleral lens the eye still has problems. The most notable effect is regarding the ability to hold my eyes open longer. I no longer get the sudden onset sting of exposed cornea due to evaporation.

to abbygirl,

yes my eyes were puffy, swollen and slightly red in the a.m. My eyelids still stick to my eyes in the morning, so I wake carefully, but all of my eyelid swelling is visibly diminished, most notably the color. My eyelids and margins no longer are bright red, but now rather a healthy pink.

I have yet to speak to my optometrist about the results.

Leave a comment:

• abbygirl
    replied
    Shogan,
    I am so happy that things are looking up for you!!! I think alot of my dry eye problems are from inflammation also. Were your lids puffy and red in the AM??? I have found cold compresses work OK for the puffiness (after about 2 hours) but I am still left with some reddness. You mentioned seeing a DrG in Dallas...seems to have helped you. I am in Houston..where is DrG?? I would love to be able to get into a contact lens at least in one eye.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron77
    replied
    Originally posted by Shogan View Post
    Update

I also had the grate fortune of visiting DrG in Dallas. I left with an excellent pair of contacts that completely rid the bizarre light patters at night. I can honestly say that my night vision has been restored. They take a while to get used to but the more I wear them the better they feel. While they haven't completely fixed all of my issues, I am extremely thankful to DrG for the long hours he puts in to making each contact.
    Do you find that DR.G's lenses also give you dry eye relief?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    It's just another steroid drop - a different active ingredient than Lotemax.

Leave a comment:

• Margaret
    replied
    Can someone explain what FML is and does? Is it different from Lotemax?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Has your doc told you how long they expect to keep you on the FML? I keep wondering if someone with long-standing post-LASIK dry eye could go on it, bring down the inflammation long enough for things to "re-boot" and then slowly go off it and have life go back to normal... maybe it's not possible... I wonder though...

Leave a comment:

• Shogan
    replied
    I was placed on 2-4 times a day. I've been applying it 3 times: breakfast, lunch, dinner.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    This is fantastic news! So happy for you! Just curious, what is the dosing regimen of FML that he put you on?

Leave a comment:

• Shogan
    replied
    Update

Well its been almost 5 months since my last post. With the help of excellent doctors and much trial and error I have narrowed down the causes of my problems. My dry eye is almost certainly due to inflammation. Over the last few months things seemed to escalate pretty quickly. I developed daily eye strain headaches that completely put me on my butt. I developed a twitch in my upper right eyelid that bugged me for about 3-4 weeks.

So I visited another doctor and went through the same initial regimen of eye drops etc. I was directed to buy an otc overnight eye ointment for my lagopthalmos (spelling?) that she diagnosed. I had some severe reaction to the ointment pretty quickly...extreme red eye for about 4-5 hours in the morning, burning, and globs of mucus. I quit that and was prescribed FML. FML has restored my world. My eyes no longer get red even after hours on the computer or watching TV. It used to be after 10 minutes. My eyelids and eye margins are no longer swollen, red, and I assume inflamed. However, I am scared of coming off the drop. Is it back to the same problems?

I also had the grate fortune of visiting DrG in Dallas. I left with an excellent pair of contacts that completely rid the bizarre light patters at night. I can honestly say that my night vision has been restored. They take a while to get used to but the more I wear them the better they feel. While they haven't completely fixed all of my issues, I am extremely thankful to DrG for the long hours he puts in to making each contact.

Well thats the quick and simple of the last 4 or 5 months. I'm glad to have narrowed down the causes, glad to have experienced DrGs work, and thrilled with FML. However, still uncertain of whats to come after the drop.

Leave a comment:

• LilyFair
    replied
    Thanks Rose!

Leave a comment:

• Sammy B.
    replied
    Lily,

Dr. Hector is in Bradenton, FL, so that is a bit of a drive from Miami.

Dr. Toyos has been holding IPL sessions every month in either Miami Beach or Ft. Lauderdale. Not sure where he'll be this month or next month, but if IPL has interested you, and if you have MGD, it might be worthwhile to see him since you'll be in his general area.

Rose

Leave a comment:

• LilyFair
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    Shogun, so happy you are feeling better about your eyes. During the early times, each day seems like a week. After awhile time goes more quickly and at a year you almost forgot. Thanks for posting your information. It is good info, neither a "no problem" post nor anything scary. Lucy

I was at a dry eye seminar when Dr. Hector was a presenter. I was just in Fla and could have made an appt with him. I live in Mich, so it's something I need to think ahead about. Maybe next year. I don't think I would ever see the doc who does the expensive consult. I have been to drs who have charged that much though. I hope your future includes the things you want to do. You are still a young man.
    Where is Dr Hector located Lucy? Have you head good things about him? I'm a post lasik dry eye person, had the Lasik last June, no dry eye before that. I'm in Miami Beach for the next month and wondered if he was anywhere near me.

Leave a comment:

• Perception
    replied
    Shogan,
    Glad to hear you are doing ok. I am 8+ months now. Even though some of the complications remain, I mentally am getting along better than before.

I too plan to see Dr G this summer in July. We'll have to share experiences.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Shogun, so happy you are feeling better about your eyes. During the early times, each day seems like a week. After awhile time goes more quickly and at a year you almost forgot. Thanks for posting your information. It is good info, neither a "no problem" post nor anything scary. Lucy

I was at a dry eye seminar when Dr. Hector was a presenter. I was just in Fla and could have made an appt with him. I live in Mich, so it's something I need to think ahead about. Maybe next year. I don't think I would ever see the doc who does the expensive consult. I have been to drs who have charged that much though. I hope your future includes the things you want to do. You are still a young man.

Leave a comment:

• Shogan
    replied
    1 year and a day

Hi again everyone,

Its been awhile since I've last posted on my circumstance, but I have been back now and then reading the forums.

Yesterday was the 1 year mark of my Lasik surgery. In hindsight it feels its past so quickly, but during the worst suffering it felt as if there would never be any relief. Fortunately there has been relief; relief of wound healing over time. I haven't had any erosions since Oct. 2010 and I have been able to ween myself off of eye drops all together. My eyes are not like they used to be...they are still painful and dry all of the time, but I have grown "used" to it somehow and the severity has decreased to a nuisance.

I didn't even think about the 1 year mark till right before I went to bed last night. I feel happy about the fact that it slipped my mind, but still sad about the entire situation. Fortunately life is better in new ways for me. I feel excited about the prospect of seeing Dr. G in Dallas this summer. The hope of that solution helps me. I also have a better job as a fitness instructor working nearly 50 hours a week. The exercise and little time to think about my eyes does well for me. However, I still struggle mentally with the floaters. Only noticeable in one eye but still bothersome in daylight or uniform pastel colored backgrounds.

Anyway getting ready to head to bed to end my week. Feel free to PM me or write back with any questions comments or if you want more info if you are suffering as well.

Thank all

Leave a comment:

Working...
X