Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Lid Retraction Surgery

Hello all,
    I am new to the site, but not to dry eye. I have dealt with dry eyes for over 20 years. I am now scheduled for lower lid retraction surgery. Does anyone have any experience with this? I know it probably won't totally resolve things, but I'm hopeful it might help.

2dry

2dry, perhaps you could help us understand exactly what it is they are going to do. I know from the sound of it what it may be, but have never heard of this exactly.

please delete this post. posted twice.
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

An implant is placed below the eye to raise the lower lid. It will help to minimize the amount of eyeball that is exposed, hopefully helping with the dryness.

Comment

lower eyelid surgery

I had the lower eyelid surgery about 7 years. It was done with a canthoplasty and an alloderm spacer. My lower eyelid looked better cosmetically, but it didn't help the burning or redness. About 6 months after that surgery, I had amniotic membrane transplantation surgery in that same area of the eye and it got rid of both the burning and redness.

Comment

hello 2dry,
          It seems like a drastic thing have to do. Will it change the look of your eye cosmetically? If the purpose of the surgery is to reduce the surface area of the eyeball exposed, could 'scleral lenses' do the same thing and actually cover more of the eyeball?
          I'm just wondering whether you are going for the correct procedure. Do a lot of homework and speak with other people whom have had it done before making a final decision about it. Good luck.

Comment

Hello DCR,

Yes it is a drastic thing to do, but sometimes I don't know how I can make it through another day. Hopefully it will help. I have an excellent oculoplastic surgeon. I've been to many doctors for my eyes. Went to Mayo Clinic for a year. Sclerals were a thought but I probably wouldn't tolerate them. Thanks for your input.

2dry

Comment

Lower Lid retraction surgery Don't do it....it does not work and makes things worse

I'm new at this blogging on the computer, let me know if you are getting this message on lower lid retraction surgery. I had it done twice for dry eyes (my eyes did not close all the way after too much skin was taken out after a blepharplasty and laser resurfacing tighening my skin too much under my eyes) all I got out of it was drier eyes and my vision made worse (ended up with astigmatisms0 and my blink on one eye worse. The first ocuplastic surgeon screwed up so the second Ocuplastice surgeon was going to correct it and only made it worse and these were some of the top in Seattle and LA. They make you think that they can help, but they don't. I talked to another ocuplastic surgeon who did his thesis on lower lid retraction surgery and how it does not work. I'm proof that it does not help dry eyes, but makes them worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret T View Post
                I'm new at this blogging on the computer, let me know if you are getting this message on lower lid retraction surgery. I had it done twice for dry eyes (my eyes did not close all the way after too much skin was taken out after a blepharplasty and laser resurfacing tighening my skin too much under my eyes) all I got out of it was drier eyes and my vision made worse (ended up with astigmatisms0 and my blink on one eye worse. The first ocuplastic surgeon screwed up so the second Ocuplastice surgeon was going to correct it and only made it worse and these were some of the top in Seattle and LA. They make you think that they can help, but they don't. I talked to another ocuplastic surgeon who did his thesis on lower lid retraction surgery and how it does not work. I'm proof that it does not help dry eyes, but makes them worse.
                I'm sorry to hear about your experience but I wanted to offer another perspective. I also had lower lid spacer grafts and it did help me. It is a rather drastic approach but when you've tried artificial tears, restasis, compresses, fish oil, duct cautery, etc. sometimes drastic is the next step.
                It did help me. Unfortunately my first surgery used hard palate grafts and these ended up needing to be removed because they were producing mucus. I had the grafts removed and replaced with a different graft material.
                No surgery is without risks but lid spacer grafts are used a lot from what I can tell from my research.
                I hope the OP, 2dry2cry, is doing better. I know this post is probably months after your surgery if you did go through with it.

Comment

I suppose I am in a similar situation - I have tried most things now to combat my red/burny/super sensitive eyes and I have had it pointed out that my eyes are exposed laterally, and that lower lid surgery could close the exposed gap and potentially help. I am tempted to agree (I am allergic to alot of airborne stuff so I get the feeling closing this up could help a bit - although I feel sure it would not clear things up entirely).

I am really interested in hearing more about peoples experienced or if anyone can point me in a useful direction in terms of researching this subject I would really appreciate it, as it is a slightly scary proposition!

Comment

Working...
                  X