New to this site. My story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this site. My story

Great to see sites like this exist. I had a weird dry eye attack last year and finally visited an optometrist. Turned out I had small allergic bumps under my eyelids. Problem solved with Naphcon A. This year I had the same symptoms after taking a round of Sulpha antibiotics for an infection not related to my eyes. Wham, no tears whatsoever. I googled the drug name and all that came up was it was seen in dogs to cause dry eye, sometimes permanently. Anyone hear of getting DES from Sulpha drugs ? Other possibilities are Accutane, but I took it 25 years ago. I was also on an ACE inhibitor for blood pressure, but stopping that made no difference.
    Wow, I've had a few health issues in my life but this takes the cake. Brutal.
    My opth. unfortunately does not seem very knowledgeable in DES. She didn't ask me any questions of what drugs I might be taking, etc.. She just said we all produce less tears as we get older (I'm 44). I believe her but I also believe this is not a case of lower tear production, its no tear production. And thats not normal.
    I had to ask her to get Restasis( in Canada we have to request it through a program) Been taking it for 3 months with some success, but the only thing that guarantees a good day are my 7 Eyes sunglasses.
    I will see her next week for a follow up, perhaps I should get punctal plugs ?
    Maybe I should try a cycle of Doxycycline ?
    My heart go's out to the sufferers of this extremely annoying affliction. There is nothing worse than being aware of a body part all day that you should not be aware of. And this scratchy, burning, twitchy feeling is not something anyone should suffer through. I'm a little surprised and sad they don't have better treatments. Like at least a drug that will numb the symptoms. Cheers

about the treatment

I know what you mean when you say about treatment- when I went to my doctor with dry eyes I asked:
    How long will it take to cure my eyes?a week or two?
    When he answered: A year if you are lucky ... I couldn't believe!!!!

Comment

Working...
    X