Miserable in Vegas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miserable in Vegas

I've suffered from dry eye for 7 months now. I was diagnosed two months ago by my optometrist who prescribed Restasis. An opthamologist put plugs in my bottom tear ducts a month ago. My Shirmers was 1 in my right eye and zero in my left eye. I use goggles, 2 humidifiers, three other eye drops, two ointments, eyelid scrub, hot packs, and sunglasses. My right eye has responded well but my left eye (the 0 one) is a killer. The eyelid just won't stay open most of the time unless I'm wearing swim goggles! I cannot drive or read more than a few pages. I am very depressed and panic when I have to leave the house. My primary care physician refuses to give me anything for the anxiety saying that it will interfere with the Restasis. (???)Any suggestions anyone?

Hi and welcome!

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
    The eyelid just won't stay open most of the time unless I'm wearing swim goggles!
    You might want to run with this for the moment... in a more practical/aesthetically acceptable form. Take a look for moisture chambers, foam-lined sunglasses, etc. These are a major aid especially when you're in a flare-up or crisis mode till other treatments really start kicking into gear.

I am very depressed and panic when I have to leave the house. My primary care physician refuses to give me anything for the anxiety saying that it will interfere with the Restasis.
    My suggestion is... another doctor. Ask for a referral to a psychiatrist if your GP won't do this. Their response really surprises me. I know tons of people on antidepressant and/or antianxiety medications with dry eye. It is true that these medications can sometimes further dry your eyes so for some people they don't work out but we have to find a balance in our needs and oftentimes the need for something to deal with anxiety becomes the overriding concern so it may be the right thing to do in the short term.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks Rebecca. I just ordered some new goggles to wear over my glasses and I also requested a new doctor. Since I'm with an HMO and will be on Medicare and a supplement in two months, I had to go with whoever would take the insurance. I have no idea who this new guy is, but his office is just up the street from me - a big plus for me. I cannot see him for 30 days though, so will just have to deal with all this until then. Am seeing the opthamologist again too for plugs in the top tear duct in that miserable left eye. I'm trying everything!

Comment

update

"new doctor"

Saw my new doctor who prescribed zoloft and xanax. All plugs have fallen out so will try cauterization next.

Comment

Working...
        X