Expect to be seeing a lot of me :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expect to be seeing a lot of me :)

Been browsing for a while, finally posting! Really appreciate the value of this forum, so nice to see everyone coming together and gethering information to help one another out.

A bit about me...I am 25, I reside in Ontario, Canada. I live with my dear fiance and our rambunctious puppy and two spoiled cats. Getting married next July-can't wait! But don't want to be dealing with dry eye on the big day, or ever...

I believe I may have just been born with dry eye, I don't recall ever not having symptoms, but it became very bothersome in about 2003. And since then my eye problems have come to significantly affect my quality of life. I know that feeling when crossing a room feels like scraping something across your eyes and I know the feeling of your aching eyes being so sensitive that just turning your head to make eye contact hurts.

Yet I'm new to the world of treatment options. Last year I did have temporary collagen plugs inserted and the results were excellent, I was smiling again! but they only lasted a few months. Now I'm on the search for something more long-term, in addition to trying to find the cause, adding supplements to my regimen and whatever else it takes. I'm basically open to considering whatever is out there, I just want this feeling to go away!

Welcome,
    I think it's important to try to find a doctor near you who specializes in dry eye. whether it's an optometrist or opthamologist doesn't matter (at least to me) as much as the doctor has experience treating patients with dry eye. Shop around and ask what percentage of patients he/she sees where they are treating them specifically for dry eye.

You may also want to discuss your symptoms with your PCP and discuss testing for certain conditions with them -- if they feel it's indicated (i.e. thyroid etc).

Finally, you might also want to check out Dr. Latkany's book "dry eye remedy" as it has some helpful tips for dealing with dry eye - from mild to severe.

Comment

Hi tearless2, thanks for your suggestions.

I've had no luck finding a doctor near me, but I did find one 3 hours away, so I guess that will have to do. I'm also looking for a PCP so I can go through the battery of tests. Have a whole checklist of things to do, just working my way through them. I will check out that book and see if there's anything else in there I can add to my list!

Thank you!
      -Posey

Comment

Working...
      X