Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posterior blepharitis......or not?

Hello fellow dry eyed people!

I have been suffering from "yuckyIsand" and all the misery that goes along with it for just about one solid year.
    I have listened to doctors advice & kept the eye area scrubbed w baby shampoo (and lately) tea tree oil shampoo, kept pillows & sheets clean & fresh, washed face & eyes as much as possible, and use warm compresses.

I've learn to take everywhere I go a clean bandana style handkerchief so I can avoid the mortal sin of sticking one of my index fingers into the inner creases of my eyes and while pulling down ever so slightly on the inner cheek, fish out the yucky eye sand.

An ophthomologist diagnosed posterior blepharitis with a slit microscope this past spring, Then he proceeded to write me a prescription for Tobradex ointment, which I couldn't afford! ($80 with insurance). So instead, I got another ointment product called (here goes!) neomyc-polym-dexamet eye oifal.
    This stuff seemed to have some positive effect for maybe a month or two, especially during vacation time this past summer. But now that summer's gone, yucky eye sand is flowing freely onto my pillow again. Or could this recurrance be somewhat unrelated to the medicine? Could there be positive effects of sunlight (or vitamin D) on blepharitis?

The longer this goes on, the more I worry. The reason why is because my father before he passed away had glaucoma in his late 60's & early '70's, and these ointments supposedly are prone to increasing pressure in the eyes, just like glaucoma sufferers. (But for now, mine are fine at "16".)

I also wonder sometimes if this could be something else altogether!
    The reason for this is: Lacking washing facilities, after 1 year I'm sort of a pro at being able to turn my head almost upside down / sideways & manually discharging this 'sand' via stimulating (tugging slightly) the lacrimal gland in the inside corner of the eye. Sometimes this discharge process might take as long as 5-8 minutes per side of face, nothing but a steady flow of gritty sand!
    After I 'finish' one side of my face, I can feel around my upper face with my fingers to find out exactly where the "sand" came from, and it's NOT from the eyes, but rather from around the bridge of the nose, EXACTLY where glasses would rest!

So please, anyone, tell me....is THIS posterior blepharitis?
    Or are maybe the insides of my sinus cavities gradually being eaten away by some tissue eating bacteria?

Gee, thanks for nothing, people!

Comment

With due respect, how are we meant to know what you have?

You wrote:

"An ophthomologist diagnosed posterior blepharitis with a slit microscope this past spring"

I have posterior blepharitis (MGD) but it doesn't match your symptoms.

Regarding your comment:

"Or are maybe the insides of my sinus cavities gradually being eaten away by some tissue eating bacteria...."

Are you referring to Necrotizing fasciitis? I'm unsure if you are joking or not.

Comment

Originally posted by yuckyIsand View Post
        Gee, thanks for nothing, people!
        Oh come ON!!

You know what? I understand how frustrating this condition can be, but taking that kind of attitude really peeves me off. All of us on this forum have a life outside of our computers... we work, look after our kids, and try to save our eyes for the stuff we NEED to do, and hopefully have enough eye comfort left over to allow us to enjoy a hobby or two ... when we have a little bit of extra "eye time" that we can afford to donate, we help each other here on the forums.

A suggestion for you... next time you post something and it doesn't get an answer, why not add another post that nicely asks again if anyone has any ideas that might help you??

Sometimes new posts move down the boards before someone that knows the answer gets a chance to see it... so chill out... and consider offering a sincere apology... you might have peeved off someone who could have helped you had you not developed this attitude...
        Last edited by SAAG; 03-Dec-2010, 15:20.

Comment

Working...
        X