Relief!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relief!!!

My dry eye started about 2 yrs ago. I have been completely miserable ever since it started. I have 2 children that are growing up so quickly but it has been so hard to be involved in their lives because of this disease. I was in pain all the time. My eyes would burn and ache constantly. I have tried all kinds of treatment from doxy and restasis to almost every brand of tears and ointments. Then finally 3 weeks ago I had my 1st IPL treatment from an Ophthamologist in the Miami area. (DR. Toyos) Since this treatment I actually feel like a normal person. I can't even describe the change I feel! I know I still have a long road ahead of me, but for the first time in 2 yrs I see the light at the end of the tunnel. This is my first time on this site but I felt like this was important to share. The IPL treatment is a light therapy that unclogs your glands and makes your eyes less inflamed. The light is definately hot and it feels like rubberbands on your cheeks but it is completely worth it and the treatment only takes a few minutes. Even if it took up most of my day it would be worth it! I feel very lucky to have found this treatment. I kind of stumbled upon it just surfing the internet. There is a dry eye video that this doctor put together and after watching it I heard he was coming to my area. I thought why not since I feel like I have tried everything else! My next appointment is in a couple of weeks and I can't wait!

PHP,

Thanks so much for this report. So Dr. Toyos has a clinic in Miami? For some reason I thought he was stationed in Memphis.

Can you expand a little more on what your symptoms were? When did they start (morning, evening?), and what was the pain like (burning? Stinging?)?

I am a post-LASIK'er like you and have been struggling with MGD.

Thank you,
    Rose

Comment

Sammy B

Thanks for responding. I'm new at this but after reading different posts for the past couple of months I knew I would feel comfortable finally sharing with other people here. He does have a clinic in Memphis and before I knew he was coming to Miami I thought about traveling up there for my 1st treatment. I think it was just good timing and worked out that he was coming here. However, I am going to travel to Memphis for my next treatment bc he won't be back here until the beginning of Dec. As for symptoms, my lasik surgery was about 6 years ago and things were really good for awhile. About 2 yrs ago I started dealing with the dryness. Even thinking about it now right after lasik they told me I was 20/20 but I never felt my vision was that good. After a cpl of yrs the burning and watering started. Mornings are okay, but by midday the discomfort starts. I became obsessed with drops. I felt like I was constantly trying to find the right one that would give me some sort of comfort. My eye doctor would just kind of blow me off. Especially after the restasis didn't work. Some days are better than others but the best I have felt in what seems like forever has been the last few weeks since my IPL treatment. I feel it is extremely worth the trip to Memphis to have my next treatment and I really can't wait!!

So how about you? I see that you're a veteren here. How long have you been struggling?? Is there anything working for you? Hope to hear from you soon.

PHP

Comment

Hi PHP,

Thanks for the details. I would first like to request that you continue to update us on your progess with the IPL, if that's not asking too much. We really like to hear progress stories around these parts, I am sure you can imagine why!

I had LASIK in 1/2008 and did OK for a while with just drops in the AM & PM. I had a feeling that something wasn't quite right but my doc told me to expect dryness temporarily so I figured it'd go away. When it didn't I got pretty pissed....to say the least.

Since about last June it's been a struggle. Just in July of this year I started Restasis and it wasn't enough, so I added lower punctal plugs (you can see that I move at a snail's pace with treatments - which doesn't mean I'm not freaking out behind the scenes, I just like to try 1 thing at a time - something I learned on this board is that PATIENCE IS KEY).

Anyway, after I got the lower plugs I felt so wonderful that I stopped the Restasis. BIG MISTAKE. The last week has been horrible - I had forgotten what this constant state of burning felt like to be honest with you. I added the Restasis back into the regime last night and voila, the burning is gone again. I'm hoping that plugs + Restasis might be my answer, at least for now.

Regarding your glands - did you know they were blocked? Could you tell they were blocked by looking at them, or did other doctors say they were? Also, when Dr. Toyos did the gland expression, was there really that gunky stuff coming out that people speak ok?

PLEASE do keep us posted on your story. We are very grateful for your details.

Rose

Comment

IPL Update

This is just an update from my IPL treatments. I have had 3 treatments so far, 2 in Miami and 1 in Memphis. At my last treatment my glands had improved by 45%!! The pain has decreased and I am feeling more and more like a normal person. Of course there are still bad days but the good ones are more and more. I have read a lot of posts on this site and can tell there are mixed emotions about this treatment and even about Dr. Toyos and his intentions. I realize everyone is different and respond differently to treatments and drops. But IPL has given me back my life and i am very grateful! I still need to go back for 1 more treatment but after that i can start maintenance. I think my next appt is in Fort Lauderdale so if anyone is in that area and can't afford to travel this is a good opportunity. I know Dr. T is continuing to train around the country.

I strongly recommend trying IPL!!! I know what it's like to suffer from this and would like to help whoever I can.

Comment

i am curious.. can they do IPL on the upper lids as well? thanks!!! and congrats on feelng better. i am happy for you!
            Jenny

Comment

Working...
            X