Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Erbium/YAG laser skin peel damages eyes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erbium/YAG laser skin peel damages eyes?

Hi All:

About 3 yrs ago I had an Erbium laser skin treatment. The next morning @ 5:30 a.m. I awoke with my eyelids stuck to my eyeballs. Had never had dry eyes before nor had I ever heard of it. I talked to the doc and he says no way could the treatment have caused this. Can't think what else it could have been. Have taken Restasis (3 months), Polysporin, Lotomax, Azacite and a bunch of over-the-counter products, plus lots of Omega 3 and ground Flax Seeds and around-the-clock humidifier. The first year was horrible; now 3 years later it's somewhat short of horrible. Initially the discomfort was only at night, then it started spreading out to the day, now pretty much 24 hours but worse at night. The opthalmologists don't seem to be interested in the cause but I feel that if they don't understand what happened, then they won't be able to treat it.

Has anyone every heard of YAG/Erbium skin laser causing Severe Dry Eye syndrome? Any idea of what might have happened?

By the way at the moment I'm trying Muro 128 - so far it provides the most consistent relief at night. I'm just trying a new omega 3 product. They have a dry eye capsule too but said this cardo-omega capsule should also work. I'll let you know.

Many thanks and my warmest wishes to all of you.

Robin

Robin:

About a year ago I had two separate sessions with a YAG laser for a birthmark on my lower lip spreading toward my chin. My sessions were approx. 20 min. each and the YAG hand-held attachment was used each time. The nurse had me keep my eyes closed during the procedure, place cotton over my eyes and wear special "sunglasses" she provided. I didn't experience any negative effects regarding my eyes. Did the person doing your procedure have you use the same eye safety precautions?

Maria

Comment

Erbium/Yag laser and dry eyes

Hi Maria:

Thanks for the reply. I hope you had good results with your treatment.

Different kind of procedure it seems. The YAG Erbium skin treatment requires anesthesia. I didn't know it at the time but apparently a steel cap is placed under the lid. They claim they did that.

So far, continues to get worse. Now hard to use the computer or read.

I feel so bad for people whose syndrome has progressed beyond this stage and am afraid that that's what's ahead.

Hope you're doing well and wish you a happy 2011.

Robin

(By the way, I wasn't on a notification subscription, I now see, so only just noticed your message. Tx again.)

Comment

Robin, I'd strongly suggest posting your original thing in Dr. Latkany's forum. Coincidences DO happen, and I don't know anything about this laser stuff, but I wonder if he might have more insight into a possible connection considering the timing.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Rebecca:

Many thanks. I've found Dr. Latkany's website but no forum. Could you direct me.

Thank you, Robin

Comment

Working...
          X