New Member in Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member in Ohio

This site as already been comforting to know I'm not the only one suffering as doctors would have me to believe. 4 Doctors in the past year and none of them know what to do. One has said I just have to live with it. My eyes have been burning for a year now. I have been tested for all auto immune diseases and vitamin deficiency- all neg. I have been on Restasis for 10 months, have had the bottom tear ducks surgically closed, plugs in the top, many kinds of tear drops, night gel, Omega 3 vitamins, lots of water and 5 different times on Lotemax and/or another stronger steroid and nothing has worked. The dry eye strip tests are good, like 10 in each eye but show inflammed and burn all the time. I go back again next month trying Lotemax again but no relief. I wear glasses but I am a healthy 37 year old woman. Can anyone offer some advice or tips that I haven't tried? I'll try anything

Hi!

I'd check out the chapter on Management of Dry Eye in the DEWS report:

http://www.tearfilm.org/dewsreport/p...DEWS-noAds.pdf

You might get some ideas to discuss with your doctor from that...

Also, if you haven't already, maybe get tested for allergies?

I'd ask about the possibility of meibomian gland dysfunction also... oral tetracyclines (ex. doxycycline) may help with that...

Another thing you might find useful is getting your glasses made into moisture chambers:

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/blog.php?b=215

For computer time, I find Workrave to be indispensable... it's a little program that you download... then you can set it however you want to sound an alarm that you can use to remind yourself to take blink breaks... I've got mine set to go off every 15 seconds... very annoying, but worth it because it saves my eyes from a lot of the irritation they would otherwise get when using the computer.

http://www.workrave.org/

If your eyes tend to feel better in humid environments, I highly recommend getting a humidifier installed on your furnace... I just love mine because it makes my home so much more comfortable for my eyes during our dry winter months!

Hope this helps! Things will get better... sometimes it just takes a while... eventually, it's bound to improve (my doc said it's rare to not be able to get someone with dry eyes functional again... so odds are in your favour!)

Comment

New member in Ohio

Thanks so much for replying so quickly. I forgot to mentioned we did try alergy meds. I can't remember the first one but the secnd one was PATADAY and they didn't work. I do have a humidifier. I do work at a computer all day so I'm sure that doesn't help. I also forgot to mention I am on menocycline, no signs of Roscea but it was worth a try.

Thank You for the links, I will check them out. I'm thinking about trying a sleeping mask of some sort or maybe going off everything. Thanks again for giving me some hope

Comment

Originally posted by Leann93 View Post
        I forgot to mentioned we did try alergy meds. I can't remember the first one but the secnd one was PATADAY and they didn't work. I do have a humidifier. I do work at a computer all day so I'm sure that doesn't help. I also forgot to mention I am on menocycline, no signs of Roscea but it was worth a try.

Thank You for the links, I will check them out. I'm thinking about trying a sleeping mask of some sort or maybe going off everything. Thanks again for giving me some hope
        It can be tough to figure out what's behind all this... Dr. L has said many times in his section of the forum that you need to find the cause of the problem to be able to fix it... hard to do for some of us, but still worth trying! Keep on searching for answers... eventually you're bound to find something that helps!

Comment

First thought would be to remove top plugs. If your tear production is ok, you might have a quality problem thus quadra-plugging may be trapping inflammatory tears, which make your eyes feel unhealthy.

Rose

Comment

tears production

Originally posted by Leann93 View Post
            This site as already been comforting to know I'm not the only one suffering as doctors would have me to believe. 4 Doctors in the past year and none of them know what to do. One has said I just have to live with it. My eyes have been burning for a year now. I have been tested for all auto immune diseases and vitamin deficiency- all neg. I have been on Restasis for 10 months, have had the bottom tear ducks surgically closed, plugs in the top, many kinds of tear drops, night gel, Omega 3 vitamins, lots of water and 5 different times on Lotemax and/or another stronger steroid and nothing has worked. The dry eye strip tests are good, like 10 in each eye but show inflammed and burn all the time. I go back again next month trying Lotemax again but no relief. I wear glasses but I am a healthy 37 year old woman. Can anyone offer some advice or tips that I haven't tried? I'll try anything
            10mm is not okey. At your age it should be more than 15mm (about 20-22mm) therefore you feel this discomfort.

Comment

Originally posted by Sammy B. View Post
              First thought would be to remove top plugs. If your tear production is ok, you might have a quality problem thus quadra-plugging may be trapping inflammatory tears, which make your eyes feel unhealthy.

Rose
              sorry forgot to mention the top plugs are out. Thank you for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by aga View Post
                10mm is not okey. At your age it should be more than 15mm (about 20-22mm) therefore you feel this discomfort.
                I didn't even know they went that high. The doc said most of her patients have 1-5 on the dry eye test and in some cases she takes blood from the patient and make tears with it but in my case she couldn't because I was making enough tears. Thanks for replying

Comment

Have you tried Dwelle or FreshKote? It is the one thing that finally made my eyes feel better. It was not a quick fix though. It took months to finally go away. I only use drops before bed and then I still use my Tranquileyes (just because I am afraid what will happen if I do not).

Comment

I use FreshKote and it has helped me A LOT!

Comment

Working...
                    X