New User/ Dry Eye Sufferer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New User/ Dry Eye Sufferer

Hello my name is Crystal, I'm 32 years old and I live in Georgia. In the past year, I have undergone lasik enhancement that has changed my life dramatically. I had my first lasik procedure in 2000 and had success for approximately 2 years and then I was back in glasses/contacts. I have a very bad astigmatism and I guess this was what made me fall back to where I started. I am in law enforcement and I thought that an enhancement some 9 years later would be the best thing for me to do my job duties to the fullest. Well..... was I wrong.

After the first surgery, I experienced the "common" dry eye problem, but did not have any trouble from it. My three optomotrist said that it was pretty common, but that I should be fine. When I went in to speak with the doctor that conducted the 2nd lasik procedure, he said that my eyes were very dry, and made the statement " your eyes are dry, but you should do fine". After the surgery, I could not see a thing. He said it was from the dry eyes and that it would get better over time. Boy was he wrong. I suffered with my vision and he put me on medications that made my pressure go to 30 in one eye and 31 in the other. The vision never got better and within 7 days, I had to be reopened and have infection scraped out (epithelal ingrowth, don't know how to spell that correctly, but you get the idea). Since then, I got a second opinion from a doctor and he flipped out! He took me off the medication immediatly and put me on Flaxseed and vitamin C daily. He told me that I should have never had the second surgery and wanted to have a consult with the doctor that did the procedure. So far, a year has passed and I have the worst case of dry eyes my doctor has ever seen for my age and I registered a 0 on the tear production test. My eyes are not gritty or do they hurt, but my vision is constantly impaired and I live with refresh tears by my side everyday all day. I have to sleep with a sleep mask and thick gel in my eyes. I have tried all that I can think to make it better, but nothing seems to help. I bought the humidifier and also do the hot towel in the morning. I am extrememly depressed and my nerves are shot. I am on the verge of medication and I fear what is to come. I have had blisters already on my cornea and I cant stand to know what I have to face. I am thankful that I can see a little here and there, but live in fear. I am reaching out for help and to have someone talk me through this. Im scared! I know that I am one of millions with dry eyes, but why do I feel alone?

You are not alone. All of us here have had periods of hopelessness. It sounds like you are trying hard to deal with your problem. One suggestion that I have is to get some snug fitting sunglasses type moisture chamber goggles. Since you are in law enforcement, you probably spend a lot of time in your car and auto air conditioners can be brutally drying. I have discovered that on long trips I need to wear my Synergeyes contacts with my goggles, but that is not a solution for everyone. You may need to wear clear lenses moisture chambers indoors also. I hope not because they are ugly, but I do wear mine when needed.

You also might want to try the Oasis tears that are available on this website. Since I have Sjogren's, I was advised to start off using them 5-7 times a day instead of the usual two times a day. They are a nice thick drop that seems to last.
    I'm not using them regularly now since I am using Restasis 4 times daily.

I hope you have good luck finding a routine that works for you.

Comment

Working...
    X