New to this site, but a dry-eye veteran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this site, but a dry-eye veteran

I have suffered from red eyes and dry eyes for several years now. My eyes are not that bad when I am home, but they get considerably drier, more red, and sting when I am at work. I work under flourescent lights and feel as though that is the culprit. I just started Restasis about 3 weeks ago. I have plugs in the bottom. I have allergies and have taken shots for almost 3 years. I have become really self-conscious about how my eyes look. I have big eyes and I think part of the issue is that more of my eyes are exposed than some people's. Anyway, I am just curious about how many of you have an increased severity of symptoms in certain lighting and how you deal with that when it is your place of employment! I wear contacts, and do not really want to wear obviously tinted glasses, but have considered a light tint. I have read about allergies to flourescent lights, but I do not really understand that. I love my job, but wish it did not cause my eyes so many fits!

I know what you mean about loving work but it not being the most ideal place for your eyes. I ride, massage, and give riding lessons on horses but am allergic to them in *high* quantities according to my allergy tests. I'm also allergic to dust and mold, which is impossible to get away from when you are at a horse barn! I love what I do but my eyes hate it.

I don't have any great suggestions, I'm on allergra, PF tears, alrex 1x a day, and pataday drops and currently the combination is working wonders for me. I'm so much less itchy and my eyes are not red at the end of the day. Maybe just using some PF tears, keep a few vials in your pocket, at a few intervals throughout the day would help refresh and sooth your eyes in your workplace?

Comment

I have the same problem with red eyes especially in any kind of fluorescent lighting. When I go to the mall I do wear tinted glasses to hide the problem. And my eyes also feel much better at home then anywhere else. It's like as soon as I get in the car to go somewhere they start to feel drier then when I was at home.
      I do have MGD with Posterior Blepharitis which I have pretty much under control at the moment with the help of a new doctor I've been seeing. He was surprised though that my redness has continued and we are trying 100mg Doxy twice daily and Bepreve drops for allergies. I feel like I've tried everything you could possibly try to solve the redness problem without any answers. And I do worry about the BAK preservative in the drops and that I may have any allergic reaction to them.

Comment

Originally posted by behinddryeyes View Post
        I have suffered from red eyes and dry eyes for several years now. My eyes are not that bad when I am home, but they get considerably drier, more red, and sting when I am at work. I work under flourescent lights and feel as though that is the culprit. I just started Restasis about 3 weeks ago. I have plugs in the bottom. I have allergies and have taken shots for almost 3 years. I have become really self-conscious about how my eyes look. I have big eyes and I think part of the issue is that more of my eyes are exposed than some people's. Anyway, I am just curious about how many of you have an increased severity of symptoms in certain lighting and how you deal with that when it is your place of employment! I wear contacts, and do not really want to wear obviously tinted glasses, but have considered a light tint. I have read about allergies to flourescent lights, but I do not really understand that. I love my job, but wish it did not cause my eyes so many fits!
        Do you wear prescription glasses, or non-prescription....may have a suggestion for you.

Comment

I normally wear Accuvue Oasis contacts....my eyes seem drier when I wear my prescription glasses. I have put lamps in my classroom and I keep the overhead lights off during the day and that seems to be helping some. It is hard to avoid flourescent lights though!

Comment

Working...
          X