Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll to find the root cause of MGD/DES/ETC (non lasik ppl)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll to find the root cause of MGD/DES/ETC (non lasik ppl)

This is a poll to look at some of the root causes of MGD DES- if your problem started after lasik or some eye surgery this poll does not include you.
    skin problem on the face (rash/bad acne etc)
    29.63%
    lots of focusing of vision on something for many hours (lack of blinking)
    14.81%
    subjected to harsh elements with no eye protection for long periods
    7.41%
    Had many styes/ chalazions or severe cases of these within 3 yrs
    14.81%
    was subjected to strong chemical odors/fumes a lot- eg. self tan lotion
    3.70%
    Went through a lot of physical or mental stress or sickness
    22.22%
    none of the above could EVER happened to me within a year of my problems
    7.41%

Excellent idea Socratese! My dry eye developed while I was a field archaeologist, so I was working outside in all conditions from wet, windy and muddy to dry and very dusty. I also spent a lot of time in cabins with gas heaters, working on dusty artefacts and samples. This work was interspersed with creating highly detailed drawings on a small computer screen...I think all contributed significantly to my DE, MGD and bleph. That and who knows what was in the soil I was digging through! Archaeologically speaking, rubbish pits are the most interesting...but they often require a strong stomach and definitely strong eyes!

It'll be really interesting to see how the poll progresses.
    The eye altering, alters all - William Blake

Comment

I was experiencing all of these except one when I got my eye problem. Extreme amounts of stress my whole life actually. I'd say as a child until 23 i went through tremendous amounts of stress and sometimes trauma mentally. But you have a lot of ppl who go through the same thing but never get MGD.

Like dr yee told me- i must have had a pre-disposition to this disease to begin with, it just takes a trigger.

Comment

Neurosurgery, and EBMD (corneal dystrophy) worsened dry eye

None of the listed reasons in the poll applied to me. Has anyone here had dry eye exacerbated by EBMD or neurosurgery for trigeminal neuralgia?

I think this poll is an excellent idea

Comment

From what I have studied and gathered, these are some of the things that I suspect might be the most common POSSIBLe causes, things that gives you a higher risk, or may cause to be worse. Most seem to be pretty confident eye surgery that involves the cornea or near the cornea are obvious initiators of the disease. i guess another good poll would be to find out if people who underwent surgery that involved the cornea or surrounding nerves had any of these options that could have made them vulnerable to MGD before they had lasik or surgery.

Comment

Well my eye pain,dry eye,and bleph started 6 months after dx of peripheral neuropathy and rsd in my legs at 28. Before that I never had eye problems. I also developed seborehic dermititis and before that I never had skin problems. I have a lot of symptoms that go with auto immune conditions but all of my tests for that have been negative.

Comment

I think the number citing skin problems is very interesting. I have very sensitive skin, but I had no skin issues as such prior to developing DES so I'm suprised by the percentage of people who did.

Again, an excellent idea for a poll Socratese!
              The eye altering, alters all - William Blake

Comment

MGD started with an INFECTION.

Comment

Working...
                X