Hi, from Washington state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, from Washington state

Hello all, so glad to find this site. My saga really started about 2 yrs. Ago although I didn't know it at the time. I had surgery to open occluded punctums. I have probably had dry eyes for some time, but didn't recognize th symptoms, now I have severe dry eyes, the opthamologist that I saw, has told me to go back to the surgeon as after putting me on Lotemax and restasis he said there is nothing more he could do, he did place plugs in my upper punctum, but said he cannot plug the lowers, as they are too large. I felt as though I was getting better, but have now regressed, and I am getting frustrated I will be seeing the surgeon in two days. Hoping and praying he will offer me some help. I would love to hear from anyone just to share, I have so many questions. I will check out the posts.

DES Stymied Photographer

Hi, and I'm glad you found this website. There's tons of information here, experiences of others with DES, reviews of eyewear for dry eye, descriptions of different eye hygiene regimens, and veterans and moderators who can steer you in the right direction when you're unsure, frustrated, or at a dead-end.

I have found this to be a wonderfully informative and supportive website.

My story is already in the "dry eye stories" forum. Briefly, I have DES, EBMD, and RCEs. I also have some other problems brought about by a botched neurosurgery to the trigeminal nerve. I am using Muro 128 drops and ointment, Genteal drops, and warm compresses. I have 1 plug in the lower punctum of my l. eye, with some improvement. My corneal edema is now under control after 5 1/2 months on the above regimen. I will be using the onyx "night goggles" - forgot what they're called - as my eyes dry out even more over night because I have to use a bi-pap machine for sleep apnea. Both eyes are horribly sensitive to light, and wind no matter how slight.

That's probably plenty more than you wanted to learn about now - but just trying to give you an idea of some of the things I've tried, and stuff I deal with.

Be well,

Maria

Comment

Hi Marie, thank you for the quick reply, I'm not sure what all the initials stand for but I will learn, I know DES, and RCE....I know that the bipap must really be drying, I work in a hospital and have a lot of patients on it. I'm struggling with finding the right drops right now, I was using the genteal gel, but for some reason now it kills me to put it in, pain and awful burning. So just using the drops again, having to put them in so often. I am so dry, I can't even produce tears when I cry.

Comment

Mawsky, welcome... I'm in WA too.

Originally posted by Mawsky View Post
        I'm struggling with finding the right drops right now, I was using the genteal gel, but for some reason now it kills me to put it in, pain and awful burning. So just using the drops again, having to put them in so often. I am so dry, I can't even produce tears when I cry.
        It's tough to have severe dry eye in a hospital environment. If possible I'd suggest looking into good moisture chamber glasses as a matter of priority. Regarding drops, is it just an initial sting or does it last a long time? If just initial, try buffering the effect by putting a little Unisol 4 (unpreserved saline) in your eyes about 5 minutes before. If it's lasting I'd be concerned about sensitivity or allergy to an ingredient maybe. I think there are a lot of people who can't tolerate some of the common polymers in these types of drops. If you have a good doctor you might want to start looking into autologous serum drops.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Hi, so far I've just been using restasis, and mostly Thera tears, they seem to be non irritating, the restasis does burn but after flushing, they feel better, not real sure what the surgeon will say, I live a bit far from larger cities, think maybe I should find another opthamalogist. The gel hurt so bad I'm afraid to try it, it is an initial burning, quite bad like I have soap in my eye, sadly even with that intense burning, I don't think I produce any tears, what's weird is it only burns one eye much more than other. I am beginning to wonder more about allergies I had bought a new eyeliner prior to the initial episode, after I began to improve, I used it again, now i'suffering again, so dry, needing to put drops in at least every ten minutes, very frustrating, can't even shop without stopping a lot to redrop. Getting a bit depressed, watched a sad movie last night and became upset that I couldn't squeeze out one tear

Comment

Originally posted by Mawsky View Post
            now i'suffering again, so dry, needing to put drops in at least every ten minutes, very frustrating, can't even shop without stopping a lot to redrop.
            I totally understand the need to do that but at the same time it is not good for you at all to be putting stuff in the eyes that frequently. Just going to repeat... eyewear could be your best friend here at least in the short term.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Welcome! You might give Systane Balance a try. These drops are expensive. My eye doc has $2 coupons. You might ask yours. Good luck!
              Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Working...
              X