Frustrated new member with dry eyes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated new member with dry eyes!

I am a new member and have been dealing with severely dry eyes for 6 years now. I have been to so many doctors, tried Restasis, I have plugs in my lower tear ducts, I increased flaxseed and efs intake, I spend a fortune on 10 different kinds of over the counter eye drops (systane, refresh, optive, similasan, etc, etc) and nothing seems to help. I have had the tests which test for tear production and they show that I have no natural tears being produced in my eyes. I used to be able to wear contacts everyday, then switched to dailies and could only wear them for a couple of hours (with contact eye drops) and now hardly at all. Now after a few minutes, the contacts feel like they are sticking to my eyes and they get blurry. I also use eye ointment every night before sleeping otherwise I wake up and my eyes feel like sandpaper. I still have to use eye drops during the middle of the night and in the morning. My eyes always feel tired. Can anyone relate to this level of severity of discomfort in their eyes? I have heard that with age, eyes can get drier but I am only in my thirties. I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone may have to offer!

Hi Camila -

I just wanted to say that I can completely relate - your story is very much like mine. I'm now almost 44 but my problems started when I was 36. I can't offer any solutions since I haven't found any myself. All I can say is this board is a great support. You're definitely not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Camila View Post
      I am a new member and have been dealing with severely dry eyes for 6 years now. I have been to so many doctors, tried Restasis, I have plugs in my lower tear ducts, I increased flaxseed and efs intake, I spend a fortune on 10 different kinds of over the counter eye drops (systane, refresh, optive, similasan, etc, etc) and nothing seems to help. I have had the tests which test for tear production and they show that I have no natural tears being produced in my eyes. I used to be able to wear contacts everyday, then switched to dailies and could only wear them for a couple of hours (with contact eye drops) and now hardly at all. Now after a few minutes, the contacts feel like they are sticking to my eyes and they get blurry. I also use eye ointment every night before sleeping otherwise I wake up and my eyes feel like sandpaper. I still have to use eye drops during the middle of the night and in the morning. My eyes always feel tired. Can anyone relate to this level of severity of discomfort in their eyes? I have heard that with age, eyes can get drier but I am only in my thirties. I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone may have to offer!
      you are like me. I used to wear contact too and I am 33. Life is so hard with dry eye that i do not want to live it. did u get tested for auto immune? allergeys? do u have mgd? is contact the reason for ur dryness? ask ur doc for the upper plug that could help too.

Comment

Thanks guys for letting me know I am not the only person!! I wish we had solutions.

Comment

Camilla, I really feel for you. It is miserable trying to find out what's going on with our eyes.

I agree it would be good to try to determine what is causing it so you can see if that gives some treatment options....
          just keep swimming...

Comment

Camilla, have you had a hormone panel done to check for any chronic imbalances between your hormones such as estrogen, testosterone and progesterone?

For women - and men too - this becomes critical once you get into your mid 30s and older.
            Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by jads View Post
              Camilla, have you had a hormone panel done to check for any chronic imbalances between your hormones such as estrogen, testosterone and progesterone?

For women - and men too - this becomes critical once you get into your mid 30s and older.
              Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the suggestion... I have not tried that yet but am only 31. I will keep that in mind thought since I would love to find an answer as to why my eyes feel so dry! Thank u for your response!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanza View Post
                Camilla, I really feel for you. It is miserable trying to find out what's going on with our eyes.

I agree it would be good to try to determine what is causing it so you can see if that gives some treatment options....
                Thanks Stanza! =)

Comment

Originally posted by Camila View Post
                  Hi Jamie,

I have not tried that yet but am only 31.
                  Camilla, hormone deficiencies don't discriminate for age Many people are affected by hormonal issues in their 20s, only they never know it. This is very very common, for example, with Thyroid complaints. Underactive thyroid is almost an epidemic these days!

My best advice is not to wait until you are 35. If you have chronic dry eyes, unrelated to Lasik surgery or an infection there is an underlying reason or cause - and it is more than likely to do with your hormones.

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/entry...out-of-balance

Best
                  Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by jads View Post
                    Camilla, hormone deficiencies don't discriminate for age Many people are affected by hormonal issues in their 20s, only they never know it. This is very very common, for example, with Thyroid complaints. Underactive thyroid is almost an epidemic these days!

My best advice is not to wait until you are 35. If you have chronic dry eyes, unrelated to Lasik surgery or an infection there is an underlying reason or cause - and it is more than likely to do with your hormones.

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/entry...out-of-balance

Best
                    Thanks Jamie, anything is worth a try! Thank you for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                    X