No announcement yet.

lacriserts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose (Ophthalmic)

The active ingredient in Lacriserts is Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose. From what I have read, many people are allergic to this. The following drops all contain this ingredient, so maybe a trial of one of the OTC counterparts might be in order before investing time and expense in the RX? Might the allergy issue be why this product is not more popular?

Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose Opthalmic

Brand NamesReturn to top

In the U.S.—

* Artificial Tears
    * Bion Tears
    * Gonak
    * Goniosoft
    * Goniosol
    * Isopto Alkaline
    * Isopto Plain
    * Isopto Tears
    * Just Tears
    * Lacril

* Moisture Drops
    * Nature's Tears
    * Ocucoat
    * Ocucoat PF
    * Tearisol
    * Tears Naturale
    * Tears Naturale II
    * Tears Naturale Free
    * Tears Renewed
    * Ultra Tears

In Canada—

* Eyelube
    * Isopto Tears
    * Methocel
    * Moisture Drops

* Ocutears
    * Tears Naturale
    * Tears Naturale II
    * Tears Naturale Free
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Can't remember if I posted it or not ... too lazy to look.

In addition to Kitty's post, here's the actual Lacrisert Prescribing Information chock full of info...

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_...rt_uspc_pi.pdf

Here's the Bad and the Ugly as Merck sees it:

ADVERSE REACTIONS
      The following adverse reactions have been reported in patients treated with LACRISERT, but
      were in most instances mild and transient:
      Transient blurring of vision (See PRECAUTIONS)
      Ocular discomfort or irritation
      Matting or stickiness of eyelashes
      Photophobia
      Hypersensitivity
      Edema of the eyelids
      Hyperemia

Comment

Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose is also the active ingredient in the Genteal product line, including the gel.

There is an excellent reference sheet over at agingeye.net listing all lubricants grouped by their active ingredients.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

AKA Hypromellose

Correct. The other name for the same thing is Hypromellose.
          Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Hi Faithhope,

I see your dry eye is from lasik. Do you have more problems with evaporative dry eye (low TBUT) or just with lack of tears (low schirmers), or maybe both? I guess I'm trying to figure out exactly what type of dry eye the lacriserts might help. I might ask my doctor about them next week just to see what she thinks.

Also, just curious, when was your surgery, and did you see any improvements in your dryness at all afterward? At what point? Is any of your relief from your eyes actually healing, or is it mostly just coming from the lacriserts? My dry eye is due to lasik (11 months ago), so I'm just curoius to hear others experiences. Anyway, I'm VERY happy to see that you have found something to keep you comfortable! Thanks!

-Shells

Comment

Originally posted by shells
              Hi Faithhope,

I see your dry eye is from lasik. Do you have more problems with evaporative dry eye (low TBUT) or just with lack of tears (low schirmers), or maybe both? I guess I'm trying to figure out exactly what type of dry eye the lacriserts might help.
              Both, Shelley.

Lacriserts provide more tears AND they "thicken the precorneal tear film," thus reducing the evaporation rate.

CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY
              Pharmacodynamics
              LACRISERT acts to stabilize and thicken the precorneal tear film and prolong the tear film
              breakup time which is usually accelerated in patients with dry eye states. LACRISERT also acts to
              lubricate and protect the eye.
              LACRISERT usually reduces the signs and symptoms resulting from moderate to severe dry
              eye syndromes, such as conjunctival hyperemia, corneal and conjunctival staining with rose
              bengal, exudation, itching, burning, foreign body sensation, smarting, photophobia, dryness and
              blurred or cloudy vision. Progressive visual deterioration which occurs in some patients may be
              retarded, halted, or sometimes reversed.
              In a multicenter crossover study the 5 mg LACRISERT administered once a day during the
              waking hours was compared to artificial tears used four or more times daily. There was a prolongation of tear film breakup time and a decrease in foreign body sensation associated with
              dry eye syndrome in patients during treatment with inserts as compared to artificial tears; these
              findings were statistically significantly different between the treatment groups. Improvement, as
              measured by amelioration of symptoms, by slit lamp examination and by rose bengal staining of
              the cornea and conjunctiva, was greater in most patients with moderate to severe symptoms
              during treatment with LACRISERT. Patient comfort was usually better with LACRISERT than with
              artificial tears solution, and most patients preferred LACRISERT.
              In most patients treated with LACRISERT for over one year, improvement was observed as
              evidenced by amelioration of symptoms generally associated with keratoconjunctivitis sicca such
              as burning, tearing, foreign body sensation, itching, photophobia and blurred or cloudy vision.
              During studies in healthy volunteers, a thickened precorneal tear film was usually observed
              through the slit-lamp while LACRISERT was present in the conjunctival sac.

Comment

Who makes them? Arent they quite hard to get hold of?

Comment

They are made by Merck and require a prescription. If you want to try them I'd suggest you print out the manufacturer's product information sheet (click here to download) and take it to your doctor.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris
                    They are made by Merck and require a prescription. If you want to try them I'd suggest you print out the manufacturer's product information sheet (click here to download) and take it to your doctor.
                    I'm reminded of a great exchange from the old (dating myself...) TV series, M*A*S*H

"Be persuasive."
                    "Be persistent."
                    "Use force!"

Doc's and pharmacists seem notorious for saying that they've never heard of it or can't get it. Work past that. Use the above methods. It worked for me

Comment

Cost of Lacrisert

I checked my Rx plan and note that Lacrisert is a Tier 2. The price quote I have for a one month supply (60 packs) is $53.29. I'm sure prices may vary. My co-pay is $20. I'm willing to spend $20 to give it a try. I will be interested to hear what my eye doc thinks of Lacrisert. I will ask him on Wednesday. I will share anything earth-shattering of course!

Comment

Lacriserts

Hi Shells,

I have both low TBUT and low schirmers. My surgery was in 2002. I had no improvement in my dryness after my surgery. I do not feel that I have had any healing since my surgery. I do not think that the lacriserts will heal my eyes, just give me daily relief. Lacriserts have most definitely helped me with my anxiety and depression by keeping my mind from obsessing about my eyes.

Give Lacriserts a try and let me know what you think...

Comment

Revised POA re Lacriserts....

Originally posted by kitty
                          I checked my Rx plan and note that Lacrisert is a Tier 2. The price quote I have for a one month supply (60 packs) is $53.29. I'm sure prices may vary. My co-pay is $20. I'm willing to spend $20 to give it a try. I will be interested to hear what my eye doc thinks of Lacrisert. I will ask him on Wednesday. I will share anything earth-shattering of course!
                          Today is a lovely day. I just learned that my drug plan will no longer cover Lacrisert after 6/1/06, and my Restasis is going to Tier 3 ($50 co-pay) on that date. I can't afford to do both, so if I am to continue Restasis, I will be forgoing the Lacrisert for now. Maybe when I win the lottery I can afford to maximally treat my DES.

Comment

lacriserts

I go my prescription for Lacriserts yesterday. (from my Opthamologist!!!)
                            I picked them up today. About $50. It didn't seem to be a problem for my pharmacist to get them. So, do you continue the Restasis along with the Lacriserts? I have been using Restasis for over a year now and I can't really say that they have helped all that much. the reason I am still using them is because I had so many free samples. Tomorrow I start the Lacriserts. But if they don't work, I will be okay with that. The Dwelle drops that I started last week are doing wonders for me. (And they are a lot cheaper than the Lacriserts)

Comment

Kitty, can you try and get Lacriserts BEFORE June 1 so you'd have a supply to try at your leisure? That's what I'd do.

As for Restasis, it did not seem to be helping me at 7 months and my RX copay went to 50% for it. I just stopped because I couldn't afford to take it any more.
                              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I thought about it Lucy, but I fear if I get Lacrisert and like it, then I will be all the more disappointed when I cannot afford to continue it. I may still ask my doc what he thinks about Lacrisert when I see him tomorrow. Much depends on whether or not I am to continue Restasis. The Restasis $50 co-pay is about 40%, and that is a bit much. I can certainly understand how you would not want to continue if it was not helping you and having to pay 50%. It might be different if I thought it was helping and did not drive me nuts for an hour or more after I put it in. I'm starting to understand how the poor elderly people feel about having to make decisions between buying meds vs. other necessities. I guess I should not complain so much, it could be worse.
                                Last edited by kitty; 23-May-2006, 20:05. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Working...
                                X