Ready to give up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready to give up...

I'm actually considering have my right eye removed but figured I would post to this group just in case someone knew of something I haven't tried. I have MGD in my rt eye. It is always dry, scratchy, inflamed, very red inner lid, poor vision, burning and driving me to tears. I've had it for two years and it just keeps getting worse. What I've tried:
    Lotemax, Prednisolone, Tobradex, Restasis, Azasite. All but the prednisolone seem to make it worse. I'm a steroid responder so can't use the pred.

Was also on Doxy for 3 months.

Use plugs, hot compresses 4 X daily, fish oil capsules, erythromycin ointment and Refresh Optive. It's the only eyedrop that doesn't make my eyes worse, but it doesn't help but for about 5 minutes. Most anything i put in my eye makes it more inflamed. I've seen 5 eye doctors, including one in Boston. None have helped.

I've contemplated eye removal but the doctors just tell me that's extreme. They just don't seem to understand. How do people cope with this?

Have you tried serum drops? http://orlebo.org/2011_Jan_all.pdf

Comment

I've asked all of my doctors about them and they say that they don't do that. I've contacted labs and they've never heard of it.

Comment

for serum drops make an appt with Dr. Dana in Boston at Meei. They make them there. Have you tried plugs as well

Comment

Yes I have plugs in my eye. The biggest problem is the burning. The inside of my lower lids are inflamed and red. Very swollen. All of the doctors have told me that they don't know what is causing the inflammation. When I wake up in the morning they are good for about 10 minutes and then they start burning again. I read about the cold packs today. Maybe I will try that. I am always putting heat on them to soften the lipids so cold seems contraindicated but it does make sense that heat would contribute to an inflammatory condition. I was referred to Dr Raizman in Boston but he didn't help me much at all. I get discouraged because I drive for 2 1/2 hours just to be seen for 2 minutes. Can I expect more from Dr. Dana. I've read reviews from people who didn't have very positive experiences. Has anyone here had success with him?

Comment

I have the same problem as you. No eye drops have helped me, either, for more than 5 minutes or so. From what I understand about MGD (in a nutshell) is there's excess oil on and around the eyes and eyelids which causes the oil glands in the eyes to become clogged, which builds up crusty stuff around the lids and causes the eyes to have less oil ON the eyeball itself, which makes the eyes feel dry. So, too much oil makes the eyes dry. Weird, huh?

I'm not an expert but I'll tell you what I've been doing to get some relief. Hopefully it may help you, too.

First, I started using Dawn dish soap to cleanse my eyelids and face. Dawn's catchphrase used to be "Dawn Gets Grease Out of Your Way." It was 97 cents at Walmart. Make sure to get the original, non-concentrated classic Dawn that says "Powers Away Grease!" on it. Look on the bottom shelf. It's blue. I put a drop of the Dawn on a Johnson's Cotton Round (usually used to remove makeup) that is wet, not dripping, with warm water. Then I gently clean one eyelid and lash area with it. Be careful not to get the soap IN your eye. I repeat this with a 2nd cotton round for the other eye. I use a 3rd one for the rest of my face.

The excess oil on the eyelids is a breeding ground for bacteria. I use a clean cotton ball and put hydrogen-peroxide on it, then gently dab it on all over one eyelid to kill the bacteria. I use another cotton ball for the 2nd eyelid, and a 3rd for the rest of my face. Again, don't get any hydrogen-peroxide in your eyes.

My eyelids were irritated and sore, so I applied Neosporin on them afterwards to help them heal.

I also take Bilberry, Evening Primrose Oil, and Omega-3 oil pill supplements. They have helped my eyes feel less dry, also.

Everything I have listed here is available at Walmart. I'm sure any store with a pharmacy would have the stuff.

I sincerely hope you get some relief soon, whether you try this or not. You sound miserable.

Comment

Working...
            X