Owch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owch!

Glad I found this site. Need advice from experienced folks. I've been told I have Epithelial Basement Dystrophy. Two out of 3 doctors didn't find it. #3 says it's there and is treating with Sodium Chloride drops called Muro 5%. Painful symptoms started 3 months ago but I've been blurry for about 6 months. He says this is re-occurring and if it gets "bad enough" they can scrape the eye. But he says sometimes that can make things worse! I'm in another painful episode and I need relief. But I'm not thrilled about having my eye "scraped". Has anybody done this? Successful? Sorry?

I had upper and lower Blepharoplasty in October but I don't think this has anything to do with it.....ya think?

Hi Jojo. Quite a few folks have EBMD on this bb, including me. I found out I had this after lasik surgery 6 years ago and continuing problems with dry eyes and corneal erosions.

I have not had my eye scraped, but was close to it a few years ago. I decided I didn't like that idea and said "no thanks." Muro is probably a good treatment for this and it's what my docs have told me to use. Most important to keep your eyes moist and use artificial tears. You may need to try punctal plugs. Have your docs suggested that? That may help your tear film stabalize and "control" the EBMD.

had upper and lower Blepharoplasty in October but I don't think this has anything to do with it.....ya think?
    I do not know whether or not this had anything to do with it. Possibly the surgery made your eyes dry for a period of time and brought the EBMD to your notice. I'm not sure if I had EBMD before lasik or not. It only matters to try and keep it from getting worse.

By golly, I'd try and treat it with topical means rather than the debridement. That's just my personal opinion. There is a wealth of info on this bb about dry eyes and taking care of them. Good luck. Lucy

PS. I forgot if you use Muro drops or ointment. The ointment is best, I think and the drops burn like heck. I don't think it makes a big difference what percentage you have. It's expensive at any rate.
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thanks for the info and response. I don't know what "plugs" are. My doc didn't suggest this. Am I to expect this condition to heal.....or is it going to be a on and off again thing forever?

Comment

Go here for more information on dry eyes and treatment.
        It explains punctal plugs.

http://www.dryeyezone.com/encyclopedia/plugs.html

From my previous post. The information is here, but you need to look around a bit.

By golly, I'd try and treat it with topical means rather than the debridement. That's just my personal opinion. There is a wealth of info on this bb about dry eyes and taking care of them. Good luck. Lucy
        Also, no one can tell you how long "it'll last." Even doctors. The sooner you start to treat it, the sooner you may get it under control. You do need to keep up with your eye doctors and do what they tell you-to a point. Personally, I'd stop at the debridement.
        Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 24-Oct-2006, 12:30. Reason: I updated the punctal plug link because the page location changed

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Debridement

JoJo,
          I underwent a successful debridement in February at the Mayo Clinic. My scar tissue was from many years of contact lens wear. The affected epithelium was in a place that was not causing vision problems. It does allow regeneration of healthy tissue.

Comment

Blepharoplasty MGD Complications?

Originally posted by Jojo
            I had upper and lower Blepharoplasty in October but I don't think this has anything to do with it.....ya think?
            Has anyone had blepharoplasty surgery, particularly for under eye bags and had complications from scar tissue and meibomitis gland dysfunction?

I'm only asking out of curiosity; I cannot afford cosmetic surgery unless my doctor worked out a very extended payment plan (unlikely) but I have ALWAYS been very self-concious about the bags and swelling under my eyes. But it seems like if they did an incision inside the lower lid that there might be scar tissue complications with the meibomian glands and maybe make it worse.

Not being able to wear eye makeup makes me even more self-concious about my appearance. I've gotten to the point I only go to church and I have elderly family I have to drive places but I just stay in the car and wait. I am now thankful that I have to wear glasses. I wear transition lens progressive bifocals and have small cataracts. I am 50 years old but I don't feel 50.
            I recently cut "bangs/fringes" in the front of my long hair, hoping to "hide behind them". I'm not sure if I did the right thing or not. The transition lenses help hide my eyes a little.

Sorry this is so long-winded and it sounds so trivial. There is some improvement in my MGD since starting compresses, drops, saline rinses, and leaving off make-up, but still a lot of pain at times and blurred vision.

Thanks for letting me post. I am really depressed but trying hard not to be. I know so many more people have it much worse than I do and I feel guilty complaining.

CarolynYvonne

Comment

I wear transition lens progressive bifocals and have small cataracts. I am 50 years old but I don't feel 50.
              Carolyn, think nothing of "talking this out" on the bb. Better here before than after (problems). You are 50, don't feel 50, and probably don't look 50. Whatever 50 is supposed to look like now? Kristie Brinkley? Katie Kouric is coming up on 50. Don't get hung up on looking 50, because this is a moving target. Goldie Hawn is 60+ now. Very possibly they have had help, can't tell. Don't care.

Whatever 50 is, your eyes ARE 50 and you said you have CATARACTS. Fact.
              Wearing transition glasses with progressive bifocals are probably the perfect solution for you. I am over 50 and had lasik, but still need glasses and feel naked without them. I sometimes have to wear hard contact lens and then I even wear some sort of glasses over them.

Not sure what your problem is, I haven't read other posts. I have dry eyes and other eye problems and since having a poor lasik outcome, I wouldn't let anyone go near my eyes/eyelids for vanity any more than I'd walk off a cliff. What if.......you have the surgery and find out it ruins your meibomian glands? Talk to us here, save your money for something else. Besides, your eyes will start forming new wrinkles or bags (as you call them) as soon as the surgery is over. Time marches on for all of us. One more thing....I'm seeing where people with dry eye issues had permanent eyeliner tatooed on. It's causing problems. Who would have thought? I would like that as my lashes are gone, but chance more problems, No way.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

A good post

Originally posted by Lucy
                Carolyn, think nothing of "talking this out" on the bb. Better here before than after (problems). You are 50, don't feel 50, and probably don't look 50. Whatever 50 is supposed to look like now? Kristie Brinkley? Katie Kouric is coming up on 50. Don't get hung up on looking 50, because this is a moving target. Goldie Hawn is 60+ now. Very possibly they have had help, can't tell. Don't care.

Whatever 50 is, your eyes ARE 50 and you said you have CATARACTS. Fact.
                Wearing transition glasses with progressive bifocals are probably the perfect solution for you. I am over 50 and had lasik, but still need glasses and feel naked without them. I sometimes have to wear hard contact lens and then I even wear some sort of glasses over them.

Not sure what your problem is, I haven't read other posts. I have dry eyes and other eye problems and since having a poor lasik outcome, I wouldn't let anyone go near my eyes/eyelids for vanity any more than I'd walk off a cliff. What if.......you have the surgery and find out it ruins your meibomian glands? Talk to us here, save your money for something else. Besides, your eyes will start forming new wrinkles or bags (as you call them) as soon as the surgery is over. Time marches on for all of us. One more thing....I'm seeing where people with dry eye issues had permanent eyeliner tatooed on. It's causing problems. Who would have thought? I would like that as my lashes are gone, but chance more problems, No way.
                Dear Lucy,
                Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me. I have newly diagnosed MGD that has gotten much worse in the last year.

I am definately taking your advice about avoiding cosmetic surgery. I'll just have to get over some insecurities about my looks and get on with life and focus on other people. That is what I see so many of you doing: you reach out to others who are hurting. Thank you for that.

I hope I can become like that.

I've read a lot of your posts and they are truly inspiring.

CarolynYvonne

Comment

plugs

Originally posted by Jojo
                  Thanks for the info and response. I don't know what "plugs" are. My doc didn't suggest this. Am I to expect this condition to heal.....or is it going to be a on and off again thing forever?
                  Plogs are a simple procedure in which they place a plug into the duc at he corner of your eye. I have had this done to both eye, along with scrapings, micropunctures and lasic procedures. All of these are steps in order to get your eyes undercontrol from errosions. Merro ointment at night works for most people also.

Comment

AMBD........I must say and I will not expect others to follow this advice, but I have had to resort to it for so long.........Muro ointment is what I use when I'm at my worst. After lasik 7 years ago, I was told by my doctor that "I could use it forever." I know this does not SOLVE my problem, or even that it's a good thing to do. But, when you are in dire straits...........

I would not allow my doc to do debridement on me a year or so after lasik. Whether it was right or wrong doesn't make a difference now. It may have "cured" me? I doubt it. In other cases, it MAY be the thing to do. If my eyes are painful and I'm at the end of my rope, the Muro ointment comes out. Sometimes at 4 x a day. I have Boston Scleral Lens which is a whole other book, and I find it impossible to even think about wearing them when I've been using Muro ointment. Sometimes Muro ointment is the only thing that keeps me from pulling my eyeballs out of their socket. This is my personal experience only. I use, in addition, drops at least every hour etc. etc. blah, blah.

I now know I have Sjogrens and doing debridement on me may have not had the desired result.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                    X