Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dry eyes after eye infection, lasik, and Iraq deployment

Hi!

I've been coming to this board for a couple years now and am just finally registering. It's been a lot of help to me. I'm a 26 year old female with dry eyes for the past 3-4 years.

It started with an eye infection while camping in March 2007--after that I couldn't wear contacts anymore, but other than that it wasn't much of a problem. My doctor convinced me to get Lasik in December 2007 and afterwards my eyes were fine, only a little dry. Then I got deployed in 2008-2009, and started getting more eye infections and dryness and pain. I attributed it all to the lack of sleep, cleanliness, and terrible climate and dust storms of iraq, not to mention working behind the engines of c130s. But now I'm home, have been for two years, and still have pain, even worse than before if possible.

I've tried lots of things-dietary changes, omega 3, drinking water, restasis, plugs, all kinds of drops, doxycycline, steriod drops, allergy drops/pills. Nothing has helped much and recently I've backed off of using most of it. Now I'm trying warm compresses and massage and healthy living.

Otherwise I'm pretty healthy--I work out often, eat very healthy, don't smoke, and have backed off drinking. I'm just hoping for some relief. My eyes burn constantly and they are very, very tired and achy. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, I'd love to hear them. So far my doctors have been unhelpful, I've seen several over the years and no one will give me a clear diagnosis.

I had LASIK first and then a very serious post-surgical infection. Both can trigger inflammation. And once the eyes are inflamed and the inflammatory cycle begins, it is difficult to manage. With the increased sensitivity to environmental factors, it is difficult to treat as there are more and more triggers and it is difficult to identify them all, including potential inflammatory reactions to any and all the medications and drops you are using.

My doctor did not to a lab test at the time I had the original infection. He treated it with antibiotics (4 different times, I might add) assuming it was a bacterial infection. I have since learned that he should have sent a sample to the lab to determine just what type of infection I had. Viral? Bacterial? Fungal? Allergic? Inflammatory?

Is it possible there is still an infection? Fungal? Viral? Something you picked up in the desert? A new infection?

Is it possible that the inflammation is making your eyes particularly sensitive to environmental (allergic?) triggers?

Maybe you need a new doctor who can answer all these questions?

For my two cents, I would suggest using cold compresses rather than warm (or in addition to the warm if you get relief from the warm). Cold compresses can reduce inflammation and often reduce the pain. And for me, the reduced inflammation often stimulates tears.

Scout

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

To answer your questions...I'm not sure about anything Several doctors have told me that my eyes look inflamed. One or two said it looked like allergies, the others said they just looked irritated. I don't have itchiness so I'm not sure.

I haven't had an eye infection--or at least, I haven't had pink eye--in many months almost a year I think, possibly because I have been more careful about cleanliness. Still, my eyes burn and are irritated morning till night.

How would I go about getting a doctor to test the mucus in my eyes? I haven't had much luck with doctors. The last one I went to was awful and I left crying. I was trying to ask her questions about my eyes and about eye health in general. There is so much I don't know and understand. She walked away as I was talking and refused to remove the plugs in my eyes (they aren't helping). All of this after she was an hour and a half late to my appointment. I guess she was too busy to help a paying customer!

PS just wanted to say thanks to Rebecca for this website!

Comment

Desi,

Whohoahoahaa you have plugs in your eyes that your doctor refuses to remove? Ok, time to find a new doctor.

I tried plugs and thought they were working but things quickly went downhill. Later on, I found out I had MGD or "meibomian gland dysfunction" and plugs can hinder in these situations, not help.

My suggestion, other than finding a new doc, would be to get a straight-up diagnosis. Is it MGD? Are you aqueous (water) deficient or oil deficient (oil deficiency is typically MGD). Then go from there. Wandering around, bumping into doctors and trying fixes doesn't do any good until you know exactly what you're dealing with.

Many people have LASIK and many do well. For those of us who do not there are most likely other contributing factors at play. Control the symptoms of those aggravating factors and most likely you will find the key to comfort.

Rose

Comment

I too have chronic dry eye after an infection. What frustrated me was that the doctors that I've been to have "never heard of anything like this happening." However, if you dig around this forum, you'll find others in a similar situation.

I understand that you've tried a lot of things. Restasis (going on 5 months) and fish oil have helped me. Hopefully the new Lipiflow system that was just approved by the FDA will also help. If I were you, I would look into that once it becomes more widespread...MGD is pretty easily diagnosed...if that's what you have.

Good luck!

Comment

Hi Desi,

Your story sounds incredibly similar to mine.

I had an eye infection when I was 20, and things weren't too bad for a while after I got rid of the infection, but for the past few years I've been suffering like crazy with dry eyes. I am now 24.

I've tried cyclosporine (restasis), doxycycline, fluorometholone, all sorts of eye drops as well.

The things I use today are:
            1. TheraTears preservative free
            2. Lacri-lube preservative free
            3. Azithromycine or Azasite
            4. Hot compresses
            5. Lid scrubs

These things give me some decent relief and I am now able to get through the day. The next thing I may try is LipiFlow, but it costs about $1500 which I cannot currently afford

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Comment

Desi, did anyone ever mention Meibomian Gland Dysfunction / Posterior Blepharitis? This is what I have and it is VERY hard to get rid of. If you are successful at getting rid of it, it takes several months of hard work. Good luck!

Comment

Yes, needless to say I am not seeing that doctor anymore. Which is unfortunate, because now I do not have a doctor

I was told I have "slight" MGD and was never given any other help/info/diagnosis other than that. I cannot see any bumps along the lid margin, although I did have a little clear bump on the lid a month ago. I am afraid I will not get diagnosed properly ever. I have been to so many doctors and they all say that I make plenty tears and that my eyes don't look that bad. Very frutrating

Comment

Working...
                X