Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronic red eye sufferer

Hello,

I've been suffering from some sort of chronic red eyes condition for a very long time now. I think it's a result of dry eyes. They are always red and often feel very strained. I don't really know when it started. I did have Lasik 15 years ago and before that I was on accutane for a couple of years. So maybe one of those resulted in my dry eyes issue. I probably have tried everything possible over the counter. I've spent some time a couple of years ago travelling back and forth to the Eye Center at John Hopkins, hoping they could help me. All they did was put me on drops, but it didn't resolve anything. What I do now is use Systane drop a lot and put gel ointment in my eyes at night before bedtime.

If it was only dry eyes alone then I think I could tolerate it and had/live a "normal" life. But it's the constant bloodshot that really bother me. People often look at me and tell me that I look really tired. Unfortunately I've let this condition totally control my life more or less. I pretty much stopped going out socially years ago because of this. I often can't stand seeing what's looking back at me when I pass a mirror, so I can't even imagine looking into someone eyes for a long period of time engaging in a conversation. Yes, I know I need to just "get over it" and live life because it's short and because I don't think my condition will ever be cured, but I really haven't been able to.

seems like Systane is not sufficient enough.

have you tried using Retasis, punctal plugs, TheraThears (Omega3)?

Comment

Also, maybe you have allergies that are contributing to the problem... might be worth looking into the possibility of food or environmental allergies... you never know... For me, changing my diet has improved my eye redness to the point where some days, my eyes looker whiter than they did even before LASIK (they're still dry, haven't cured that... but still, improving the redness is awesome!)

Anyhow, in my case, I'm still not sure if it's because I have a food allergy, or because I've eliminated some rosacea triggers from my diet... but still...

Comment

Wow, I had never heard that SAAG. Yet another good reason to try that diet...

except I am still not convinced I have rosacea.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedMyEyes View Post
          Wow, I had never heard that SAAG. Yet another good reason to try that diet...

except I am still not convinced I have rosacea.
          If you try it, be sure to post how it goes for you!

Comment

nitrodrops,

The eye center at John Hopkins put me on Retasis, but it didn't do anything for me. They said plug wasn't really going to be that effective either, so I didn't go that route.

SAAG,

Did you alter your diet with the aid of an allergist and/or nutritionist? How did you decide what to eliminate? I eat carrots and red vegetables alot, hoping the vitamin A from them will do something but to no avail.

[Removed note to user who requested his account be deleted]

Thanks for everyone for writing. I just had a weak moment when I posted this thread. Sometimes I just feel like if one more person tell me how red my eyes are and how tired I look, I'm just gonna scream.
            Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 21-Nov-2011, 16:20. Reason: reference to user whose account was deleted

Comment

Working...
            X