Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member...suggestions for upcoming app't w/ opthamologist

Hi everyone!

I am so glad I found this forum. Just briefly, I had what seemed to be dry eye for about a year approximately 6 years ago. I had the foreign body feeling almost all the time, some burning and my eyes felt gritty very often. The opthamologist I went to acted as if I was a complainer because he said my eyes "looked" fine. I do not recall tests being run and what he did was have me use tears and gave me a steroid drop, tho I don't recall the name. He gave zero information to me except to say it was probably an allergy or maybe dry eye. That was it, and I did not have a computer at the time and basically just took his word that it was nothing to worry about and nothing could be done about it.

For some reason, it seemed to go into remission after about a year and slowly started to return, tho in a mild way. Now, it's back with a vengeance, worse than the first time...foreign body feeling, burning, gritty and sometimes it seems my vision is somewhat off tho not sure if that has to do with the tears and the Alrex.

Visited a local optometrist two weeks ago. He said lipid layer was not sufficent and quick evaporation of tears. He also said he would categorize this as moderate DES. That is all the info I got, he did not do the 5 minute test that I read about here, Schirmer's?, and after I had two visits with him, I decided that I didn't trust him and have an app't scheduled for this Wednesday with an opthamologist, supposedly someone that is familiar with DES. The optometrist that I saw put me on tears and Alrex and fish oil capsules. He never mentioned anything regarding bleph, MGD, etc. And I only know of these things due to what I have learned from this forum.

I would love to have any suggestions regarding what I should mention to him (outside of my symptoms and history) or make a point of asking about regarding my treatment. I have learned a huge amount just reading this forum but I want to make sure that I leave no stone unturned, if possible. I am quite scared, to say the least, but I need answers and want to know what is wrong with me and how it can be managed. I hope I chose a good doctor!

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Neve

One thing I've found in my search for the right doctor for me is that some doctors are good about educating patients about what they have and others seem to feel that as long as you show up and do what they tell you, that's what matters. I'm the type of patient that *needs* to know what my situation is. Being in the dark doesn't help me mentally or physically (it's easier to stick to a regimen when I know why I'm doing it). If you find yourself with a doctor who doesn't give you the information you need, ASK. If the doctor won't be forthright with you and you're the type of patient who needs to know these things, keep searching.

You may need to give a doctor more than one try to get into the swing of things and to give him/her the opportunity to get a treatment plan going. You'll be worse off if you keep jumping around from doctor to doctor after 1 appointment because you'll never get a medical history going. I realized this when I started going to a friend of mine. He ended up referring me to someone else because he couldn't help me but his preserverance (sp) in trying to solve my problem made me realize that jumping around wasn't good for me either. Now what I do, is stick with one doctor as I'm searching for my new one. That way, I have someone monitoring my situation, keeping records, etc and when / if I find the right doctor for me, records can be transferred and he / she will have my history, etc.

Comment

Thank you for your advice. I am definitely someone that needs to know what is going on with me and wants to be as informed as possible about any treatment recommended. Staying up and obsessing is not helpful. Hopefully, this doc will be someone that can be forthcoming regarding my problem and my treatment plan.

I will certainly ask if it feels as though I am not getting all the info I need to feel comfortable. I agree that jumping around from doc to doc is not helpful; makes sense to stay with someone while searching, if necessary. Thank you!

Comment

If you haven't already you may want to look through some articles on this site like this one about getting the best possible care from your doctor.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you Rebecca - just finished reading this article and definitely helps to put things in perspective. Leaving soon for my app't and hoping for the best but not expecting any magic wands!

Comment

Working...
          X