Intro and Post-Lasik Dryness Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intro and Post-Lasik Dryness Issues

This is my first post so bear with me. I have strabismus (eyes do not work together) and that is a long story except to say that 5 surgeries were unsuccessful, most as a child. I had farsighted Lasik done in late April of this year (2011) so am 14 weeks post-op. I am in my late 40’s and my prescription was (R) +6.00 -2.75 and (L) +5.75 -2.75 so lots of farsightedness and astigmatism. Outcome was good, I have no measurable Rx remaining in my left eye and only some astigmatism (-.75) in the right. I had custom wavefront Lasik, no blades.

Complication is severe dry eye mostly in my left eye causing dramatic changes in vision from day to day. Last week (7/22) I was 20/15 in both eyes. My left vision goes from phenomenal when moist and feeling normal to 20/40 or “complete blowout” when dry. Other symptoms are burning and waking in the night to have to put in artificial tears. Strabismus makes this worse since the right eye can’t compensate and the left eye becomes unusable. Colorado is dry as a bone too which doesn’t help.

What I've tried: Refresh Plus and/or Systane every hour. Punctal plugs in both bottom ducts along with a flow controller plug in the left eye upper duct. I have had the vented flow controller removed when I thought I was over the hump due to excess tearing. Then, things went downhill and I had it put back in. I have 1 good left eye day out of every 4 on average. Some days tears run down my face, the next it is dry. Vision is fuzzy when dry and eye often drops into “near-sighted mode” where up close is clear and anything beyond 3 feet is blurry. When it is good, it is remarkable at all distances. Sometimes my tears feel like olive oil, other times like acid. Right eye vision is rarely off, just some burning sensation and it has been stable since 3 weeks post op.
    Restasis (60 day mark was Aug 2), Vornado humidifier at night, cold compresses (offers short term/5 min relief only), GenTeal PM gel at night. Systane every couple hours. Artificial tears are essentially useless. There is no correlation on “good days” with anything I’m doing, in other words, there is no treatment that “leads to a good day.”.

I have sought second opinions. One OD tried Azasite and Pred Forte, to no avail. A tear break-up test was done and my tear film breaks up ASAP with essentially no coverage. An Air Force opthamologist stated it will “take up to a year to heal back to normal tear production” and recommended Autologous Serum Tears. He claims all but one of his dozen or so patients report success with these. Today was the 16 vial blood draw. The original post-Lasik Dr recommended plugs and “ride it out” and thinks serum tears is “overkill” and not a long term solution.

So, here I am. Extremely frustrated and looking for a solution. Not to mention the quality of life and expense this is now causing. Good life days are now only related to good vision days. Any advice is appreciated. It seems like I’ve tried it all except serum tears.

Hi Mike,

Try to keep the faith... There are many of us who no longer come to the board that often because we have gotten our symptoms under control. I am 3.5 years post-LASIK and have found great relief this year through a combo of things (see my posts in the Triumphs forum). Recently a doctor added doxy for the MGD that I have and things have gotten even better.

My only suggestion would be to dumb down your routine to see what you can do without. Artificial tears stopped working for me and I ended up ditching them cold turkey because it was fruitless to even try, not to mention expensive as all hell! Restasis didn't really do much for me but I as it turns out, I do not have an aqueous problem, only an oil problem in my tears. Of course these are things that happened to me only but I can say that if you try too many things at once you'll never know what is working and what to keep in your regimen vs. what to ditch.

Have you found out exactly what your problem is (aside from the LASIK procedure)? Do you have MGD (or an oil or "quality" problem in your tears) or just no tears (an aqeuous or "quantity" problem)? Understanding which type of dry eye you have is key in the battle.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Rose

Comment

Welcome, Mike. I'm sorry to hear what you're going through.

Mind-blowing to me that anybody could have a good visual result from LASIK on that high of a plus Rx. I haven't followed the developments on LASIK for high hyperopes in recent years but 'back in the day' it used to be a real disaster recipe. So I'm really really pleased for you in that regard.

If you haven't already I'd strongly encourage you to read some of my articles including how to cope, surviving nights, surviving days and so on.

Was your left eye the 2nd to be operated on or first? Mind if I ask which kind of laser was used? A lot of us who had LASIK have one eye substantially worse than the other dryness-wise.

Considering where you live, and the vision-complicating factors you have with the strab, I'd focus almost before anything else on good environmental protection with moisture retaining eyewear for the daytime and moisture goggles (or some kind of physical barrier - even plastic wrap works) for night. If you're not familiar with this kind of eyewear have a look at pages 4-5 of the dryeyeshop catalog for an explanation and pictures. You can find a lot of them at local sports optical stores esp. Harley Davidson.

Considering your low TBUT it sounds like you may need a more detailed MGD workup, or at least better more detailed communication from the doctor about the status of your MGs.

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
      I have sought second opinions. One OD tried Azasite and Pred Forte, to no avail. A tear break-up test was done and my tear film breaks up ASAP with essentially no coverage. An Air Force opthamologist stated it will “take up to a year to heal back to normal tear production” and recommended Autologous Serum Tears. He claims all but one of his dozen or so patients report success with these. Today was the 16 vial blood draw. The original post-Lasik Dr recommended plugs and “ride it out” and thinks serum tears is “overkill” and not a long term solution.
      Please read my articles How to get better care from your doctor and, if necessary, How to find a better doctor.

Don't worry, you've got plenty more to try - serum tears are good but they are not necessarily the last ditch effort. Hang in there and let us know how you get on.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for the reply

Rebecca

Thanks for responding.

Laser used was the Zeiss VisuMax bladeless system to cut the flap and the LASIK itself I believe was done using either the Zeiss Mel80 or the Allegreto Wave EyeQ system. The surgeon was in Forbes Magazines Top 10 Lasik surgeons in the US. My doc actually pioneererd the Visumax obtaining FDA approval in 2007. He specializes in extreme cases. Yes, the result was great, the dry eye is the afterschock. My case was considered too far out there to try until a few years ago. They now can treat up to +6 routinely in the surgery center I went to, the only one in the state having this technology. My wife went in the week before I did, was +6/+7 and has less than a half diopter remaining at 16 weeks and no dry eye. I had both eyes done a minute apart.

Given the frustation level I have tossed a lot of treatment at once towards the problem which probably does not allow an opportunity to determine what is working (assumimg something does). My thoughts were to "correct the issue" quickly and then withdraw one thing at a time as opposed to gradually escalating treatment. I hate this extra plug in the eye as there are some times when tears flow too heavily.

The Serum tears arrived today, any anecodotes on how long it takes to work in those that respond to it favorably?

I will definitly check out the resources you mentioned. Thanks again for responding and I'm glad there is a forum to discuss this...provides a great outlet.

Comment

Rose

I guess I'm not sure who to got to or how to determine if it is a quantity or quality problem? I guess I will have to ask the Dr next go around. If I had to guess I would say both since at times I don't seem to produce much and other times I can "feel" the difference in the tear film.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
            Rose

I guess I'm not sure who to got to or how to determine if it is a quantity or quality problem? I guess I will have to ask the Dr next go around. If I had to guess I would say both since at times I don't seem to produce much and other times I can "feel" the difference in the tear film.
            Mike,

To determine quantity vs quality have an eye doctor do a schirmer test. It's a test to see how much tears your eyes are producing. A few basics to remember is don't take eye drops with preservatives in them constantly...they will make your eyes feel worse, in my experience it's one preservative drop only a couple times a day and if that's not enough use non-preservative drops to fill in the gap.

Good luck and hope you feel better.

Comment

Mike,

I agree with Adam. Ask your doctor to do a schirmers test and a tear break up test. The results of those will most likely tell you what your problem is and then you can see treatments. I believe the general rule is if your schirmers is under a 10 your problem is aqueous (or that you are tear-deficient) and if your TBUT is under 7 that means you are oil-deficient or that it's a "quality" problem. Some people have both.

Let us know what you find out.

Rose

Comment

Update

5 good days in a row. Have not had a streak this long since surgery. There have been a few brief periods of fuzzy vision and soreness but very brief. Unable to tell what is working...serum tears, plugs or restasis. I suspect the plugs are what is doing, lots of tears leaving the eye.

Comment

Working...
                X