new here, have very dry eyes with occasional corneal erosions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new here, have very dry eyes with occasional corneal erosions

Hi Rebecca and thank you for this very helpful website. As a young adult, I remember going to air-conditioned stores and restaurants and feeling a "scratchy" sensation in my eyes, and needing to get outside. About 10 yrs. ago, I couldn't immediately open my eyes upon waking from sleep...my eyelids would "stick" to my eyeball, and it would take 10 or 15 minutes to fully open my eye.

Then, about 2 yrs. ago, I had a couple of extremely painful experiences upon waking. If I opened my eyes too quickly, the eyelid would "rip" my eye and cause excruciating pain to the point where I couldn't see and was in great pain. This condition would last hours and caused me to miss work. I began reading some dry eyes forums, including this one, and began putting drops in (I tried the Qwelle) before bedtime, and using a soft mask. This worked for awhile, but the eyes continue to dry out at night, and I must re-apply the drops at night and then again before even TRYING to open them in the AM.

I have become very cautious about this whole problem...I'm now at the point where I apply drops first (Systane ultra) in the morning and then slowly "wiggle" my eyes with the drop in them before I'll attempt to open my eyes.

The eye doctor was useless, except to tell me I "probably" had some cornela erosions. He tried to put these "lacriserts" into my very sensitive eyes (which could "feel" the inserts), and just made the problem worse. I have read that "muro 28" might help for my problem, but these drops sting like hell. How can "sodium" help this problem?

Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm also wondering if this problem will continue to get worse as I get olders. Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions!

PS, forgot to mention, I take the Flax oil, and use a humidifier on all but the most humid nights. Unfortunately my work involves the constant use of my computer, and I did notice this problems gets orse (even during the day) when I'm at the computer for hours.

Comment

Hi, Kris27.

Sorry to hear that you are having RCEs, but it also sounds like they happen only in the morning for you and that you are controlling them by taking your time waking up and using drops.

We were *just* discussing Muro 128 5% drops and ointment on another thread, so you may want to check it out.

One thing that may help you at night is to wear some kind of eye protection, a simple mask could do the trick. Others tape their eyes or put Saran(tm) wrap on them. I use TranquilEyes goggles. I had the condition for about seven months before my eyes healed to the point where I felt like I could handle some pressure on my eyelids. I still wear them more than three years since my last RCE. They help me a lot.

It also may help to take some breaks while you're at the computer.

I hope that you find something that works well for you.

Best,
      Liz

Comment

Hi Liz,

Thanks so much for your reply here. Yeah, the RCEs are only in the morning, and as long as I use drops before trying to open my eyes, I have it under some kind of control. I'll check out the thread on Muro 128, because although I started using the drops occasionally, I don't understand how they might work.

7 months before your eyes healed...wow. I'm afraid to seal my eyes shut, because I apply drops in the middle of the night. I started using the warm rice baggy before sleep, and for some reason, warmth and humidity help.

Need to take more breaks from the computer!

Comment

Hi Kris -I, too, suffer from RCE and I was diagnosed with map-dot-fingerprint. Liz does a great job explaining why and how Muro works if you click on the link she provided. I use Muro drops 3-4 X/daily and Muro ointment at night. It is the only thing that helps me. The drops burn a little but the truth is, I look forward to taking them because they do provide me with relief and I know exactly how they are helping my corneas. A little bit of burn is way better than an erosion!

Hoping you find what works for you!
          Neve

Comment

Trying Muro 128

Hi Neve,

Thanks, and I did read the explanation by Liz on how Muro 128 works...would never have figured it out! I'm very excited now to use the product, because the RCE's were getting me so down. It stings, but to prevent the RCE's, I'll do almost anything!! I'll post my progress here.

Comment

Just a short update: I've been using the Muro 128 every night now, and since I started, have not had any recurrances of the "corneal ripping" in the morning. I am just so happy about this...the burn upon application, and temporary red-eyes are easily tolerated, compared to the debilitating pain of the erosions.

Comment

Working...
              X