Some questions about MGD/blepharitis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions about MGD/blepharitis

Hey everyone. I've been reading posts on here for a while and finally became a member. I would be lost without this website and I'm so thankful for all of you, not that your suffering, but that I'm not alone.

About 6 months ago my eyes went dry in the middle of the day. I was just standing there and all of a sudden both eyes dry as raisins. 5 doctors later I finally have diagnosis...mgd/posterior blepharitis.

My question is...is there any hope in recovering from this through nutrition and the usual warm compress and lid cleanings? What causes mgd?[/U][/U]

I had LASIKS in 2007 and have been wondering if this is some long term side effect even though all of the doctors I've seen deny it (one doctor even said my eyes weren't dry even though I have a TBUT < 5 seconds and the thread test was 7mm for both eyes, so I'm losing my trust in doctors).

Best wishes everyone

Hi Lacey1

I was just browsing through for unanswered posts and saw this... sorry. You've probably posted it elsewhere and been answered but I thought I'd just reply anyway.

Originally posted by Lacey1 View Post
    My question is...is there any hope in recovering from this through nutrition and the usual warm compress and lid cleanings?
    Regarding nutrition: anything is possible. I have known people who improved dramatically on a particular omega 3 and/or 6. I've also known people who improved after eliminating certain vitamins including anything with Vitamin A.

Regarding warm compress/lid cleanings: There's no point doing these things unless you specifically need them. Active anterior blepharitis usually needs lid cleaning. Heat is only helpful with some oil clogging and quality problems, not with oil underproduction.

I guess for all treatments, my ideal world is that the deficiency or problem be carefully diagnosed so that we don't waste our time or worse yet risk harming ourselves with things that aren't relevant to our individual situation. On the other hand tere are plenty of palliative things, like cool compresses and moisture chambers, that help symptoms without risk of being misapplied.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
    X