Candida treatment helped dry eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candida treatment helped dry eye

I have been undergoing treatment for Candida for a month and have just noticed that my eyes aren’t nearly as dry and red as they were. My eye Dr said they were extremely dry and recommended steroid drops which I was considering because I’ve had so much trouble wearing my contact lenses when inside, especially when there are fans running. I found this web-site when I googled to see if there was any correlation between dry eye and Candida.

I’m definitely no expert, but I thought I’d share some of the things I have learned. My Candida was probably caused by excessive antibiotic use. Unfortunately, many conventional physicians don’t seem to believe in Candida and it was my Chiropractor who diagnosed me. I understand somewhat because any google search will bring up multitudes of Candida-cure web-sites, many looking to sell products. I urge you to google any of these products with the word scam after them, just in case. Maybe the web-sites that come up are just competitors looking to get the upper hand, but at least you can be fully informed before buying treatments. Some sites suggest you can self diagnose if you answer yes to a certain number of questions on a questionnaire or do the “spit in the cup test”. This may all be true, but my unprofessional opinion is that the best way to be diagnosed with Candida is by using a credible lab that has sufficient technology to diagnose it. Many labs don’t have that capability. Two that I know for sure that do are Metametrix Clinical Laboratory and Genova Diagnostics. They have a link on their web-sites to find health care professionals in your area who use their labs. It is important to not start antifungal treatment until you have been tested because Metametrix is able to grow out the yeast to determine what course of treatment would be the most effective. It is also important to get tested because Candida can mimic other diseases, such as Lyme disease. This is not Systemic Candida, which is usually only found in people with AIDS, etc., it is simply an overgrowth of yeast in my intestines. The yeast makes it difficult for nutrients to be absorbed, which can cause many problems. Unfortunately, my insurance did not cover this testing, which boggles my mind. It makes me so sad to think some people will never be diagnosed because of the attitude of the medical community. I’ve heard that it can be dangerous to take high doses of some antifungals. Please use caution and if really is important to work with an experienced professional.

The Candida diet I’m on is extremely challenging. People with Candida are often sensitive to wheat, gluten, dairy, soy and especially sugar, beer and some alcohol. Please be aware that going on this diet can cause deficiency in some vitamins, minerals. Another controversial diagnosis is Leaky Gut Syndrome, also referred to as Intestinal Permeability. The Candida can cause the digestive tract to become damaged. Spaces open up, allowing large food particles to be absorbed into the body, which are then regarded as 'foreign' to the body's defense system. This can cause antibodies to be produced to fight what were once harmless foods, creating new, out of the blue, food allergies.

In the last month, I have experienced an improvement in my many digestion issues as well my emotional and focus (brain fog) issues. Studies have shown a definite gut/mind link. I have been on anti-depressants, other meds for many years that I am hopeful I’ll be able to eventually cut back on. My skin is much less dry, my fingernails are actually growing instead of cracking and splitting, my eyebrows are growing in thicker and I’m hoping that my hair, which is very dry and damaged, will have some of the natural oils restored soon.

After reading through some of the forum entries, it appears many here have been on antibiotics for long periods. I’m sure there are very good reasons for doing this, antibiotics can be a very powerful and effective treatment for many different conditions. There is so much controversy about all of this, nothing has been proven conclusively, but if I ever need antibiotics again, I will definitely take probiotics, natural antifungals and eat lots of live culture yogurt at the same time to ensure the good bacteria in my gut is replaced.

I’m sorry that so many of you have to suffer with dry eye problems. I am grateful I found this site because it convinced me to take Lasik surgery off my “to do eventually” list.

I hope this information might help someone find relief, as I have, and save them the frustration and time I spent trying to get this all figured out. Again, I’m no expert, please do your own research if any of this applies to you. I’m just trying to get through this, dealing with a very restrictive diet and the side effects from the treatment, feeling very let down by my PCP, and grateful for the Chiropractor that has given me so much hope for the future.

Hi solstice,

I am so glad that the candida diet is working for you. It just goes to show how all the parts of our bodies are connected and influence each other. I am taking doxcycycline for my dry eye symptoms and trying to remember to take my probiotics. Do you know what is considered to be a natural antifungal agent?

I am doing a happy dance as I read "take Lasik surgery off my 'to do eventually list'! Absolutely, if you have had any symptoms of dry eyes, you do not want to be messing with lasik, or any other refractive surgery. Lasik was on my 'to try' list and I have regretted that decision every day for the past four months. I may have had some dry eye. . . I was never diagnosed. Shortly after surgery I developed severe dry eye . . . and depression. Please do not go there . . . If you want to be free of glasses, check into the newer gas permeable lenses that are on the market. . . a much safer option than lasik.

Thanks for all the information!

Bella_girl

Comment

Hi Bella_girl,
      I'm sorry you've had so much trouble because of Lasik. Depression is so tough...

I use a Co. called Moss Nutrition. I would research what products to take if I have to go on antibiotics again, definitely consulting one of their reps. I know they have a product called C-away, oil of oregano, and a garlic product that are good antifungals.
      Good luck,
      solstice

Comment

Hi Solstice, any update on how the diet worked for you?

By the way, if you are still having these problems, you'll want to get checked for hypothyroidism:
        "My skin is much less dry, my fingernails are actually growing instead of cracking and splitting, my eyebrows are growing in thicker and I’m hoping that my hair, which is very dry and damaged, will have some of the natural oils restored soon. "

Comment

Originally posted by gilligan_1434 View Post
          Hi Solstice, any update on how the diet worked for you?

By the way, if you are still having these problems, you'll want to get checked for hypothyroidism:
          "My skin is much less dry, my fingernails are actually growing instead of cracking and splitting, my eyebrows are growing in thicker and I’m hoping that my hair, which is very dry and damaged, will have some of the natural oils restored soon. "
          Hi Gilligan
          I'm doing well on the diet. I've been able to add in more foods and it is a lot more manageable. My best discovery has been Stevia. Just a few drops can transform nasty tasting, very nutricious smoothies into something much more palatable! There is life after sugar.... I won't be retested for yeast and leaky gut for a few months. This is a very slow process but I'm feeling better. My thyroid was tested and is normal and I continue to see improvements, I'm sure from the combination of treating the yeast infection and all the supplements I'm taking.
          Thanks for your interest,
          solstice

Comment

Hi solstice

could you be a a bit more specific about the diet that you are doing. What are the food that you need to avoid when you have Candida? Also what other symptoms besides dry eyes you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Pearl25 View Post
              Hi solstice

could you be a a bit more specific about the diet that you are doing. What are the food that you need to avoid when you have Candida? Also what other symptoms besides dry eyes you have?
              Candida diet is tough, most important is no sugar. Also, no yeast, gluten, dairy. Best to work with professional if possible after labs to confirm diagnosis.

My main symptoms were digestive problems, depression, brain fog, coated tongue.

Comment

Originally posted by solstice View Post
                Candida diet is tough, most important is no sugar. Also, no yeast, gluten, dairy.
                That's like my whole diet. It's good that your dry eye symptoms have gotten better. With you cutting so much out of your diet, it's hard to possibly pinpoint what may have helped reduce your dry eye symptoms. I am trying to change my diet and eat healthier and avoid processed food, cut back on sodium intake and cutting sugars except for fresh fruits. Just like diabetes and high blood pressure, perhaps there are other illnesses and diseases that are rooted in a bad diet.
                Natasha - suffering from dry eyes

Comment

Working...
                X