New to blog. Dry eyes x 5 months. On Restasis and HR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to blog. Dry eyes x 5 months. On Restasis and HR

Hi, my name is Joan and I'm in my mid 50s in the midst of menopause and have developed DES. I had Lasik surgery in my 40s and was fine until 5 months ago. I also experienced dry eyes during my pregancys (3) and with breastfeeding--so I feel I have a hormonal component going on here.
    My dry eye symptoms started with heavy eye lids in the morning--I thought I was developing a muscular disease except for the fact that I only had the problem upon waking. Sadly, it quickly accelerated to tearing my corneal membranes upon opening my eyes in the morning. I was in a panic for relief. I had many visits to my opthamologist (not the one who did my Lasik unfortunately, couldn't get past his front desk people to talk to him) and am now using Restasis eye drops and am on hormone replacement (low dose, research says I'm safe to do this for at least 7 years). My condition is "better"--so thankful no more tearing anyway. I feel the need for Restasis like clockwork and wake a couple times/night needing to instill Oasis Plus drops. Am thankful I no longer need to use "goopy ointment" which I had really needed before the drops started to work. It was very expensive too--the only one that worked well was the Miro .9% normal saline. The drops of that brand didn't work--killed me-burned like heck! Any helpful feedback would be appreciated! I hope we will soon find a great and easy fix for this condition!!! It's horrible!

Hi Joan and welcome to the site. I might not have much to offer you in way of ideas, but this forum is a wealth of knowledge so I hope you find the help and support you need here. I know I did.
    Best of luck,
    fiddle

Comment

Working...
    X