Dry eyes and Hashimotos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry eyes and Hashimotos

I got dry eyes 2.5 years ago. I use Viscotears in daytime and neutral vaseline drops when I go to bed. I have to drip my eyes often, from about every 20 - 50 minutes trough the day. 2 hours without dripping Viscotears is absolutely maximum. Often my eyes look red and bloodshot. Some months ago I had a feeling of swollen tear canal. I often have a feeling of having sand or small stones in my eyes. My right eye often have a feeling of, maybe pain is a to strong word, but it certainly don’t feel right. I have Hashimotos, I am hypothyroid. I do not think I have Sjögrens disease, because I do not have dry mouth. I have just some days ago started with Restasis. It is my feeling that my eye doc does not have many other options in my treatment than Viscotears. I had to argue with him about starting with Restasis, he did not know about it. I feel a little frustrated about my doc. He gave me very little information about my dry eyes, too little in my opinion. He says it is difficult to know what caused my dry eyes. If it have to do with my auto-immunity or not. In the last weeks I have started to have red and irritated skin under my eyes. I am wondering if this can be an allergic reaction to my eyedrops? I stopped using mascara etc when I got dry eyes.

''Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat: Although Thyroid Eye Disease is more commonly associated with Graves' Disease (Hyperthyroidism), it can also be associated with Hypothyroidism.''

From: http://original.thyroid-fed.org/intro/patients.html

Comment

Your description sound like my problem also.

Reindeer: Your description of a feeling of sand or small stones in my eyes is right on the mark for me. I have hypothyroid and am on 75 mcg levothyroxine per day, but my dry eyes are just as bad as they were when I started on the levothyroxine. My physician is increasing the dosage by 25 mcg every two weeks as long as my tests show my thyroid levels are low, but waiting for the tests and then the increased dosage is driving me crazy. All I can do is put in eye drops, and try to humidify my eyes as best as I can. Has the Restasis helped?

Comment

-----------------------------
        Last edited by Jenn1; 23-Apr-2012, 05:50.

Comment

A quick followup on my previous post. The physician who diagnosed me as having Hashimoto's does not believe my dry eye is related because,
          as he says, "it is not a typical symptom of Hashimoto's." The fact that my thyroid went haywire at the same time my dry eye started is just
          a coincidence. May.......beeeeeeeee. I will be proceeding as outlined above. Made an appointment with an ophthalmologist today. I hope he has
          more insight. I will keep the forum updated.

Warren

Comment

Working...
          X