Newbie with questions ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with questions ...

I posted a post last week and was so grateful for the replies already. I am new to the forum and have some questions...

1) When someone replies to a post and I reply back do they know that?

2) Am I supposed to reply back to the post or the person or does that not matter?

3) Now for the tricky question. Prior to my LASIK, I was unaware of any problems with MGD. But my doctors as well as advice in this forum suggests I do warm compresses and a daily scrub. And I think it helps. Although I did that an hour ago and put celluvisc in almost an hour ago and I still have this frustrating burning. Sorry ... back to the question. Why does LASIK cause MGD? I thought the creation of the flap just severd the nerves and that regrowth is what takes time???

Part of my problem (my educational background is in engineering) is that I over analyze everything ... creating additional and unwanted anxiety.

Thanks,
    Tom

Originally posted by tommyboy View Post
    I posted a post last week and was so grateful for the replies already. I am new to the forum and have some questions...

1) When someone replies to a post and I reply back do they know that?
    It depends in their settings. If they've never tinkered with their settings, then no, they won't know unless they go look at the thread. If they have 'subscribed' to the thread, or if they have selected something under "Default Thread Subscription Mode" in their profile, then they'll get notified by email.

2) Am I supposed to reply back to the post or the person or does that not matter?
    Not necessary - totally up to you. It's always nice to reply so people know whether they've been helpful but replying to absolutely every reply can get a little cluttered.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Tom,

Someone on this forum said that, because we are over-analyzers, it is probably no small miracle that we took the leap to have LASIK in the first place. I am sure the same can be said for you.

And when I think about LASIK outcomes, I truly believe there are people walking around with occasional burning and dry eye issues, but they are SO HAPPY with the improvements in their vision that they can get past the uncomfortable feelings.

So I guess what I am saying, is that situations differ from person to person and it all falls on a sliding scale. If you could take a step back for a moment and think about what you do have and still have - your vision, your family, your job, etc. - it might put things in perspective a bit more. Those people aren't going away, neither is your job, just relax and try to get through this rough patch, because that's all it is.

To answer your question about MGD, I believe what happens to us is that we have MGD lurking in the background but by just being glasses-wearers, we don't experience many issues. Doctors don't really understand MGD all that much either, so we have that to pile in there as well.

But combine MGD with LASIK and then the decreased tear production, blah blah blah, that comes after LASIK, and it's a breeding ground for pain/burning.

Getting a handle on the MGD is the key to comfort (if you do in fact have MGD). That is what you must uncover, why you are having more dry eye issues than the next person. Is it aqueous aka a general tear deficiency, or is it evaporative aka a lipid deficiency (aka MGD)? A mixture of both?

Once I was able to get a proper diagnosis I could go about my plan of attack and stop spinning my wheels and drowning in the "what-ifs" and the anxiety. I think the same can be said for you.

Rose

Comment

Thanks Rose ... I think I will take your advice and start with the onion glasses. Again, I appreciate you making the time to give me a meaningful and actionable response.

Regards,
        Tom

Comment

Working...
        X