Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to dry eyes + question about meibomian glands

Hello,

After 8 months of going to different opticians and opthamologists, because of the sudden appearance of many red, permanent veins on the white of my eyes, I was finally told I had dry eye. For a while now my eyes have felt dry and scratchy throughout the day and I have a burning sensation similar to when cutting onions, when I close my eyes. More recently I am experiencing itching in the nasal corners of my eyes. I find that thick gels and preservative eye drops give me good, temporary relief for the dryness but not so much the itching or burning.

I was given a Schirmer test a few days ago (papery strips inserted into lower eyelid for 5 minutes to test how many millimetres are moistened in this time) and was told for the first time that I have very dry eyes. I produced 5mm of tears; 10-15mm is considered normal. The opthamologist said that not only are my eyes not producing enough tears, but the tears they are producing are of poor quality. I had gone to this doc 3 times over the past 2 months and he didn't do this test until now.

He has put me on FML (the first time I went I was given FLUCON) and given me some thick gel for night time as well as preservative free drops to use throughout the day. Also I have to go and get tested at a rheumatologist for Sjogren's next week.

When I got home I googled dry eye and learned that the eye moisture is actually composed of 3 substances. I wish I had known this already when I was at the opthamologist's because I could have asked which substance my tears are lacking in.

The reason I want to know is, I read that if the meibomian glands which produce an essential oily substance, are blocked, they can cause dry eye. I am wondering whether this could be the cause of my dryness or at least part of it.

I looked in the mirror and saw that areas where the glands are supposed to be seem a little raised rather than flat. There doesn't seem to be any discharge. I also noticed that the part of the eyelid which is exposed (inside of the eyelash line) is generally looking tough and pale, and even has a sort of crusted/frosted look to it.

I fear that maybe this opthamologist didn't really look out for a bacterial infection (often the cause of meibomian gland blockage) or that maybe he did not really give enough attention to my meibomian glands.

If anyone would be able to give me a little more insight on what normal vs blocked meibomian glands look like I would greatly appreciate this.

Thank you. P.S this website is a godsend, I hope everyone here finds the relief they are looking for.

Maria
    Last edited by M@ri@; 10-Feb-2012, 07:56.
Working...
X