stats question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stats question

Does anyone know the percentage of people who develop dry eye as a result of lasik surgery?

That's a toughie. In the first few months the percentage is known to be quite high. But not too many studies have a long enough follow-up period to show definitely what the rate is, say, a couple of years later. - And that's compounded by the difficulty of 'quantifying' dry eye when the symptoms are moderate to severe but the clinical signs aren't. It's always been my impression that a lot of LASIK dry eye patients have poor correlation between signs and symptoms.

Given the numbers of people that have had LASIK, even if the number is small in percentage terms it's big in absolute numbers.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Smoke and Mirrors

Rebecca, I read your reply and it just about made me cry. Don't tell me this could go on for years!!
      Originally posted by Rebecca Petris
      a couple of years later.
      Here I am struggling after 9 months post surgery hoping that I get a little improvement every month. I just want to get to the point where it doesn't have such an adverse impact on my life.

I agree with your comments about quantifying. I had great difficulty convincing my Doctor that I had dry eye symptoms - I even had corneal abrasions to prove it, and he still dissmissed me saying that I had "loads of tears" and "that was mentioned in the consent form".

Fortunately my new doctor is interested in my progress and I seem to be moving very slowly forward, every step forward has to be a bonus.

I would be very interested to know what the true percentages are, although I think it will be quite some time (if ever) before these numbers are known.

If anyone finds any studies, please post the links, I would be interested in reading them.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

I am so sorry, Ian. I sure didn't mean to imply any likelihood of something long-term! If it's any comfort, based on both the studies that have been done and on the limited anecdotal evidence, certainly the vast majority get over it in the first months or if not then, the first year. True long-term dry eye is relatively unusual.

There was an interesting study recently published by some pretty big names in dry eye. It quoted considerably higher rates than many other studies.. Here's a link. You can see the rates for 1 week to 6 months in the abstract.

You'll see a variety of rates depending on which study you read - due at least in part to differences in methodology for measuring dry eye. The study I linked to used corneal staining.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Sorry Rebecca, didn't mean anything by my comments, I was trying to raise my own humor level as I have been having a tough time with DES again lately.

I am absolutely confident that I will get this under control as things seem to be improving (even if it is very slowly). As you all know, it is sometimes difficult being positive all the time as DES can be so debilitating.

Thanks for the link - I will check out the article, and thanks again for your support.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Would a class action lawsuit be possible if the stats were high given that you weren't properly informed of the risks of the proceedure beforehand?

Comment

Legal action - Not an option!

Danny,

My consent form (like most of them I would anticipate) covers everything from the common cold through to blindness as being possible side effects, so I don't think a law suit would have any foundation, besides, I am not interested nor do I have the energy to take legal action as this has already consumed me for too long.

I will be happier when I feel that I have my symptoms under control and can manage day to day without a constant focus on my eyes.

Thanks for your comments and have a great day.

Ian

Comment

Working...
              X