New to DEZ - 6 month anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to DEZ - 6 month anniversary

I would like to introduce myself. As many of you have started i have been a silent reader on DEZ for several months. Today is my 6 month anniversary of having had LASIK and as such, given the significance of today, I figured it was a good day to make my first post.

I have suffered from dry eye since i had my surgery. I have given up on dealing with my LASIK clinic and have yet to find a doctor. I am currently only treating my dry eye with regular over the counter drops. My dry eye is managelable in the day (although annoying) but debilitating in the evening. Right now i am in a very dark place. I am 30 years old and was just starting to plan my life with my boyfriend. I feel as though i have thrown my whole life down the drain and i spend most of my time crying now.

I hope one day i will be able to post on what has helped me. I hope one day i will be able to tell a newbie like myself that life is still worth living and it will get better. I hope i have the strength to carry on with life after LASIK/dry eye like so many of you have done.

The site is a wealth of support. Thank you

Adele - I am in the same place you are.... 5 1/2 months. I will try to make some time later today to tell you what has been helping me.

Cheers,
    Tom

Comment

Hello Adele, I had LASIK about 10 1/2 months ago. My eyes continue to improve slowly and I am no longer worrying about them every moment of the day. They are still dry at night but I just use drops when I wake up in the middle of the night and where goggles on an off. I just ordered the onyx goggles and seem to feel pretty comfortable. A few things that you may want to try if you haven't already is tear duct plugs (my lower ducts are plugged) they seem to help. Also fish oil, no eye make-up (bummer), and warm compresses in the evening when your eyes are burning or driving you crazy. I also took a low dose of valium in the evening once or twice a week (when I was at my worst) to get some relief from the anxiety. You don't want to become dependent on it but it really helped take the edge off and got me through the next couple of days. I really believe the worrying makes the eyes feel much worse but it is very hard to control your emotions when your life has been turned upside down. I also practice meditative yoga which helps relax me with the deep breathing. It took me a good 8 month to realize things could get better and my life was not ruined. Hang in there...one day at a time

Comment

The dreaded LASIK anniversary, I can't remember anything date wise - birthday's, appointments, special events in my life but I can remember the date of my LASIK surgery! I'm almost 7 months post LASIK and struggling with dry eye. Posting on this site has helped me a lot, it took me 5 months to get the confidence to post but their are so many nice, helpful people on this site. Every thread I have started or private message I have sent has been answered.

The best advice I got was not to be so hard on myself, there is a lot of self blame when LASIK goes wrong. My vanity caused me to get LASIK but it was not vanity that caused my dry eye it was my clinic's lack of honesty and downplaying the risks of LASIK. No-one asks for dry eye and if you are told by "so called" experts that you are a good candidate(as I'm sure you were) then you take their word for it.

Basically go easy on yourself and hopefully the mental side of things will improve I know it did for me.

Comment

Originally posted by robster View Post

The best advice I got was not to be so hard on myself, there is a lot of self blame when LASIK goes wrong. My vanity caused me to get LASIK but it was not vanity that caused my dry eye it was my clinic's lack of honesty and downplaying the risks of LASIK. No-one asks for dry eye and if you are told by "so called" experts that you are a good candidate(as I'm sure you were) then you take their word for it.
          I agree, although I was given accutane and I dont think anyone in their right mind could ever think some pills could cause such agony and damage to ones sight as it just doesnt happen. I just hope that those responsible for causing the damage are held to account and in future.

Comment

Hi Adele,

I would have to echo everything that has been said so far. I am 9 months out of lasik. . . I am thrilled with each day that passes and moves me further and further away from that fateful day. I experienced dry eye within the first week. I found this web site and realized how bad post lasik dry eye could be, and also, more importantly, that there was hope. People do find a way to heal from this experience.

At this point I am emotionally much better. . . eating better, sleeping more fitfully, more optimistic. Coincidentally my eyes have improved to the point where I do not think about them all the time. I am fairly comfortable through the day, although at night my eyes get dry every three hours or so. I strongly believe that anxiety makes things worse. . . although how do you not worry when you are in such discomfort.

I encourage you to 'pamper' yourself as much as possible. Go out of your way to do things you enjoy: funny movies, singing, knitting, talking with friends, eating favourite salads (this was a godsend when I did not feel like eating much). I also think that relaxation/meditation and belly breathing is key to combating the stress. I think that when we are stressed, or should I say in shock/fear, we do not breathe effectively. My guess is that hormones responsible for keeping our mouth and eyes moist, just don't work as well. So force yourself to learn to like meditating. Listen to meditation CDs, they are very relaxing, even if you don't actually meditate.

Check out the popular supplements that are being used. I personally like:
            -fish oil and flax oil
            -400 iu of vitamin E
            -10,000 iu vitamin A
            -4000 iu vitamin D
            -1000 mg vitamin C
            -liquid B complex
            -curcumin (by Biomor) acts as anit-inflammatory
            -lacto-ferrin 250 mg
            -digestive enzymes with meals
            -mint flavoured chlorophyll in my drinking water
            -pro-biotic
            -good quality protein powder in a shake

Also, limit: alcohol, caffeine, sugar

Trust your body. It is healing itself each and every day. With adequate nutrition, rest . . . and time, it will continue to heal.

Comment

Welcome to the site adele, sorry it has to be under these circumstances. I agree with all these posts and would offer the same advice. Be good to yourself and allow yourself the time to heal from this surgery. I can tell you I was there too for months after my lasik and cried everyday I think, the anxiety built as did my despair, but trust that you are not alone and what you are feeling many of us have too. It seems to me that going through this process of sadness (for lack of a better word) is part of the healing for the emotional side of this surgery, something that does not seem to be understood much less acknowledged by lasik clinics. Your eyes will get better and there will come a day when you will wake up and your eyes will not be the first thing on your mind. The stories on this site are full of hope and encouragement I have found. Take strength in them.
              fiddle

Comment

Lacriserts by night

Originally posted by adele View Post
                I would like to introduce myself. As many of you have started i have been a silent reader on DEZ for several months. Today is my 6 month anniversary of having had LASIK and as such, given the significance of today, I figured it was a good day to make my first post.

I have suffered from dry eye since i had my surgery. I have given up on dealing with my LASIK clinic and have yet to find a doctor. I am currently only treating my dry eye with regular over the counter drops. My dry eye is managelable in the day (although annoying) but debilitating in the evening.
                If your problems are at night you might ask one of your doctors to try Lacriserts. They become a gooey mess when used all day, but work great when you sleep at night. I hope no one gets angry that I am plugging these dissolving inserts. I have no financial interest in them. My only interest is in making some additional suggestions that I do not see mentioned.
                Right now i am in a very dark place. I am 30 years old and was just starting to plan my life with my boyfriend. I feel as though i have thrown my whole life down the drain and i spend most of my time crying now.

I hope one day i will be able to post on what has helped me. I hope one day i will be able to tell a newbie like myself that life is still worth living and it will get better. I hope i have the strength to carry on with life after LASIK/dry eye like so many of you have done.

The site is a wealth of support. Thank you
                I tried to insert my thoughts where they belong but it says my post is too short. So, this is just filler.

Comment

Thank you & update

Thank you all for replying. As much as i don't wish this on my enemy, i take comfort in the fact that there is somebody out there that understands what i am going through. I am now at 7 months and my eyes feel just as crummy. I have gone to a new doctor who is supposed to be very good (although i found out he also performs lasik ). He has suggested plugs so i guess i will try those.

I have made some adjustments: no more coffee/alcohol, humidifiers, no makeup, fish oils, lots of water/coconut water, warm compresses at night

I know i should be thankful that i can still manage to work and have loved ones but ultimatly i am focusing on what i fear i lost (motherhood, travel, concerts, dinners, having a moment where i dont think about my eyes/lasik decision ...) and what future bad things may come to my eyes (in the last few weeks i have developed floaters also - wahoo).

My loved ones are pushing me to go to counselling. Have any of you tried it and did you find it helpful?

If only there were do-overs in life....
                  Thank you all for encouragment and sharing

Comment

Working...
                  X